Most US adults—164 million (69%)—read newspaper media content in print or online in a typical week, or access it on mobile devices in a typical month, according to a recent report from Scarborough Research and The Newspaper Association of America.
Moreover, 59% of Americans age 18-24, the youngest group of adults surveyed, access newspaper content across all platforms during the same time period, the study found.
Below, additional findings from the NAA SenseMaker Report:
Mobile Audience Growth
- Overall, the total newspaper media audience in a typical week (excluding mobile) dipped 2% in 2012 from 2011.
- However, the mobile newspaper audience grew 58% in an average month in 2012 compared with the average month in 2011.
- The audience of readers who are newspaper mobile-exclusive—that is, those who access newspaper content on mobile devices only—grew 83% in 2012 compared with a year ago.
- Owners of Apple devices are particularly likely to be news consumers. From 2011 to 2012, the use of iPads to access newspaper content increased 151% and the use of iPhones grew 85%.
Younger Readers Go Digital
- The median age of print newspaper readers is 54. That is almost identical to the median age of those who watch local TV evening news (53) or watch national/network news (53).
- The median age of the online newspaper media audience is 43. That is also the median age of adults using the Internet for any purpose.
- The median age of those who use a mobile device to access newspaper content in a typical month is 37; those who are "newspaper mobile exclusive," are even younger with a median age of 33.
About the research: The report was based on a survey of 206,000 US adults conducted on a rolling basis from August 2011 through September 2012.
Continue reading "7 in 10 Adults Access Content From Newspaper Media Each Week" ... Read the full article
Subscribe today...it's free!
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- Account-Based Podcasting: The New ABM
- How to Overcome B2B Content Marketing Challenges During the Pandemic
- Audio Marketing: From Radio to Clubhouse [Infographic]
- 20 Content Stats Modern Marketers Should Know [Infographic]
- How to Create Better Content by Conducting Better Interviews: Jay Acunzo of '3 Clips' on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]