Market Research: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
How to Improve Your Research ROI: Six Best-PracticesLaura PattersonCustomer or market research and intelligence are essential to fact-based decision-making. Here are six best-practices for conducting research and reasons for considering external resources to help you avoid costly mistakes.
Five Keyword Types Small Business Owners Need to Track for Social Media and Web MonitoringAleh BarysevichSocial media monitoring has become an important part of digital marketing. Though most marketers understand its necessity, the details aren't as clear. The most common question: What keywords should I ...
Your Brand Tracking Program Is All Wrong: Five Tips to Fix ItMitch MarkelBrand tracking—collecting data from a static group of consumers on a regular basis—can assess and scrutinize shifts in KPIs and consumer attitudes and behaviors. You can track and benchmark everything ...
Three Customer Feedback Myths That Deserve BustingCaleb ElstonToday's survey tools allow marketers to add more flourishes than ever to customer feedback surveys. But, it turns out, less is more when asking customers for input. See which top ...
Three Ways Your Marketing Team Needs to Use Social InsightsJen HandleySocial media's importance in the sales/marketing funnel is by now undisputed, but visibility into the insights each platform can provide is often clouded by meaningless metrics. Here's how your team ...
How to Use Online Communities for a Marketing Strategy Driven by Customer DataSteven HamrickCommunities offer you an opportunity to better understand your customers by capitalizing on the data they provide online. You can then use that data to offer personalized content at various ...
Four Ways to Use SIC and NAICS Codes to Boost Marketing EffectivenessMimi MilesThe SIC and NAICS classification systems were developed in an era of relatively little technology, but they provide a useful framework for the hundreds of industry verticals that manufacturing marketers ...
Four Visual Neuromarketing Hacks to Boost Your BrandingMostafa DastrasAny detail of your branding efforts can have a negative or positive effect on your customers' decision-making. These visual hacks will help you get attention and enhance your branding efforts.
Five Ways to Gain Customer Insight: A Guide for MarketersSteve HartertHaving a strong understanding of your customers helps you spot warning signals before sales go completely south, as well as discover trends that can lead to new areas of growth ...
Social Listening in 2017: The Next Frontier in Social MediaUlrik Bo LarsenSocial media is already an important part of the customer experience. Which is why marketers are using social listening for better targeting during the customer journey. Here are the social ...
Market Research: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Move Past Keywords to Audience Strategy With Conversational Research: Jason Falls on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneJason Falls, senior vice-president of digital strategy at Elasticity, explains how (and why) to move beyond social media monitoring and keywords to conversational research and audience strategy.
Forget Big Data, the Future Is in 'Small Data': Author Martin Lindstrom on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneBranding expert, speaker, and best-selling author Martin Lindstrom discusses his unique brand of in-depth consumer research, and shares insights from his latest book, Small Data: The Tiny Clues That Uncover Huge Trends.
Data, TV, and the Limitless Focus Group: 4C's Josh Dreller on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneJoshua Dreller of data science company 4C offers insight into the lasting appeal of television and how data on viewing, combined with social data, can supercharge your message targeting.
What Makes Buyers Tick: Dr. Carl Marci of Nielsen Consumer Neuroscience on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSecrets for sussing out what truly drives buying decisions and brand loyalty, courtesy of Dr. Carl Marci, chief neuroscientist at Nielsen Consumer Neuroscience and co-founder of Innerscope Research.
Uplifting Instagram Marketing: Soffe Apparel's Paul Anderson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSoffe Apparel's director of marketing, Paul Anderson, explains the research and strategy behind the company's rebranding and its targeted use of social channels such as Instagram to energize audiences.
Audience-Centric Marketing: Tom Webster Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneTom Webster, vice-president of marketing and strategy at Edison Research, explains the simple shift in thinking that can help marketers to create more effective messages.
The Language of Brand Love: Loveworks Author Brian Sheehan Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor Brian Sheehan discusses his latest book "Loveworks," the characteristics of beloved brands, and how you can create a "sensual experience" for your prospects and customers.
The Truth Is Unscripted: Adele Revella Talks Buyer Personas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"Buyer personas don't work if you make stuff up," Adele Revella told me during this week's episode of Marketing Smarts. "They work if you listen to customers first." But to gather real, actionable customer intelligence, you need to talk to ...
