On average, 38% of retail marketing budgets are devoted to digital channels, according to a recent report from Conversant.
Moreover, 20% of retail marketers report that digital now accounts for 50-75% of their total spend, and 19% say that it constitutes 75-100% of their marketing budget.
The findings come from a survey conducted in December 2013 of 82 senior-level marketers who work for retailers (brick-and-mortar businesses and e-tailers).
Below, additional key findings from the report.
Direct Response vs. Branding
- Respondents say they are now commonly using digital channels for both direct response and brand building.
- 58% disagree that digital is better for driving short-term sales than long-term brand building.
- 86% of senior retail marketers strongly agree or somewhat agree that personalized messages can be more effective than mass messages.
- 59% say omnichannel behaviors—in which consumers access digital experiences across multiple devices—complicate personalization.
- 26% strongly agree that "the future of marketing is in synchronized personalized communications tailored to every individual."
- 65% of respondents say they work with more than five marketing vendors (31% work with 11 or more).
- 48% report that finding the right digital vendor is somewhat or extremely difficult.
- 56% say "It's difficult to integrate the large number of digital vendors we work with."
- 74% of respondents say retargeting is an important tactic for driving close-in/impulse buyers to make a purchase.
- 28% say retargeting can hurt brands due to consumer privacy concerns.
- 44% say retargeting gets over-credited for sales because the lower funnel audience tends to be more likely to respond.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted in December 2013 of 82 senior-level marketers who work for retailers.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- Five Tips for Enhancing the B2B Customer Experience to Generate More Sales
- It's Time for Chief Market Officers to Play Offense
- The Three Key Types of Influencer Marketing Campaigns [Infographic]
- A New Way of Working Remotely: Email and IM Aren't Enough
- Your Messaging Framework: What It Is, Why You Need One, and How to Build It