Three-quarters of Americans (74%) say when a celebrity endorser gets involved in a scandal, how they feel about the brands that the celebrity endorses is not affected, according to a new Adweek Media/Harris Poll.
Just over one in five surveyed consumers (22%), however, say they feel worse about the endorsed brands, though 5% say they feel better about them.
Age is a factor in consumers' attitudes toward endorsed brands after a scandal:
- 81% of Americans age 55+ say a scandal has no impact on how they feel about the brand, as do 77% of those age 35-44.
- 28% of those age 45-54 say they feel worse about the brand.
- 11% of consumers age 18-34 say they feel better about the brand after a celebrity gets involved in a scandal.
Overall, gender plays less of a role than age in attitude toward endorsed brands after a celebrity scandal.
Looking for great digital marketing data? MarketingProfs reviewed hundreds of research sources to create our most recent Digital Marketing Factbook (May 2010), a 296-page compilation of data and 254 charts, covering email marketing, social media, search engine marketing, e-commerce, and mobile marketing. Also check out The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs.
Consumers in the Midwest are most likely to have a negative attitude toward brands after a celebrity scandal: 26% of Midwesterners say they would feel worse about a brand after a scandal, whereas just 19% of Easterners say so.
About the data: Findings are from the Adweek Media/Harris Poll., for which Harris Interactive surveyed 2,140 US adults from April 23 to 27, 2010.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Brand Management:
- Why You Need a Brand Style Guide (Even If you Think You Don't)
- Eight Steps to Ensure Brand Safety With Influencer Marketing
- Three Online Community Management Challenges B2B Brands Face
- Nine Rebranding Myths and Misconceptions Debunked
- How the Barbie Movie's Marketing Genius Can Inspire Your Podcast—and Your Own Marketing
- The What, Why, and How of Community- and Brand-Building for B2B Marketing | Marketing Smarts Live Show