Moreover, the number of active brands—those that posted at least once in 3Q14—almost doubled since 3Q12, with 73% of brands posting at least one photo or video per week to Instagram in 3Q14.
Monthly engagement (likes and comments) also grew rapidly in the past 12 months—up almost 12x since 3Q12.
- Posts by the brands examined garnered 216 comments on average in 3Q14.
- The majority of Instagram comments on brand posts happen quickly (75% within the first 48 hours, on average), though for high-performing posts comment volume peaks later and the posts have a much longer shelf-life.
- The average caption in 3Q14 was 138 characters long, including hashtags.
- Posts that included another user handle in the caption had 56% more engagement.
- There is no statistically significant correlation between caption length and engagement, the analysis found.
- 88% of brand posts in 3Q14 included at least one hashtag.
- 91% of posts included seven or fewer hashtags.
- Posts with at least one hashtag averaged 12.6% more engagement.
About the research: The report was based on 3Q14 data from the Instagram accounts of the Interbrand 100.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- Instagram in an Instant: Understanding the Social Network [Infographic]
- How to Make the Most of Influencer Marketing During COVID-19
- The Anatomy of a Popular YouTube Thumbnail Image
- How to Find and Hire Social Media Influencers [Infographic]
- Five Ways to Incorporate LinkedIn Stories Into Your Marketing [Infographic]