The report was based on data from a survey of 357 SEO agencies, consultants, and freelancers.
Three-quarters of respondents say they charge clients a monthly retainer fee.
Some 59% SEO specialists offer only one pricing model, and 67% of that group charge a monthly retainer. In other words, 40% of all respondents only charge a monthly retainer and do not offer hourly or per-project pricing to clients.
The researchers found that $501-$1,000 per month is the most popular monthly retainer rate for SEO specialists, with 23% of respondents charging that rate.
Some 51% of SEO agencies charge more than $1,000 per month, compared with only 45% of consultants and 33% of freelancers.
Experienced SEO specialists tend to charge more for their services, the analysis found.
The average monthly retainer rate for specialists who have been in business for two years or more is nearly double that of specialists who have been in business for two years or less.
The researchers found that $100-$150 per hour is the most popular hourly rate for SEO specialists, with 25% of respondents charging that rate.
The researchers found that $501-$1,000 is the most popular per-project fee, with 25% of respondents charging that rate.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 357 SEO agencies, consultants, and freelancers.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Search Engine Marketing:
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Impacting SEO: Chris Rodgers on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Organic Search vs. Paid Search: What's the Difference? [Infographic]
- Unlock the Power of Your SEO: A Beginner's Guide to Measuring Success
- ChatGPT vs. Bard: The Future of Google's Search Dominance
- Unleashing the Power of Pillar-Based Marketing: Ryan Brock on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Healthcare SEO Trends for 2023: AI to the Rescue?