Nearly three-quarters (72%) of online US adults were using social networking sites as of May 2013, up from 67% in late 2012, according to a recent report from the Pew Research Center's Internet and American Life Project.
When Pew first started asking about social networking sites in February 2005, just 8% of online adults said they used social networks.
Social networking site use is prevalent for Internet users from a wide range of demographic groups. Not surprisingly, younger adults are heavily represented, but social networking continues to grow in popularity for older adults as well.
Below, additional key findings from the Pew report, which was authored by Joanna Brenner and Aaron Smith.
Not Just for Kids
- Six out of ten Internet users age 50-64 are social networking site users.
- Adoption rates for those 65 and older have tripled in the last four years (from 13% in the spring of 2009 to 43% in 2013).
Who Uses Twitter
- The percentage of Internet users who are on Twitter has more than doubled since November 2010; it currently stands at 18%.
- A broad range of demographic groups uses the service, with especially high adoption rates among Hispanics, college graduates, and those with incomes of $75,000+.
Twitter Use by Age Group
Internet users age 18-29 are the most likely to use Twitter.
About the research: The report was based on data from telephone interviews of 2,252 adults, age 18 and older, conducted from April 17 to May 19, 2013.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- The Social Networks Used Most by B2B Marketers
- You CAN Use Social Media for B2B (Even in a Pandemic): 'Ultimate Guide to Social Media' Authors Talk With Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How Marketers Can Succeed With Instagram Stories [Infographic]
- Your B2B Influencer Strategy: How to Get it Right
- Retargeting on LinkedIn: What B2B Marketers Need to Know [Infographic]