Do people recognize famous advertising jingles? How well do members of different generations recall different commercial tunes?
To find out, Signs.com quizzed 504 consumers of various ages. The study participants were tested on whether they could recognize 10 famous jingles, and they were also asked to fill in blanks introduced in jingle lyrics by the researchers (you can test your own knowledge here).
Among the jingles included in the study, the most universally recognized across all generations were those of Kit Kat, Folgers, and Nationwide.
The Hormel jingle was the least recognized song across all generations.
Fewer than one in five Baby Boomers were able to recognize the Mentos jingle, even though ti was recognized by more than half of Gen Xers and Millennials.
Gen X-ers averaged the highest recall rate of jingles among the three generations quizzed.
Baby Boomers were best able to recall the lyrics to the Oscar Mayer jingle, Gen X-ers were best able to recall the lyrics to the Folgers jingle, and Millennials were best able to recall the lyrics to the Klondike jingle.
About the research: The report was based on data from a quiz of 504 consumers of various ages. The study participants were tested on whether they could recognize ten famous jingles; they were also asked to fill in blanks in lyrics (you can test your own knowledge here).
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Advertising & Promotions:
- Tough Times Ahead: Global Digital Ad Forecast for 2022-2024
- The End of Third-Party Cookies Is a New Beginning for Digital Advertisers: Arsen Avakian on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Love, Hate, or Indifferent? How People Feel About 6 Common Ad Formats
- The Drivers of the Current Digital Advertising Boom
- It's Time to Embrace Personalization and Education in Your OTT Advertising Model
- Global Ad Spend Forecast for 2023: A Slowdown Ahead