The report was based on data from a survey conducted in February and March 2020 among 400 marketing, sales, and operations professionals, most of whom work for B2B firms.
Half of respondents cite a lack of accurate/complete data on target accounts and prospects as a major challenge to aligning Marketing and Sales teams.
Some 47% of respondents cite communication as a major barrier to alignment, and 44% cite broken/flawed processes.
Some 59% of salespeople say marketers are not held accountable for the pipeline, and just over half (51%) of all respondents say the marketing and sales teams at their firm meet to discuss the pipeline only quarterly or less frequently.
Some 74% of respondents say they have a good or excellent relationship with their counterparts in Marketing or Sales.
Marketers say the top thing they want from Sales is better lead follow-up. Salespeople say the top thing they want from Marketing is better-quality leads.
Some 90% of marketers say they believe sales is a difficult job, and 84% of salespeople say they respect the marketing department.
However, 32% of marketers say salespeople don't listen, and 23% of salespeople think they could do a better marketing job than their firm's marketing team.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted in February and March 2020 among 400 marketing, sales, and operations professionals, most of whom work for B2B firms.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Management:
- Better Together: The Importance of Aligning Sales and Marketing Teams
- Sales and Marketing Alignment Insights, Strategies, and Success Indicators: Matt Heinz on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Are Job Seekers Lying About Their AI Skills?
- Reduce Friction With a Yearend Marketing Road Map for Smooth Sailing in 2024
- How to Build a Great Marketing Team in 2023 | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Employee Engagement Strategies for Remarkable Experiences and Effective Onboarding: Joey Coleman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]