The survey of mobile internet users found 7 million people in North America now use the app, still a relatively small number compared with its active user base in Asia (101 million), Europe (45 million), Latin America (38 million), and the Middle East/Africa (15 million).
In terms of active use—those who say they have used the app in the last month, rather than just having it installed on their phone—WhatsApp can now boast more than 200 million users globally. That's an impressive 175% rise in 2013.
During the same period, GlobalWebIndex found active usage of Facebook fell 15% in North America.
- In a related report, Global Web Index found 25% of 16-19-years-olds worldwide with mobile internet access say they actively use WhatsApp each month.
- The analysis also found that the app had a 160% increase in use by teens with mobile internet access in 2013.
- However, teen usage varies significantly by region. In the Middle East and Africa, some 69% of the teen mobile audience is using WhatsApp, compared with just 4% in North America.
About the research: The reports were based on data from an online global survey of mobile internet users.
Continue reading "WhatsApp by the Numbers: Where It's Popular; Teen Usage Stats" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Mobile:
- How SMS Automation Bridges the Gap Between Your Sales Team and Customers and Supports Digital Transformation
- Audiences' Attitudes Toward Mobile Ads and Apps [Infographic]
- Why B2B Apps Need App Store Optimization Now More Than Ever
- The Most Effective Marketing Tactics for Driving App Installs
- Text Marketing: 2020's Digital Disruptor