Jay Schwedelson drops a lot of truth bombs in this episode of the Marketing Smarts Live Show, and the most impressive one might just be that so-called "experts" aren't always the best source of information on email marketing.
"Most of the so-called experts are regurgitating old information, [so]...testing things is going to be your best path forward," he says. "You must be testing something every time you hit send."
Technology is changing. Things that were true 10 years ago no longer apply.
Jay and host George B. Thomas refer to the world of email marketing as "the Wild Wild West." "There are no more rules," Jay says, and then proves it by taking controversial stances.
Here are a few of them:
- Open rates can be valuable (what?!).
- Unsubscribes are a good thing, so don't let them freak you out.
- There's no such thing as ultimate success with email; and if things don't suck, you're probably doing fine (whew).
This episode also emphasizes the importance of segmentation, A/B-testing, and CTAs that offer a benefit instead of a task.
Watch the video for more valuable insights:
Episode Details, Guest Information, and Referenced Links
Episode No. 18
- Live date: December 5, 2022
- Episode link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfvhcN45JwM
- Original podcast episode: New B2B Email Marketing Techniques That Work Right Now: Jay Schwedelson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
Guest's social media profiles:
MarketingProfs resources referenced in the show:
- Four Ways to Boost Email Deliverability Before Your Holiday Email Campaigns
- Your Email Marketing as Cinderella: Treat It Like a Princess, Not a Servant
"In B2B News" article referenced in the show:
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- Engagement-Based Email Segmentation: How to Ensure Your Messages Land in the Inbox
- How to Use Email Suppression Lists for Better Email Marketing
- Tips, Tricks, and Hacks for B2B Email Marketing Success | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- The 'Best' Use Cases for Unique Generative AI-Crafted Emails (Unfortunately!)
- Beyond Open Rate: Eight Metrics for More Effective Email Marketing
- The Biggest Blocks During the Email Production Process