Moreover, nearly three-quarters (73%) of consumers say using personal information without permission violates their privacy—with 52% saying they feel strongly about this issue.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from an online survey of 2,949 adult consumers in seven countries: The United States (36% of respondents), the United Kingdom (11%), Canada (11%), Portugal (11%), Australia (11%), New Zealand (10%) and Spain (9%).
Willingness to Share
Consumers' willingness to share personal data varies widely by industry. For example, 73% of respondents say they are likely to share personal information with banks/credit unions, but only 33% say they are likely to share the same information with entertainment providers.
- 94% of respondents are willing to share their name and email address with businesses.
- To get more personalized and relevant offers, about three-quarters of customers are willing to provide their birthday month and year.
- Not surprisingly, consumers are least willing to share credit card/financial data.
Factors Influencing Sharing
- Trust in data security is by far the biggest factor influencing consumers' willingness to share personal information (63% cite as an important factor).
- 49% of respondents say they are willing to share information if they get something in return.
About the research: The report was based on data from an online survey of 2,949 adult consumers in seven countries: The United States (36% of respondents), the United Kingdom (11%), Canada (11%), Portugal (11%), Australia (11%), New Zealand (10%) and Spain (9%).
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- Smoking Brisket and the Customer Experience: Art and Science With Christian Selchau-Hansen on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Conversational Marketing: What Customers Want
- How the B2B Purchase Process Has Changed in 2020
- Marketing From A to [Gen]Z: 'Zconomy' Author Jason Dorsey on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Listen While You Work: The Media Habits of Remote Employees