The report was based on data from a survey conducted in February and March 2020 among 400 marketing, sales, and operations professionals, most of whom work for B2B firms.
Half of respondents cite a lack of accurate/complete data on target accounts and prospects as a major challenge to aligning Marketing and Sales teams.
Some 47% of respondents cite communication as a major barrier to alignment, and 44% cite broken/flawed processes.
Some 59% of salespeople say marketers are not held accountable for the pipeline, and just over half (51%) of all respondents say the marketing and sales teams at their firm meet to discuss the pipeline only quarterly or less frequently.
Some 74% of respondents say they have a good or excellent relationship with their counterparts in Marketing or Sales.
Marketers say the top thing they want from Sales is better lead follow-up. Salespeople say the top thing they want from Marketing is better-quality leads.
Some 90% of marketers say they believe sales is a difficult job, and 84% of salespeople say they respect the marketing department.
However, 32% of marketers say salespeople don't listen, and 23% of salespeople think they could do a better marketing job than their firm's marketing team.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted in February and March 2020 among 400 marketing, sales, and operations professionals, most of whom work for B2B firms.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- What Workers Want From Their Employers Right Now
- Advancing Racial Justice, One Decision at a Time: Lee Deas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Your B2B Marketing Career: The Parable of Melanie the Mindful Marketer
- To Advance Racial Justice, Have Those Uncomfortable Conversations: Lori Hall on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- A Six-Step Checklist for Planning Your Marketing Campaign