Topic: E-Marketing

What's Sryan's Domain Name Worth?

Posted by SRyan ;] on 500 Points
Hello, friends!

I've got a bunch of domain names up for sale, and someone just made me an offer on one: G4B (dot com).

No, there's no website with it, and no meaningful traffic that AfterNIC has tracked.

I was considering blowing the dust off of it and using it for my new biz identity, something like "G4B Design: What's good for business." But this offer came in today for $1,500.

What do you think? Should I take the money and run?

Thanks, as always, for your brilliant input!

- Shelley
To continue reading this question and the solution, sign up ... it's free!


  • Posted by Deremiah *CPE on Accepted

    I've always thought you were *Pretty Smart and after examining this question I would have to say you're still *Pretty Smart. I think you ought to take the $1500.00 dollars today instead waiting for a better offer unless you know something you're not telling me. And you wouldn't do that would you?

    Your Servant, Deremiah, *CPE (Concluding Practical Examination)
  • Posted by Deremiah *CPE on Member
    Hey Michele,

    what are you doing up in SA it's only 5:07 am. Well I do agree with Michele and she's very intuitive. And if she says take it SRYAN ;] take it.
  • Posted by Deremiah *CPE on Member
    Hey Bill Moore,

    What are you doing up? You should be in the bed in Florida, and man I'm still waiting on you to pass that million dollar idea on to me. Hey Shelley if Real Deal Disco Bill says take it TAKE IT NOW & Catch a cab to get away if you have to. Hey Shelley Bill's my official "Florida Soul Brother". Do it!
  • Posted by Pepper Blue on Accepted

    Sell that bad boy now.

    As the one who turned you onto Afternic (I think) and if they show no meaningful traffic with that domain, then that sounds like a fair market value for a name that, unless somebody has a company or a service/product with intellectual property already in place with "G4B", it really has little meaning or value.

    What I would do is find out why they want it. Is it for the reasons I just mentioned? If so, negotiable value goes up.

    Have you checked (even a simple Google) for "G4B"? What about the USPTO?

    I would at least do these things before I got rid of it, but I would act quickly.

    BTW, GoDaddy at is running 2 Super Bowl 30 second commercials for their domain registration service only. Seeing as how that makes an impression on a forecasted 90 million people, that could effect the value also.

    Something to think about in the next 44 hours.

    I hope that helps.

  • Posted by SRyan ;] on Author
    It must be a slow Friday night out there... everybody's online!
  • Posted by Ann H. on Accepted
    Sheldon, Shellery, Shelster...

    You know how I feel about that "4" in the middle of that domain my 8-year-old says, "It's sssSSOOooo 2000!"

    My *only* hesitation in laughing all the way to the bank is that three-letter (okay, in this case, two-letter and one-digit) domains are increasingly difficult to come I do wonder if you can get more cash for it. I'd hate for you to leave money on the table...

    So just did you advertise the domain for sale? On which venue? Did the offer come in immediately or were these hanging out there for a long time with a big ol' For Sale (4 Sale!) sign on them?

    Cheers on a chilly Friday in Boston,

  • Posted by SRyan ;] on Author
    Hi, Ann!

    I listed my names on AfterNIC. (Somebody here on the forum recommended it a few months ago when I was pondering a rummage sale of my digital inventory.)

    It took a while for this fish to bite! Another sign that I should take it and catch Deremiah's cab, perhaps?

  • Posted by Deremiah *CPE on Member
    SHELLEY>It must be a slow Friday night out there... everybody's online!

    Try looking at it like this Shelley...You must have an interesting money making question because everybody's on your mind.

    Shelley's got a question online,
    Now Shelley's got everybody on her mind.
    Shelley's got a question it's fab,
    Take the money honey and catch a cab
    Shelley's got a deal and it's rrrreal,
    $1,500.00 in dollar bills
    Go Shelley!
    Go Shelley!
    Go Shelley, Shelley, Shelley! (lol)

  • Posted by Ann H. on Moderator
    Hi, Shellstein!

