Nearly two-thirds (65%) of B2C marketing emails were opened on either a smartphone or a tablet in 4Q13, up from 61% in 3Q13, according to recent data from Movable Ink.
Some 48% of opens occurred on a smartphone, and just over 16% occurred on a tablet, the analysis found. Tablet opens were up from 15% in 3Q13 and 14% in 2Q13.
Although Android tablets accounted for only 1.8% of opens in 4Q13, that figure was twice as high as in the previous quarter, when they accounted for 0.9% of total email opens.
Desktops accounted for just 35% of email opens, down from 39% in the previous quarter.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from Movable Ink's customer base of more than 100 enterprise B2C marketers from the retail, travel, financial, media, and telecommunications industries.
Opens by Operating System
- Apple smartphones and tablets accounted for 50% of B2C marketing email opens in 4Q13.
- Android smartphones and tablets accounted for 14% of all email opens, up from 10% in the previous quarter.
- Across all devices, iPhone users spent the most time viewing emails: 38% spent 15 seconds or more viewing each marketing message.
- Android smartphone users came in a close second, with 35% spending 15 seconds or more viewing an email.
About the research: The report was based on 4Q13 data from Movable Ink's customer base of more than 100 enterprise B2C marketers from the retail, travel, financial, media, and telecommunications industries.
Enter your email address to keep reading ...
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
Email Marketing Articles
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- The 10 Most Popular Email Greetings and Sign-Offs [Infographic]
- What the Email Marketing Funnel Looks Like [Infographic]
- How Much Harder Has Email Marketing Become?
- Nine Email Marketing Tips for B2B Marketers [Infographic]
- 10 Email A/B Testing Best-Practices [Infographic]
- Five Ways to Realign Your Email Marketing to Your Overall Business Goals in 2023