The report was based on analysis of campaigns sent in March and April 2020 by Campaign Monitor customers globally in 19 industries. The researchers compared the monthly average open rate, clickthrough rate, click-to-open rate, and unsubscribe rate for 2020 with the corresponding period and rate in 2019 (see the full methodology as well as an in-depth analysis by vertical here).
Compared with the year-earlier period, the average open rate across all industries examined increased 4.1% in March and 3.6% in April.
That rise in engagement was not because of fewer campaigns: Total send volume across industries stayed consistent with 2019 March and April levels.
However, the changes in engagement varied significantly by industry. For example, the average open rate for the Education vertical was up 13.2% in March, whereas the average open rate for the Automotive and Aerospace industry was down 4.6%.
About the research: The report was based on analysis of campaigns sent in March and April, 2020, by Campaign Monitor customers globally in 19 industries.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email:
- When and How to Use Plain-Text Email in Marketing: Use Cases, Design Best-Practices
- Email at Scale: How to Increase Campaigns and Manage Complexity
- How to Effectively Use CTAs in B2B Cold Emailing
- Email Subject Line Benchmarks for Common Tactics and Words
- Taking the Mystery Out of Email Deliverability [Infographic]
- More Meaningful Metrics: Four Tips for Marketers Post-Apple iOS 15 Privacy Updates