The most significant online viral campaign of the decade was "Mentos and Diet Coke experiments" by Eepybird.com, according to a survey conducted by GoViral.
Dove's "Evolution" campaign came in second, followed by "Will it blend" by Blendtec.
"'Mentos experiments with Diet Coke' was incredibly popular," said GoViral Chairman Jimmy Maymann. "But what made it a game changer was that initially Mentos and Diet Coke didn't know about it. It proved conclusively that in the Internet age, when it's so easy for people to create content and broadcast it, brands no longer have full control over their marketing."
"It also proved that brands who embrace what's happening around them in social media can go on to achieve incredible results."
Below, the top 10 campaigns of the decade:
- 2006: Eepybird.com––Mentos and Diet Coke experiments
- 2006: Dove––Evolution
- 2006: Blendtec––Will it blend
- 2007: Diesel––Heidies 15mb of fame
- 2004: Burger King––Subservient Chicken
- 2008: Barack Obama––Online campaign
- 2000: John West––Bear
- 2009: Tourism Queensland––Best Job in the World
- 2008: Burger King––Whopper sacrifice
- 2008: Cadbury––Gorilla
Looking for real, hard data that can help you match social media tools and tactics to your marketing goals? The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs, gives you the inside scoop on how 5,140 marketing pros are using social media to create winning campaigns, measure ROI, and reach audiences in new and exciting ways.
About the survey: Results were compiled by GoViral, a European distributor of online branded content, and include the opinions of 1,099 global online participants who ranked the top campaigns from a shortlist of 40 campaigns previously nominated by a panel of digital and online advertising experts.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Word-of-Mouth:
- Why 'Influence Marketing' Is Bigger Than Influencers: Jason Falls on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- A B2B Case Study in Influencer Marketing: Adobe's Rani Mani on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Join the Marketing Rebellion or Get Left Behind: Author Mark Schaefer on Marketing Smarts
- Word-of-Mouth: Why Chatter Matters for Your Brand [Infographic]
- Give Them Something to Talk About: 'Talk Triggers' Authors Jay Baer and Daniel Lemin on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The Five Top Trends That Will Shape Influencer Marketing in 2018