Mobile marketing budgets increased in the last 12 months for 31% of survey respondents, the study found. Still, less than 10% total marketing budgets are allocated to mobile for 68% of the marketers surveyed.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on a survey of more than 650 B2B and B2C marketers.
- Optimization of email messages for mobile devices is now generally standard, with 76% of marketers reporting that they optimize for mobile viewing.
- However, only 40% are connecting those email campaigns with landing pages optimized for mobile, and just 39% measure how many of their email opens occur on a mobile device.
- Also, only 15% of marketers run a mobile-specific website.
Mobile Display Advertising
- 40% of marketers have no plans for mobile display advertising in 2013.
- 19% currently run mobile display ads, and 16% have plans to do so in the next year.
- 48% of respondents either already have one or more mobile apps, or plan launch at least one in 2013.
- For those with plans to create apps this year, iPhone (92%) and Android devices (80%) are the most popular platforms.
- 51% of survey respondents sell products or services directly over the Internet, but only 26% are currently involved in mobile commerce.
- A transactional mobile site is in the plans for 23% of respondents in 2013.
- 28% of respondents said they know how often their customers are using mobile, and on what types of devices, and can segment based on that activity.
- 20% have no direct mobile knowledge of their audience, and base their mobile marketing decisions on third-party research.
About the research: The report was based on a survey of 666 marketers conducted by email from April 10 to May 13, 2013. Respondents identified themselves as B2B marketers (48.9%), B2C marketers (18.6%), or as part of a company that targets both (32.5%).
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.