The report was based on data from a survey of 413 people in the United States who own a business that has fewer than 500 employees.
Some 59% of respondents say they worked a full-time job while initially building their own own business.
The reasons small business owners started their own firms range widely by industry, the survey found.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- How to Get to Great Ideas by Pushing Past the Obvious: Dave Birss Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Overcoming Isolation to Boost Employee Engagement: 'Back to Human' Author Dan Schawbel on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Grow Your Company Fast: 'Scale or Fail' Author Allison Maslan on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Put the 'Function' in Cross-Functional Teams [Infographic]
- Seven Challenges Plaguing the Modern Workplace [Infographic]