The use of animated GIFs, in particular, has spiked significantly, with 74% of marketers saying they have experimented with including them in emails. Other popular active features include responsive mobile design (33% have used), movable ink (27%), video (26%), and horizontal or multi-directional scroll (26%).
Below, additional insights from the 2014 Digital Marketer: Benchmark and Trend Report, which summarizes key findings from previous Experian studies.
Customer Data and Preferences
- Only 35% of marketers ask customers how often they would like to be emailed.
- 60% of marketers do not give customers the option to select the types of emails they want to receive.
- In 2013, 18% more marketers collected the birth date of customers than in 2012, and 16% more collected ZIP Codes.
- Half of all unique email opens now occur on a mobile device. Webmail and desktop are tied as the second most popular devices/platforms for opening email, each with 23% of opens.
- Mobile also leads in click rates (39%), though webmail is close behind (35%).
- However, the largest number of transactions triggered by email still comes from webmail (48%), followed by desktop (25%).
- The iPhone is the most commonly used mobile device for email opens and clicks. Android phones are third for opens and transactions, but second for clicks.
- The iPad garners the most transactions from emails of any mobile device.
About the research: The 2014 Digital Marketer: Benchmark and Trend Report was based on data from previous Experian studies.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- Tips, Tricks, and Hacks for B2B Email Marketing Success | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How to Use Email Suppression Lists for Better Email Marketing
- The 'Best' Use Cases for Unique Generative AI-Crafted Emails (Unfortunately!)
- New B2B Email Marketing Techniques That Work Right Now | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- The Top 10 Passive-Aggressive Workplace Email Phrases [Infographic]
- Beyond Open Rate: Eight Metrics for More Effective Email Marketing