Almost half (45%) of tweets from digital marketers that include links to outside content lead to mainstream media websites.
The next most popular sources of content are industry media (35%), social media (17%), and e-commerce sites (2%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on an analysis of the tweets of 515 North American digital marketers. The study pairs with an earlier report on the Twitter habits of senior marketers.
Mainstream Media Sources
- Most mainstream media content shared by digital marketers on Twitter is focused on news, business, and strategy—typically covering broad issues and trends.
- Forbes is the most popular mainstream media content source, followed by The Huffington Post, The New York Times, and BuzzFeed.
Industry Media Sources
- Mashable is the most popular industry media content source.
- TechCrunch, Business Insider, and Advertising Age are No. 2-4.
Top People Retweeted
- Barack Obama (@barakobama) is the person most retweeted by digital marketers.
- Jeremiah Owyang (@jowyang) and Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) are No. 2 and 3.
Top Brands Retweeted
- Mashable (@mashable) is the most retweeted brand by digital marketers.
- Fast Company (@FastCompany) and TechCrunch (@techcrunch) are No. 2 and 3.
About the research: The report was based on an analysis of 143,856 tweets and 69,657 shared links from 515 North American digital marketers published between April 1, 2013 and June 30, 2013. Digital marketers were identified by using criteria such as job title and type of company. All are active on Twitter; the median number of their followers is 891.
Continue reading "Digital Marketers on Twitter: What They Share, Whom They Retweet" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- How Including Links in LinkedIn Posts Affects Engagement
- The Benefits of LinkedIn for B2B Marketers [Infographic]
- Five Useful LinkedIn Hashtags for Marketers [Infographic]
- How to Succeed With Video on 6 Popular Social Networks [Infographic]
- How to Make Sure Your Social Media Strategy Succeeds: Take a Cross-Discipline Approach