The use of animated GIFs, in particular, has spiked significantly, with 74% of marketers saying they have experimented with including them in emails. Other popular active features include responsive mobile design (33% have used), movable ink (27%), video (26%), and horizontal or multi-directional scroll (26%).
Below, additional insights from the 2014 Digital Marketer: Benchmark and Trend Report, which summarizes key findings from previous Experian studies.
Customer Data and Preferences
- Only 35% of marketers ask customers how often they would like to be emailed.
- 60% of marketers do not give customers the option to select the types of emails they want to receive.
- In 2013, 18% more marketers collected the birth date of customers than in 2012, and 16% more collected ZIP Codes.
- Half of all unique email opens now occur on a mobile device. Webmail and desktop are tied as the second most popular devices/platforms for opening email, each with 23% of opens.
- Mobile also leads in click rates (39%), though webmail is close behind (35%).
- However, the largest number of transactions triggered by email still comes from webmail (48%), followed by desktop (25%).
- The iPhone is the most commonly used mobile device for email opens and clicks. Android phones are third for opens and transactions, but second for clicks.
- The iPad garners the most transactions from emails of any mobile device.
About the research: The 2014 Digital Marketer: Benchmark and Trend Report was based on data from previous Experian studies.
Continue reading "Email Design and Platform Trends" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- How Marketers Are Approaching Email Dark Mode [Infographic]
- Do Marketers Consider Accessibility When Crafting Email Campaigns?
- Why B2B Brands Face Unique—and Sometimes Self-Inflicted—Email Deliverability Challenges
- How iOS 15 Will Kill Email Open Rates—And How Marketers Can Prepare
- Apple's Hide My Email: A New Reason to Accept Only Corporate Email Addresses