Nearly one-half of surveyed ad and marketing executives say companies don't take enough risk:
- 35% of ad execs say their agencies don't take enough risk with creative projects, and another 7% say such agencies "play it much too safe."
- 25% of marketing exes say their firms don't take enough risk, and another 18% say such firms "play it much too safe."
Another one-half say risk levels are right on: 46% of ad execs and 45% of marketing execs say their companies take on an appropriate level of risk with creative projects. Meanwhile, fewer than one in twenty ad and marketing execs say "too many risks are taken."
Looking for great digital marketing data? MarketingProfs reviewed hundreds of research sources to create our most recent Digital Marketing Factbook (May 2010), a 296-page compilation of data and 254 charts, covering email marketing, social media, search engine marketing, e-commerce, and mobile marketing. Also check out The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs.
By contrast, in the 2008 survey—conducted at the height of the financial crisis—companies appeared to be more risk-averse. Asked the same question, nearly two-thirds of marketing execs reported their firms were not taking enough risk (44%) or playing it much too safe (21%).
More ad agencies, however, appeared to stay the course during the crisis period, with less than one-half of ad execs reporting their agencies were not taking enough risk (38%) or playing it much too safe (7%).
About the data: Findings from the 2011 survey of 500 US ad and marketing executive, conducted in February 2011. Findings from the 2008 survey are based on interviews among 250 ad and marketing execs, conducted in August 2008.
Continue reading "Marketers Playing It Too Safe (Creatively)" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Career Management:
- Four Hiring Trends Marketing Managers Need to Know [Infographic]
- 2022 Salary Guide: Pay Forecasts for Marketing, Content, and PR Positions
- Working From Bed: The State of Home Workspaces in 2021
- The 5 Most Important Skills for the Future of Marketing
- How Emotional Intelligence Impacts Career Success [Infographic]