Unlike Twitter and Facebook, where brands drive engagement with their content through official accounts and pages, 70% of brand engagement on Pinterest is generated by the community itself, according to a new report by Digitas and Curalate.
The study, which analyzed nearly 10 million pins specific to the fashion/retail, automotive and electronics industries, also found that the best day/time to pin for optimum community engagement varied by topic/industry:
- Fashion/Retail - 3 PM ET on Fridays
- Automotive - 12 PM ET on Fridays
- Electronics - 10 PM ET on Mondays
Below, more key findings from the report, Go Forth and Pin.
- 82% of all fashion and retail-related images are being pinned by the community, with brands pinning only 18% of content.
- Nevertheless, top brands in the fashion/retail space average 46 repins on every pin, compared with six repins, on average, for user-generated fashion pins.
- In the fashion category, women's fashion—particularly dresses—is the topic most talked about.
- 75% of the conversation and engagement around autos on Pinterest is being driven by the community, with only 25% of content originating from brands.
- Top automotive brands average three repins on every pin, whereas the community averages 10 repins per pin.
- The disparity between community and brand images in the electronics industry is much less: The community generates 53% of pins vs. brands' 47%.
- Electronics brands receive an average of five repins for every item they pin, whereas user-generated pins receive an average of 14 repins.
About the research: Curalate collected and analyzed nearly 10 million pins, repins, comments, likes, and keywords from over 120 brands across the auto, electronics, and fashion/retail industries. The analysis took place between March 15 to April 15, 2013. Top images for a given industry were determined by the sum of pins and repins for each photo.
Enter your email address to keep reading ...
Social Media Articles
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- How B2B Marketers Can Use an Organic Social Media Strategy for Success in 2023: Dorien Morin-van Dam on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Turn Your Social Media Marketing Into a Profit Center [Infographic]
- Should Brands 'Break Up' With Twitter?
- Is B2B TikTok Right for Your Business? Three Questions to Ask
- Google vs. Social Media Algorithms: What's the Difference? [Infographic]
- Marketers' Top Worries About Twitter