Moreover, the number of active brands—those that posted at least once in 3Q14—almost doubled since 3Q12, with 73% of brands posting at least one photo or video per week to Instagram in 3Q14.
Monthly engagement (likes and comments) also grew rapidly in the past 12 months—up almost 12x since 3Q12.
- Posts by the brands examined garnered 216 comments on average in 3Q14.
- The majority of Instagram comments on brand posts happen quickly (75% within the first 48 hours, on average), though for high-performing posts comment volume peaks later and the posts have a much longer shelf-life.
- The average caption in 3Q14 was 138 characters long, including hashtags.
- Posts that included another user handle in the caption had 56% more engagement.
- There is no statistically significant correlation between caption length and engagement, the analysis found.
- 88% of brand posts in 3Q14 included at least one hashtag.
- 91% of posts included seven or fewer hashtags.
- Posts with at least one hashtag averaged 12.6% more engagement.
About the research: The report was based on 3Q14 data from the Instagram accounts of the Interbrand 100.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- Power Up Your B2B Marketing Efforts With Influencer Marketing and Private Communities | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Which Types of Social Media Posts Get the Most Interactions?
- 10 Simple Ways to Get More B2B Leads From Instagram
- How Business Owners Feel About Threads [Infographic]
- How Digital Creators Should Navigate the Metaverse | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How to Manage Online Comments—And Why You Need a Comment Strategy