What is the most popular B2B email newsletter format? How many messages do marketers send each month? Whom do newsletters come from? How long are they?
To find out, Find A Way Media examined 78 marketing email newsletters sent by B2B companies that operate in a range of different verticals. The researchers analyzed messages sent by the firms over a three-month period to determine format, length, sender, and frequency trends.
The researchers identified four common B2B newsletter formats:
- The Summarizer (emails that packaged pieces the firm had published)
- The Hard Sell (emails focused on product/service benefits)
- The Homepage (emails that curated content from across the Web and provided analysis/context)
- The Forwarder (emails that provided no context and were simply generated when the firm published a new piece of content)
Some 69% of the messages examined fell into The Summarizer bucket, 18% into The Hard Sell, 8% into The Homepage, and 5% into The Forwarder.
Some 66% of the B2B firms included in the study send email newsletters from an account that uses the company name, 18% send emails that come from a specific person at the company, 13% from a person who is not identified, and 3% from a made-up name.
B2B firms send 5.8 emails per month, on average, to subscribers (the median number was 5).
Email newsletters from B2B marketers are 273 words long, on average.
About the research: The report was based on a study of 78 marketing email newsletters sent by B2B companies that operate in a range of different verticals. The researchers analyzed messages sent by the firms over a three-month period to determine format, length, sender, and frequency trends.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- Seven Crucial Marketing Automation Workflows You Need for Building Campaigns
- 10 Email Marketing Do's and Don'ts for Campaign Success [Infographic]
- Five Steps for Leading Email Marketing Through Change and Crisis
- Sneak Peek: 2020 Email Trends and Strategies to Know
- How COVID-19 Affected Email Benchmarks in 19 Industries in Spring 2020