Questions abound about social media posts: How long should my post be? How many hashtags should I include? Is an image always necessary?
The team at the marketing calendar software company compiled that information and sorted it to answer these four questions for six social media platforms:
- Which type of message (text, text-plus-link, or image) is most effective?
- How many characters per post garner the most engagement?
- How many hashtags are most effective?
- Are emojis useful, and, if so, how many should be included?
For example, Facebook posts that are text with a link are the most effective type of Facebook post, with images coming in second, and simple text posts coming in third, according to the data in the infographic. That's not to say text-only posts are ineffective, just that the other types are more effective, on average.
As for character count, posts with 111 characters perform the best on Facebook, on average, followed by posts with 119 characters, and posts with 40 characters. Again, a 40-word post is not ineffective; that length came in third in the analysis, so 40-character posts actually perform quite well, on average.
(It will be interesting to see whether the effectiveness of Twitter word counts changes now that the platform allows tweets longer than 140 characters.)
The use of no hashtags and one emoji proved most effective on Facebook, whereas 11 hashtags and three emojis performed best on Instagram.
To see the results for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Google+, check out the infographic:
Continue reading "How to Write the Most Effective Social Media Posts [Infographic]" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- How Including Links in LinkedIn Posts Affects Engagement
- The Benefits of LinkedIn for B2B Marketers [Infographic]
- Five Useful LinkedIn Hashtags for Marketers [Infographic]
- How to Succeed With Video on 6 Popular Social Networks [Infographic]
- How to Make Sure Your Social Media Strategy Succeeds: Take a Cross-Discipline Approach