Content from news and information publishers that ranks well on Google tends to be lengthier, more shared on social media, and more relevant to the search query compared with top-ranking content in other verticals, according to recent data from Searchmetrics.
The report was based on an analysis of more than 6,000 general and topical keywords relevant to the online media/publishing sector (news sites, company blogs, etc.).
The researchers looked at the top 20 Google desktop organic search results for each keyword to determine which SEO factors correlate to a high ranking.
They also compared the industry-specific results to results across all verticals to see which ranking factors are especially influential on publisher rankings.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- The 20 Biggest Winners on Google Search Last Year
- The Local Search Factors That Matter Most
- How Voice Search Can Drive Phone Calls to Your Business [Infographic]
- How to Perform a Detailed SERP Analysis to Find Low-Difficulty Keywords
- Alexa, Revolutionize My SEO Strategy: How to Capitalize on AI-Assisted Voice Search