Moreover, the number of active brands—those that posted at least once in 3Q14—almost doubled since 3Q12, with 73% of brands posting at least one photo or video per week to Instagram in 3Q14.
Monthly engagement (likes and comments) also grew rapidly in the past 12 months—up almost 12x since 3Q12.
- Posts by the brands examined garnered 216 comments on average in 3Q14.
- The majority of Instagram comments on brand posts happen quickly (75% within the first 48 hours, on average), though for high-performing posts comment volume peaks later and the posts have a much longer shelf-life.
- The average caption in 3Q14 was 138 characters long, including hashtags.
- Posts that included another user handle in the caption had 56% more engagement.
- There is no statistically significant correlation between caption length and engagement, the analysis found.
- 88% of brand posts in 3Q14 included at least one hashtag.
- 91% of posts included seven or fewer hashtags.
- Posts with at least one hashtag averaged 12.6% more engagement.
About the research: The report was based on 3Q14 data from the Instagram accounts of the Interbrand 100.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- How to Find a Perfect Audience on Social Media [Infographic]
- Creating B2B Social Media Content That Fuels Human Connections: Brooke Sellas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Create a Social Media Style Guide in Five Steps
- The Magical Combination of B2B Marketing and Instagram: Jenn Herman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Where Influencers Wield the Most Influence [Infographic]
- Four B2B Event Marketing Takeaways From TikTok