Unlike Twitter and Facebook, where brands drive engagement with their content through official accounts and pages, 70% of brand engagement on Pinterest is generated by the community itself, according to a new report by Digitas and Curalate.
The study, which analyzed nearly 10 million pins specific to the fashion/retail, automotive and electronics industries, also found that the best day/time to pin for optimum community engagement varied by topic/industry:
- Fashion/Retail - 3 PM ET on Fridays
- Automotive - 12 PM ET on Fridays
- Electronics - 10 PM ET on Mondays
Below, more key findings from the report, Go Forth and Pin.
- 82% of all fashion and retail-related images are being pinned by the community, with brands pinning only 18% of content.
- Nevertheless, top brands in the fashion/retail space average 46 repins on every pin, compared with six repins, on average, for user-generated fashion pins.
- In the fashion category, women's fashion—particularly dresses—is the topic most talked about.
- 75% of the conversation and engagement around autos on Pinterest is being driven by the community, with only 25% of content originating from brands.
- Top automotive brands average three repins on every pin, whereas the community averages 10 repins per pin.
- The disparity between community and brand images in the electronics industry is much less: The community generates 53% of pins vs. brands' 47%.
- Electronics brands receive an average of five repins for every item they pin, whereas user-generated pins receive an average of 14 repins.
About the research: Curalate collected and analyzed nearly 10 million pins, repins, comments, likes, and keywords from over 120 brands across the auto, electronics, and fashion/retail industries. The analysis took place between March 15 to April 15, 2013. Top images for a given industry were determined by the sum of pins and repins for each photo.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- How to Find a Perfect Audience on Social Media [Infographic]
- Creating B2B Social Media Content That Fuels Human Connections: Brooke Sellas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Create a Social Media Style Guide in Five Steps
- The Magical Combination of B2B Marketing and Instagram: Jenn Herman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Where Influencers Wield the Most Influence [Infographic]
- Four B2B Event Marketing Takeaways From TikTok