I recently received an e-mail from one of my Marketing Minute readers. I think the honest fear he expressed is one that most of us had entertained more than once. With his permission, I'd like to share it with you and get your thoughts.
Here's a paraphrased version of what he asked.
AM I GETTING TOO OLD?
As a 43-year-old marketing director, how do I stay in touch with a target market of 18-30 year olds? As we get older, how we practice marketing and stay current?
Here are some things that triggered this email:
1) I started a local Marketing Group about 4 months ago. Attendance at our meetings has really grown. However, as I look around the room, I might be the oldest one in the room. I'm starting to feel like a dinosaur.
2) I had suggested that we get an outsider's perspective on some ideas we're kicking around at work, so we invited 4 members from this marketing group to our place of business to act as a focus group. Our executive staff pitched some ideas to them and asked for reactions.
After the meeting the several of the staff in our company were commenting on the good questions that were being asked and the insightful comments that had been made from the marketing panel. Now I'm starting to feel insecure. And then they started commenting on how young they all looked.
3) Then my boss makes the comment that he realizes our staff is getting older and what we think is cool might not necessarily be so in the real world.
Am I freaking out unnecessarily?
What do you think? Can we age out? Be honest - do you worry about becoming obsolete? After all, our world is changing faster than the speed of light. Are we sure we can keep up?
I'll share my answer to my reader's e-mail but first, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Continue reading "Can We Outgrow Marketing?" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
Sign in with your preferred account, below.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- 10 Content Marketing Trends to Watch in 2022 [Infographic]
- Convert Prospects With the Power of Case Studies
- How to Add Audio Content to Your Marketing Strategy
- Five Ways to Improve Content Quality Signals on Landing Pages
- Eight Lessons Learned From Giving 100+ Webinars
- The World Is Looking for Thought Leaders. Could You Be One of Them?