For starters, the infographic explains that the update "mostly targets sites with ad-focused content that prioritize revenue above helping the users." So, sites that use multiple affiliate links, for example, likely registered a downturn in traffic after the update went into effect.
It also means that sites that offer valuable content with unobtrusive ads may have had an increase in site traffic, the infographic says.
For more details on Fred and who was affected, check out the full infographic. Tap or click to see a larger version.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Search Engine Marketing:
- Visual Search for B2B Marketing Success: Olga Andrienko on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Five Ways to Optimize Your Videos for Search [Infographic]
- Five B2B Brands That Prove Voice Search Is More Than Hype
- Google's 'Helpful Content Update': Five SEO Mistakes to Avoid
- A Complete Guide to Anchor Text Optimization in Four Steps
- An 11-Step Plan for Improving Your SEO Strategy [Infographic]