    AfterNIC: Good choice. The only other domain marketplace I've heard good things about is sedo (

    I guess if this were a few years ago... I'd push my luck and hold out to see if a slightly larger fish might nibble. But since it ain't 1999, I'd have to agree with these fine folks here: If someone is offering you $1,500 for a domain, I'd take it and cash that check but quick.



  • Posted by Chris Blackman on Accepted


  • Posted by Chris Blackman on Member
    And if you thought G4B was a good domain name, run out with your $1500 and spend $10 on registering Gr84B!

    (Great for Business)

    You could invest the change in Margaritas!

  • Posted by SRyan ;] on Author
    So, Chris, I could dedicate part of the proceeds to a Margarita Bash...

    but I don't think it'll buy me airfare to host it in Oz!

    A cryin' shame...
  • Posted by Peter (henna gaijin) on Accepted
    I agree with the prior comments - take the money and run!
  • Posted by Blaine Wilkerson on Accepted
    It's tempting to take the money. However, I would make a benign "stall" in an effort to see if they will up the offer.

    I have sold many domain names in the past. The first offer is usually coupled with some guy crossing his fingers, hoping you will take it.

    Perhaps you can say something like: "Thank you for the offer. I am meeting with my business associates in order to assess the value of the domain. We were planning on using it to launch a significant service based initiative. However, we are taking your offer under serious consideration. Please allow us 48 hours to make a decision"

    Then, let them sweat. If they never counter and you feel gutsy, counter with $2150 (and state the number was derived from a perceived value by a board of directors). But if you can't afford to make the bluff, I think the answer is obvious.

    I used this tactic twice. One time it changed an offer of $350 to $550. The other time resulted in simply taking the money. It all depends on how many chips you have and if you have a good "hand".

    A little research resulted in the following:

    1. "G4B" is the primary prefix on all electrical relays that are widely distributed and manufactured by Omron Electronics LLC . This is fairly significant and widely used.

    2. It is a file extension for a complex game...and apparently is a file extention relating to complex calculations in a variety of programs

    If #1 is the company making you the offer, I would try to get more $$$ since "G4B" is a primary prefix for their electrical relays which are propietary and classified as "G4B".

    Good Luck!
  • Posted by Deremiah *CPE on Member

    you''re ALIVE!! (lol)

    Hey man it's great to see you offer some interesting alternative as you normally do. Definitely a good reason to make a counter offer. Hey Shelley if you make a counter offer and it doesn't work we'll all pitch in and send you $1,500.00 but if you counter offer and it's a significant increase go to Disney World.

    I know you know,

  • Posted by Carl Crawford on Accepted

    I see you are asking for $5000, I would take Blaine's advice and play some hard ball, hold out for a bit more $$$.

    personally I don't think g4b is that great a domain name, but I guess it is easy to remember.

    Have you done a google search on the email address they used to contact you with, that might give you an idea of what they might use the domain name for.

    Carl Crawford
  • Posted by tjh on Accepted
    I'm of two minds on this.

    The first is that a Hold position is as good as a New York land title, or an early East Texas mineral rights option - someday it's likely to be worth much more.

    The second - I've emailed you privately.
  • Posted by telemoxie on Accepted

    Not that catchy - plus its's just a tad confusing since it's a combination of numbers and letters. If I were on the phone and said I was calling from, many would ask, "Is that g4b dot com or (or or

  • Posted by SRyan ;] on Author
    Good strategic moves, Blaine! Actually, I'm already hoping that he's sweating a bit because I have waited so long to reply to his offer.

    Carl, I can't tell what the buyer's email address is because it's all rather anonymous through AfterNIC.

    Tom i don"t see your message >>> and jeepers my sHIFT KEY IS GOING BONKERS AGAIN! sorry for the glitch.
  • Posted by SRyan ;] on Author
    Update on this saga: The buyer did in fact close the deal at $1,500 (and AfterNIC made a nice commission).

    Thanks to all of you for your enthusiastic advice! ;]

Post a Comment