Three-quarters of marketers who run global email campaigns say they do not maintain a list of regional preferences and instead manage localization on an ongoing basis, according to a recent report from Lionbridge.
Most marketers surveyed (57%) say they do customize/translate email copy for specific countries or regions, and a majority (53%) also create multiple versions of their Web links.
Less than half of respondents customize images (47%), brand messaging (45%), calls-to-action (43%), and colors (19%) for specific locations.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 570 marketers in 25 countries.
Who Handles Global Campaigns
- Most respondents say they execute email strategies internally using either an email marketing system (35.6%) or a marketing automation system (31.4%). Only 7.2% of respondents use an external agency for email.
- 64.1% of respondents say they handle global campaigns centrally at their corporate headquarters.
- Who is responsible for email marketing varies from company to company, with 34.4% of respondents saying it is the responsibility of Digital Marketing in their organization, 40.2% Marketing Operations, and the rest split among Customer Care, Promotions/Program Management, and "Other."
Motivations for Running Email Campaigns
- Respondents say they run global email campaigns for many reasons, including: customer engagement (74%), product announcements/news (71.3%), customer acquisition/product sales (63.3%), brand awareness (57.9%), customer service (45.3%), and customer/industry research (30.8%).
Compliance and Frequency
- 60.4% report that an internal team handles global privacy and legal compliance for email programs and 26.1% say their email system manages it.
- 45.2% of respondents place no restrictions on the frequency of global email campaigns.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted in March and April, 2014 of 570 marketers in 25 countries.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- When and How to Use Plain-Text Email in Marketing: Use Cases, Design Best-Practices
- Email at Scale: How to Increase Campaigns and Manage Complexity
- How to Effectively Use CTAs in B2B Cold Emailing
- Email Subject Line Benchmarks for Common Tactics and Words
- Taking the Mystery Out of Email Deliverability [Infographic]
- More Meaningful Metrics: Four Tips for Marketers Post-Apple iOS 15 Privacy Updates