Social media has become an important marketing tool for small businesses, particularly younger firms: 32% of small-to-midsize businesses (SMBs) in operation for 0-6 years use Twitter, compared with just 7% of those in business for 11+ years, according to a report from BIA/Kelsey. Meanwhile, Twitter use among SMBs doubled, from 9% in 2009 to 19% in 2010.
The longer a SMB has been in business, the less likely it is to use Twitter, whereas older SMBs (11+ years in business) are more likely to use printed Yellow Pages (37%) than those in business 0-3 years (17%) or 4-6 years (22%).
Below, other findings from BIA/Kelsey's Local Commerce Monitor study, conducted by ConStat.
Facebook More-Widely Used than Email
Nearly one-half (48%) of surveyed SMBs use Facebook to promote their businesses—even more than the 43% of SMBs that report using e-mail marketing.
Over one in five (22%) SMBs use blogging to promote their businesses.
Looking for real, hard data that can help you match social media tools and tactics to your marketing goals? The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs, gives you the inside scoop on how 5,140 marketing pros are using social media to create winning campaigns, measure ROI, and reach audiences in new and exciting ways.
Planned Increases of Web 2.0 Technologies
SMBs plan to increase their use of Web 2.0-based tools in the next 12 months:
- 46% plan to aggressively use links and ads on social sites and blogs in the next year, up from the 35% that did so in the previous 12 months.
- 39% plan to use customer ratings and reviews,up from 29%.
- 32% plan to aggressively use video on their own websites, up from 16%.
About the data: BIA/Kelsey's Local Commerce Monitor Wave 14 was conducted in November 2010 via online survey of 307 small- to mid-sized businesses.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- The Social Networks Used Most by B2B Marketers
- You CAN Use Social Media for B2B (Even in a Pandemic): 'Ultimate Guide to Social Media' Authors Talk With Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How Marketers Can Succeed With Instagram Stories [Infographic]
- Your B2B Influencer Strategy: How to Get it Right
- Retargeting on LinkedIn: What B2B Marketers Need to Know [Infographic]