It's time to let go of your egos, marketers, because this is not about you.
That's a common thing to say, for sure, but it's particularly important to keep in mind when getting into B2B influencer marketing and communities.
In the latest episode of the Marketing Smarts Live Show, Demandbase's Justin Levy emphasizes the importance of partnerships over transactions—i.e., mutually beneficial activities.
"Too many people will look at simply the reach of an influencer—the total number of followers, or the engagement they have, or the fact that they're a keynote speaker, whatever...and all they want to do is pay them," Justin says.
"They don't consider what those areas of expertise are for that person, the brands that they align themselves with and why. Therefore, it's not authentic, for the influencer or for the brand."
In the case of communities, he explains, the most important thing you can do is to ask people in the community what they want. Don't try to decide for them. Foster trust and wellbeing by engaging with them, even if it's just a random question that will take people away from their mundane jobs.
Check out the video for some great insights:
Episode Details, Guest Information, and Referenced Links
Episode No. 46
- Live date: August 7, 2023
- Episode link: youtube.com/live/Me-Cby5ykOI
- Original podcast episode and full transcript: Power Up Your B2B Marketing Efforts With Influencer Marketing and Private Communities: Justin Levy on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
Guest's social media profiles:
MarketingProfs resources referenced in the show:
"In B2B News" article referenced in the show:
"From the #mpb2b Community" links referenced in the show:
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Experience:
- The Attention Economy: How Time Affects Your B2B Marketing Efforts | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- World-Class Case Studies; Building Trust on the Internet | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Closing the Loop: How to Deliver Personalized CX at Scale, Even Across Channels
- B2B Marketers, the Customer Journey, and Sales | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How B2B Marketers Can Leverage Voice of Customer for Business Growth | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How to Deliver (And Improve) the Connected Customer Experience