Moreover, 84% of holiday shoppers say free shipping influences their online holiday purchase decisions to some degree.
The report was based on data from a survey of 1,000 US holiday shoppers who were asked about what they want to see from retailers during the season and what makes them want to buy. A separate survey was sent to 100 major US retailers asking how they plan to entice shoppers this holiday season.
Despite the overwhelming popularity of free shipping, just 18% of the online-only merchants polled say they plan to offer it on all purchases this holiday season; 41% plan to offer free shipping on certain order values/at certain times, and 29% plan to do so as limited-time promotions.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
Types of Promotions
- 71% of consumers say percent-discount promotions make them want to buy, and 72% of retailers say they plan to use these types of promotions this holiday season.
- 52% of consumers say they like "buy one, get one free" promotions, but only 38% of retailers say plan to use them this holiday season.
- 54% of Millennial shoppers say flash sales are more likely to make them buy.
- Interest in limited-time offers declines with age; only 39% of shoppers age 30-39 and 16% of shoppers age 50-64 say they want to see these sorts of sales.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 1,000 U.S. holiday shoppers and 100 major retailers.
Continue reading "The Types of Holiday Promotions Consumers Like Most" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- How to Push Customers Down the Brand Loyalty Funnel
- Why People Really Do What They Do: 'Primal Brain' Author Tim Ash on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Do Customers Trust You? Six Tips for Earning Brand Trust in 2021
- This Is Your Brain on Marketing: Nancy Harhut on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How IT Buyers' Researching Behaviors Changed in 2020