Companies are attracting an increasing number of consumers on Twitter, with brands recording an average of 43% increase in followers last year, according to a recent report from ExactTarget Marketing Cloud.
Four industries in particular significantly increased followers in 2013: technology and manufacturing (up 93%), retail and e-commerce (75%), CPG (55%), and financial services (55%).
Below, key findings from the report, which was based on data from 3.6 million tweets (paid and organic) sent in 2013 by companies in 15 industries.
Engagement Rates by Industry
- Consumers across all the examined industries gravitate toward tweets that include photos.
- Tweets containing photos receive 3.3 replies on average, compared with 1.7 replies on average for non-photo tweets.
- On average, nine consumers retweet a photo tweet compared with five for a non-photo tweet.
- Retail and e-commerce companies sent the most tweets (303K) in 2013 of any brands examined.
- Media and entertainment companies received the most replies on average (7.7) and retweets (23.6).
Engagement by Day and Time
- Tweets sent by brands on Sundays get most retweets and replies, on average, but companies tweet the least on this day, the analysis found.
- During the workweek, companies tweet the least on Mondays and increase volume as the week goes on.
- The highest volume of tweets occurred last year between 3 PM and 6 PM CST.
- The highest engagement rates occurred between 9 PM and 12 AM CST (4.9 replies and 27.3 retweets, on average).
About the research: The report was based on data from 3.6 million tweets (paid and organic) sent in 2013 by companies in 15 industries.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- The Social Networks Used Most by B2B Marketers
- You CAN Use Social Media for B2B (Even in a Pandemic): 'Ultimate Guide to Social Media' Authors Talk With Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How Marketers Can Succeed With Instagram Stories [Infographic]
- Your B2B Influencer Strategy: How to Get it Right
- Retargeting on LinkedIn: What B2B Marketers Need to Know [Infographic]