Email volume increased 11.6% in the first quarter of 2013 compared with the first quarter of 2012, and unique open rates increased 9.7%, according to a recent benchmark report by Experian Marketing Services.
The report, based on analysis of Experian Marketing Services clients’ email programs over the past two years, also found that unique click rates matched those of 1Q12 and revenue per email held steady year over year at $0.12.
Below, additional key findings from the Experian Marketing Services Q1 2013 Email Benchmark Study.
1Q13 vs. 4Q12
- Transaction rates and revenue per email fell as expected in the first quarter of 2013 compared with the fourth quarter 2012 holiday season.
- Total and unique click rates rose 8% in 1Q13 compared with 4Q12.
Year-Over-Year Volume Variance by Industry
- Multichannel retailers had the highest gain in email volume, as 70% of brands increased mailings in 1Q13 compared with 1Q12.
- Though cruise lines and hotels had increases in volume, the results for the travel industry overall were actually mixed; only 50% of all brands in the category had year-over-year volume increases.
Quarter-to-Quarter Volume Variance by Industry
- There was an across-the-board email volume drop in 1Q13 compared with 4Q12, as expected after the high volumes of the holiday season.
About the research: The report was based on an analysis of data from Experian Marketing Services clients’ email programs over the past two years.
Continue reading "Email Volume and Open Rates Up: Benchmark Report" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
Sign in with your preferred account, below.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- How Americans Feel About Brand Email Newsletters
- How Email Newsletters Can Fix Marketers' Content and Trust Problems: Three Sets of Best-Practices
- Budgeting for 2022: Marketers' Email Spend Plans
- Five Great Sales Follow-Up Email Subject Lines [Infographic]
- Unlock the Full Potential of Your Email Marketing Efforts With VMCs and BIMI
- How Marketers Are Approaching Email Dark Mode [Infographic]