The next most popular motivation is to "to share important things" (43%), followed by "to share funny things" (43%).
Other common reasons for sharing online are "to let others know what I believe in and who I really am" (39%); "to recommend a product, service, movie, book, etc." (30%); "to add my support to a cause, an organization, or a belief" (29%); and "to share unique things" (26%).
Two in ten share "to let others know what I'm doing" (22%) and "to add to a thread or conversation" (20%). One in ten say they share on social media "to show I'm in the know" (11%).
Overall, 71% of respondents said they had shared something on a social media in the past month.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on an online survey of more than 12,000 global "sharers" (people who had shared some type of content on social media sites in the previous month).
- "To share interesting things" was the top reason for social media sharing across nearly all 24 countries surveyed. One notable exception was Saudi Arabia, where respondents were most likely to choose "to let others know what I believe in and who I really am" (65%) as their top reason.
- Those most likely to indicate they engage in sharing on social media sites "to share interesting things" were from China (76%), Indonesia (76%), South Africa (74%), Turkey (71%), Russia (68%), Spain (66%), Canada (65%), Great Britain (65%), and the United States (65%).
About the research: The report was based on an online poll of an international sample of 18,150 adults (12,420 "sharers") age 18-64 in the US and Canada, and 16-64 in all other countries. The poll was conducted between April 2 and April 16, 2013.
Continue reading "Why People Share on Social Media" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- How Including Links in LinkedIn Posts Affects Engagement
- The Benefits of LinkedIn for B2B Marketers [Infographic]
- Five Useful LinkedIn Hashtags for Marketers [Infographic]
- How to Succeed With Video on 6 Popular Social Networks [Infographic]
- How to Make Sure Your Social Media Strategy Succeeds: Take a Cross-Discipline Approach