The report was based on data from a survey of 120 senior management executives across companies of various sizes and industry sectors.
Asked about leadership gaps and holes in their marketing organizations, business executives listed the primary areas where they see a need for more skills, proficiency, and capability.
The survey also asked in which performance and value creation areas business leaders are looking for marketing to step up.
The solution, according to business leaders, may not be in-house: Many executives said interim or fractional marketing leaders can add value, primarily by introducing new ideas and ways of thinking into the marketing department:
Other findings from the study:
- Revenue and sales growth is the top deliverable for Marketing, report 80% of survey respondents, with customer acquisition and profitability a close second (71%).
- 69% of business executives say they are extremely or moderately confident in Marketing's ability to lead growth recovery in 2021.
- 84% say they are closely, regularly, or increasingly interacting with their marketing team.
- Collaboration and alignment between lines of business, functional areas, and Marketing is viewed as close, balanced, effective, and well-integrated by 37% of respondents; the same percentage say it is getting better all the time.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 120 senior management executives across companies of various sizes and industry sectors.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- Maximizing Your B2B Marketing Budget—Recession Strategies and Tips: Lindsay Boyajian Hagan on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The Pros and Cons of Printed Marketing Materials
- Customer Marketing: The Key to Surviving the Economic Downturn
- Industry Foresight: Forecasting the Future of Your Market
- First-Party Data Isn't Enough: You'll Need the Right Data Infrastructure to Derive Value From Your Marketing Data
- The Attention Economy—How Time Affects Your B2B Marketing Efforts: Doug Binder on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]