Email open rates decreased 8.3% in 2Q13 from 1Q13 levels, but increased 11.5% over the equivalent period in 2012, resulting in an overall average open rate of 28.5%, according to Epsilon's quarterly email trends and benchmark report.
The average click rate in 2Q13 was 4.3%, down both quarter over quarter and year over year.
However, the average non-bounce rate (the percentage of emails that were not returned as undelivered) remained strong at 96.1%.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from Epsilon’s proprietary email platform.
Performance by Industry
- In 2Q13, the highest open rates occurred in the retail (40%), financial services (39.6%), and travel (31.8%) categories.
- The highest click-to-open rates occurred in the consumer products (40.5%), retail apparel (24.4%), and consumer publishing/media (20.7%) categories.
Email List Behavior
- In 2Q13, 51% of subscribers to the average email list were active—up slightly quarter over quarter, with 50.1% active in 1Q13 and 49.9% active in 4Q12.
- 36% of new subscribers were active after their initial opt-in to an email program (New Clickers and New Openers in the following chart). That is an increase over 2Q12, when 34% of new subscribers were active.
- The remaining 64% of new subscribers were unengaged with marketers' email programs.
About the research: The report was based on data from from 6.1 billion emails sent by Epsilon in April, May, and June 2013 across multiple industries on behalf of approximately 150 participating clients.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- How to Use Email Suppression Lists for Better Email Marketing
- Tips, Tricks, and Hacks for B2B Email Marketing Success | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- The 'Best' Use Cases for Unique Generative AI-Crafted Emails (Unfortunately!)
- New B2B Email Marketing Techniques That Work Right Now | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- The Top 10 Passive-Aggressive Workplace Email Phrases [Infographic]
- Beyond Open Rate: Eight Metrics for More Effective Email Marketing