Moreover, nearly three-quarters (73%) of consumers say using personal information without permission violates their privacy—with 52% saying they feel strongly about this issue.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from an online survey of 2,949 adult consumers in seven countries: The United States (36% of respondents), the United Kingdom (11%), Canada (11%), Portugal (11%), Australia (11%), New Zealand (10%) and Spain (9%).
Willingness to Share
Consumers' willingness to share personal data varies widely by industry. For example, 73% of respondents say they are likely to share personal information with banks/credit unions, but only 33% say they are likely to share the same information with entertainment providers.
- 94% of respondents are willing to share their name and email address with businesses.
- To get more personalized and relevant offers, about three-quarters of customers are willing to provide their birthday month and year.
- Not surprisingly, consumers are least willing to share credit card/financial data.
Factors Influencing Sharing
- Trust in data security is by far the biggest factor influencing consumers' willingness to share personal information (63% cite as an important factor).
- 49% of respondents say they are willing to share information if they get something in return.
About the research: The report was based on data from an online survey of 2,949 adult consumers in seven countries: The United States (36% of respondents), the United Kingdom (11%), Canada (11%), Portugal (11%), Australia (11%), New Zealand (10%) and Spain (9%).
Continue reading "How Consumers Feel About Sharing Data With Businesses" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- How to Push Customers Down the Brand Loyalty Funnel
- Why People Really Do What They Do: 'Primal Brain' Author Tim Ash on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Do Customers Trust You? Six Tips for Earning Brand Trust in 2021
- This Is Your Brain on Marketing: Nancy Harhut on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How IT Buyers' Researching Behaviors Changed in 2020