The report, which was based on an analysis of 61 email marketing programs in 2008 and 76 programs in 2013, found that today 33% of brands require just a subscriber's email address to sign up for a marketing program. Five years ago, only 20% were satisfied with just an email address.
Collecting less information doesn't appear to be hurting marketers. A comparison of those who asked for only minimal information with those who asked for more detail during signup showed no meaningful difference in inbox placement, read rates, or complaint rates.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
Over the past five years marketers have shifted their approach during the email unsubscribe process to better retain customer relationships and gather more information:
- 25% of the brands examined now offer opt-down alternatives such as different sending frequencies, something only a few senders did five years ago.
- 22% now ask customers for feedback about why they are unsubscribing, compared with just 3% in 2008.
- 80% of the brands examined now begin email subscriptions with a welcome message, up from 40% in 2008.
- However, fewer marketers this year (39%) sweetened their welcome messages with special offers, such as discounts or free shipping; five years ago 65% of those who sent a welcome email included a special offer.
Only 22% of the current email campaigns examined referred to a name, location, or other identifying information in messages to subscribers, down slightly from 25% in 2008.
About the research: The report was based on data from 61 email marketing programs in 2008 and 76 programs in 2013 (many of which were the same). Return Path also analyzed data from its panel of 3 million email subscribers.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- Four Ways to Empower Your Email Marketing Strategy With AI
- Seven Crucial Marketing Automation Workflows You Need for Building Campaigns
- 10 Email Marketing Do's and Don'ts for Campaign Success [Infographic]
- Five Steps for Leading Email Marketing Through Change and Crisis
- How COVID-19 Affected Email Benchmarks in 19 Industries in Spring 2020