The Changing Agency/Client Relationship: Glenn Engler Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantSenior-level marketers don't seem to believe their digital partners are adequately extending their service capabilities in the digital age. So how does an agency demonstrate that it "gets" digital? Glenn Engler, CEO of Digital Influence Group, answers that question in ...
Market Research: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Don't Let Social Media Data Spook You!Broadcast on 10/31/2017 with Arnab Chakravarty, Ammar Mohammed, Brendan GradyJoin us for this free seminar to learn how to leverage the wealth of social media data to make better marketing decisions. Sponsored by Softchoice
- How a Well-Run Customer Advisory Board Can Help Your Company Collect Corporate and Product Feedback to Expand RevenueBroadcast on 3/16/2017 with Eyal Danon, Gavin NathanIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the essential elements for creating and managing a world-class CAB program. You'll learn how to set up a customer advisory board, how to run effective in-person and remote meetings, and how to turn those meeting insights into actions that will help you retain customers and positively impact your bottom line.
- Digital Trends for 2017: What You Need to Know NowBroadcast on 8/11/2016 with Mike CorakIn this PRO seminar, we'll share the top digital trends that will deliver today and into the future. We'll walk through the best of what's ahead while gaining insight and tips for real-world application in digital communications, roadmap creation, and most importantly, performance optimization. We'll expose false predictions and shine a light on the trends you shouldn't ignore. You'll leave with the knowledge and actionable information you need to succeed in digital marketing in 2017.
- MarketingProfs University: Zero to Hero—How to Gain Impactful Insights From Your DataBroadcast on 4/14/2016 with Jim SterneIn this PRO seminar, Jim Sterne will define big data and outline what it takes to become a digital marketing analyst (or at least know what to look for in one!). You'll learn how to understand your data and tools, and dissect the problems to be solved. We'll also cover the art of data analysis and how to communicate your findings to the C-suite.
- Case Study: Reframe Your Media Strategy to Identify and Engage New AudiencesBroadcast on 7/16/2015 with Alyssa Hall, Emily VidettoIn this PRO seminar, we'll explain how GAF Roofing redefined their media and branding strategy to engage a new audience and re-engage their traditional audiences through social, PR, television, video, and more. You'll learn how to tailor your approach to capture the attention of a shifting customer base as well as gain insight on how to update both your messaging and media to increase loyalty and engagement.
- Tune In to the Voice of the CompetitorBroadcast on 3/5/2015 with Sean CampbellIn this PRO seminar, we'll cover strategies and tactics you can use to go beyond the voice of customer (VOC) research and move into voice of the competitor (VOTC) research. We'll explain how to tap into the digital world to not only identify your competitors' customers and influencers, but uncover the messages they're sending, as well as share proven best practices to help bring your marketing in line with the world around you. You'll leave this seminar armed with tools and techniques that can provide both quantitative and qualitative measures of competitor voice.
- Take on the World: Compete Globally with Customer Experience ManagementBroadcast on 10/17/2013 with Liz HighThis PRO seminar is not just relevant for the global marketer, as you'll also learn how customer experience innovation in one market propels a company's competitiveness and growth across the globe.
- Ten Best Practices for Performing Competitive TeardownsBroadcast on 7/26/2012 with Sean CampbellYou'll learn the do's and don'ts of acquiring competitors' solutions, methods to perform the teardown effectively and fairly, and how you can use the results to improve your marketing and sales collateral.
- Sales Messaging That Closes the DealBroadcast on 6/21/2012 with Tim RiestererDiscover how to develop content marketing messages that help your salespeople close the deal and convince prospects to choose you.
- MarketingProfs University: Understanding and Engaging Today’s Connected BuyerBroadcast on 6/7/2012 with Tony ZambitoThis PRO seminar and first class of MarketingProfs University's Digital Advertising Academy will get you inside the minds of your buyers and cover why understanding them is the first step to successful branding, marketing, and demand generation.
Market Research: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Create a Tactical Sales and Marketing Plan in Eight Hours or LessReleased on 7/18/2014 with James ObermayerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create your own SWOT analysis, and well-defined goals, objectives, strategies, and tactics. With this information, you'll be able to develop your own sales and marketing plan in 8 hours (or less!).
- Take 10: How to Gather Competitive Intelligence from Q&A ForumsReleased on 4/29/2011 with Scott SwigartIn this Take 10, competitive intelligence expert Scott Swigart tells you which Q&A sites are prime spots for unearthing a mother lode of information on your competition and how best to stake your claim.
