Business that rank among the top three in Google's local search results tend to have more reviews and a slightly higher average star rating than businesses that rank in the fourth through tenth positions, according to recent research from BrightLocal.
The report was based on analysis of 93,845 local businesses across 26 industries. The researchers developed a list of 10,334 common local keywords and identified the 10 highest-ranking businesses in Google's localized search for each term. They then examined the number of reviews and the average star rating of the businesses ranking in the various positions.
Local businesses that appear in the top 10 results have 39 Google reviews, on average, the analysis found.
However, the average number of reviews varies widely by industry: hotels have 309 reviews, on average, whereas accountants have just three.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Five Google Ads Tips to Help You Become a Better PPC Marketer
- How to Position Your B2B Brand for Search: Garrett Mehrguth on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- What Your Customers' Searches Can Tell You. Are You Paying Attention?
- Top 4 Impactful SEO Trends Today
- Younger and Wordier: How Gen Z's Search Behavior Is Different