However, of the 73% who are aware of the deduction, just more than half (57%) say they are taking advantage of it on their 2013 tax return.
Nearly two-thirds (64%) of the small business owners deducting marketing expense say they are writing off about the same amount this year as on their 2012 return, 22% are deducting more, and 14% are deducting less.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from an online survey conducted on April 3, 2014 among 211 US-based small business owners.
A $500 Refund?
- Asked what they would do if they received a $500 tax refund to put toward a single marketing channel, 33% of respondents say they would spend the money on their website.
- 17% say they would put a $500 refund toward Internet advertising, 14% would spend it on a mobile app, and 10% would invest it in a print ad campaign.
- 70% of respondents with marketing budgets say the money they spent in 2013 was a good investment, whereas just 7% say it wasn't. The remaining 23% say they are not sure yet.
- 40% of respondents plan to spend more on marketing in 2014 than they did in 2013, 36% do not plan on spending more, and 24% are still not sure.
About the research: The report was based on data from an online survey conducted on April 3, 2014 of 211 US-based small business owners.
Continue reading "27% of SMBs Unaware of Marketing Tax Deduction" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to General Management:
- How to Hire a Marketing Agency and Build a Productive Relationship
- Why Job Seekers Are Not Accepting Offers [Infographic]
- The Power of One (Or How to Effect Change): Keith Jennings on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Level-Up Your Company Culture [Infographic]
- Chief Marketer Survey: The Biggest Marketing Leadership Deficiencies