- Take 10: How to Reverse Engineer Your Competitors’ Customer ListReleased on 4/15/2011 with Scott SwigartIn this Take 10 webcast, competitive intelligence expert Scott Swigart explains how you can gather data from a variety of public information sources, such as Google and LinkedIn, and then connect the dots to gain insight into who your competition's customers actually are.
- Take 10: Discover What Your Competition is Worried (and Excited) AboutReleased on 1/7/2011 with Scott SwigartLet competitive intelligence expert Scott Swigart show you the way as he explains which sources to tap, what types of information to look for, and how to corroborate your findings when researching publicly traded companies.
- Take 10: Google Tools the Pros Use for Advanced Competitive ResearchReleased on 12/10/2010 with Sean CampbellTake a quick tour of the advanced Google tools the pros use to guide their online research, gather insight on competitors, and get a solid read on the state of the industry in this Take 10 presentation by market research specialist Sean Campbell.
- Take 10: Using LinkedIn Company Pages for Networking and ProspectingReleased on 11/26/2010 with Jason AlbaFind out why Companies is LinkedIn expert Jason Alba's second favorite feature as he explains where to go on LinkedIn to find key data and how to use it for networking and prospecting.
- Take 10: Dig up the Good Stuff About Your Competitors Using GoogleReleased on 11/19/2010 with Sean CampbellIn this Take 10 webcast, market research specialist Sean Campbell outlines some of the basic search modes you can use to save time and push the good stuff to the top.
- Take 10: Using Twitter as a Competitive Research ToolReleased on 10/22/2010 with Sean CampbellFind out how the competitive intelligence experts make the best use of their time on Twitter in this short, 10-minute presentation by Sean Campbell.
Market Research: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Marketing Automation Management: What It Is, Why You Need It, and Where It's HeadedThis 18-page guide will help you better understand the capabilities of marketing automation systems and how to make best use of them–plus, we provide resources for learning more.
- LinkedIn Success StoriesLinkedIn is used by 55 million professionals as a place to network, trade advice, and demonstrate business expertise. See how 11 companies, including PR firms, advertising agencies, and software companies, are using LinkedIn to show expertise, generate leads, and conduct research.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to a Social Media Program: Everything you need to know about establishing your strategy, policy and teamThe adage “think before you speak” has now become “think before you write.” In this age of instant messaging, businesses need to wield their online words thoughtfully. Check out MarketingProfs “A Step-by-Step Guide to a Successful Social Media Program” to learn how to create your social media strategy, policy and team.
- Customer-Centric Innovation: How Companies Engage Customers in Product Development and Radical InnovationEngaging your customers can help increase satisfaction, loyalty, and brand awareness. This research report will help you understand the role of customers in product development.
- B-to-B Marketing in 2008: Trends in Strategies and SpendingMarketingProfs research provides B2B marketers guidance for making budget and media mix allocations by exploring the issues and emerging trends in 2008.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Market ResearchNeed to learn about your customers without the big price tag of market research firms? This guide on do-it-yourself market research will help you get the information you need to position your business without emptying the corporate coffers.
- Online Research How-To GuideSet clear objectives and a realistic scope to online research projects. These are just two of the steps that this comprehensive, step-by-step planning guide will help you to accomplish to insure your online research results in the most relevant and useful information possible.
- Market Forecasting TemplateThis guide will give you a mini-seminar on the art and the science of forecasting. Learn the four different ways to create forecasting models and choose the ones that best suit your needs. Then follow these easy-to-follow steps to creating a model where you too can predict the future.
- Benchmark Report : Marketing ROI (Year 2)This 2006 survey, the second annual ROI study, demonstrates that companies are definitely getting the ROI message. This study shows a significant increase in the number of companies that have implemented some form of Marketing ROI measurements. And let's face it, Marketing ROI is here to stay. Jim Lenskold says, "Marketing ROI will continue to be a priority as long as maximizing profits is a priority for corporations." Well said, Jim.
- Competitive Analysis TemplateA thorough competitive analysis is a critical component of a solid marketing plan. It is an exercise that will provide you with valuable insights to guide the development of your business strategy. This 20-page template will make the project quick and easy, and you can end up with a leg up on your compeition.