However, smaller companies share more links and use more hashtags in their tweets than their bigger brethren.
The study examined the Twitter activity in 4Q13 of the Interbrand 2013 Top 100 Brands and the Forbes 100 Best Small Companies in America—which includes organizations with annual revenues of $5 million to $1 billion.
Not surprisingly, Simply Measured's analysis found the Interbrand 100 have more followers and retweets than the smaller companies. However, the larger brands are also posting more often to Twitter: They tweeted 12 times a day on average in 4Q13, compared with three times daily for the smaller companies.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
- Of the Interbrand Top 100 Brands, 98% tweeted at least once daily during 4Q13, and 92% tweeted more than once a day.
- In contrast, 56% of the 100 Best Small Companies didn't tweet on a daily basis.
- For the Interbrand 100 companies, including image links in tweets paid off well in terms of engagement.
- Tweets that included pic.twitter.com links averaged 210 engagements (replies, mentions, retweets, and favorites) in 4Q13. The next highest-performing types were Tumblr and Pinterest links, followed by Vine links.
Top 10 Brands
- The top 10 brands (by engagement) from the Interbrand 100 companies accounted for 60% of the list's engagement in 4Q13, even though they accounted for only 38% of the total audience.
- Those 10 brands averaged 1,562 tweets per month, more than 4x as many as the entire-list average of 380 tweets.
About the research: The report was based on data from the 4Q13 Twitter account activity of the Interbrand 2013 Top 100 Brands and the Forbes 100 Best Small Companies in America.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- Power Up Your B2B Marketing Efforts With Influencer Marketing and Private Communities | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Which Types of Social Media Posts Get the Most Interactions?
- 10 Simple Ways to Get More B2B Leads From Instagram
- How Business Owners Feel About Threads [Infographic]
- How Digital Creators Should Navigate the Metaverse | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How to Manage Online Comments—And Why You Need a Comment Strategy