Advertising: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
The Share of Digital Display Ads Bought ProgrammaticallyAyaz NanjiSome 82.5% of US digital display ads will be bought programmatically this year, according to recent research from eMarketer.
Global Ad Spend Forecasts by Medium Through 2020Ayaz NanjiGlobal spend on mobile advertising grew 38% in 2017, and it's projected to increase 19% per year through 2020, according to Zenith.
Your Retargeting Program Is Probably Leaving Money on the Table [Infographic]Laura ForerMany marketers are missing crucial information to help them determine whether their ad budget is being spent in the most efficient and effective way. That means they may be missing ...
The Domination of Mobile Ads: Trends and Statistics [Infographic]Laura ForerWhat's new and hot in the world of mobile advertising? A lot. See how marketers are spending on mobile, and get ideas for your own mobile ad strategy.
How to Ignite Your LinkedIn Marketing Strategy [Infographic]Laura ForerWant to know the secrets to using LinkedIn for marketing? Ask the experts: the platform's own marketers. Check out these tips from LinkedIn's business solutions team.
Overcoming PPC Hurdles: Low Search VolumeZack Bedingfield [Sponsored Content]Here are five ways to overcome low search volume and drive more revenue from your paid search campaigns.
The Complete Guide to Snapchat Advertising Targeting Options [Infographic]Laura ForerIf you're advertising on Snapchat—or are thinking of doing so—bookmark this comprehensive list of segmenting and targeting options to make your ads more effective.
The Ad Formats and Categories Consumers Like MostAyaz NanjiAmong the various advertising formats, television ads are the still the most liked by consumers, according to recent research from Clutch.
Four Dangerous Traps Online Marketers Must AvoidMateusz SobierajWith new technologies and more data available than ever before, it's easy for marketers to get bogged down in things that don't always help them meet their goals. Here's how ...
Five Reasons People Are Wired for Visual Marketing [Infographic]Laura ForerHumans naturally gravitate toward graphics rather than text. Marketers need to understand that behavior, so take a look at the various ways people are wired to consume visual content.
Advertising: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Facebook Advertising (Yes, for B2B, Too): Peter Reitano and Jeff Goldenberg of Abacus on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneJeff Goldenberg and Peter Reitano, co-founders of the Facebook-first performance marketing agency Abacus, share insights on Facebook advertising and the future of agency marketing.
Addressable Advertising and Why Marketers Love It: Experian's Jay Stocki on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneJay Stocki of Experian Marketing Solutions explains addressable advertising—what it is, how it works, and why it's the future of TV advertising.
2016 Yearend Episode: Memorable Holiday Marketing Campaignsby Mack Collier, Kerry O'Shea GorgoneEight marketing all-stars discuss memorable holiday campaigns: what made their favorites stand out and how to create marketing that stays good longer than your neighbor's fruitcake.
How to Avoid Losing Millions to Ad Fraud: Forensiq's Amit Joshi on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAmit Joshi, director of product and data science at tech company Forensiq, explains the different types of ad fraud and how marketers can help detect and prevent ad fraud from siphoning off marketing dollars.
Get With the Program(matic): Daniel Bornstein of Demand Media on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneGain insight into programmatic advertising and sponsored content from Daniel Bornstein, senior vice-president of media monetization and operations at Demand Media, a holding company that owns ehow, LIVESTRONG, and CRACKED.
Focus on Lifetime Value: InMobi's Bob Bahramipour on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneFormer Gigwalk CEO and ad-tech industry veteran Bob Bahramipour of InMobi offers insight into the future of mobile advertising, the metrics that really matter, and the role of corporate culture in building a successful global company.
Marketing and Mad Men's Legacy: Sq1's Ernie Capobianco on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneErnie Capobianco discusses the legacy of Mad Men—how the advertising tactics depicted in the AMC series have held up—and how the tools of today have changed marketing and promotion.
Marketing That Surprises: A Special Guest Host Takes Over Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneIn line with the theme of this episode—marketing that surprises—as well as the day it airs (April Fools' Day), a surprise host takes over Marketing Smarts to discuss campaigns that surprise and (sometimes) delight!
Chicken a la Marketing: A Conversation With Author Mitzi Perdue for Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor Mitzi Perdue, wife of the late Frank Perdue, shares business and leadership lessons from the way Frank grew a father/son business into a major brand.
Brand Attachment: Larry Vincent Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneLarry Vincent, founder and executive director of The Brand Studio at United Talent Agency, discusses brand attachment, including how marketers can use it to predict buying behavior.
Advertising: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Optimize Your Search, Facebook, and Display Targeting With Call AnalyticsBroadcast on 2/27/2018 with Blair SymesJoin us for Optimize Your Search, Facebook, and Display Targeting with Call Analytics to learn the different ways to use call analytics to increase AdWords, Facebook, and display ROI. Sponsored by DialogTech
- MarketingProfs University: The Fundamentals of Paid SearchBroadcast on 8/9/2012 with George MichieIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the ins and outs of paid search, including how to set the foundation for an effective strategy, how to set budgets and goals, and much more.
- MarketingProfs University: Understanding and Engaging Today’s Connected BuyerBroadcast on 6/7/2012 with Tony ZambitoThis PRO seminar and first class of MarketingProfs University's Digital Advertising Academy will get you inside the minds of your buyers and cover why understanding them is the first step to successful branding, marketing, and demand generation.
- How to Get the Most Out of Your Facebook AdsBroadcast on 5/17/2012 with Eshwar BelaniLearn how to dramatically improve the effectiveness, reach, and ROI of your Facebook campaigns and how to use ad targeting and optimization tools outside of Facebook to create, launch, and test thousands of ads targeted at just as many (if not more) micro-segments.
- The Next Generation of Landing Pages: What's New, What's Hot, What's PerformingBroadcast on 11/10/2011 with Scott BrinkerTake a whirlwind tour of state-of-the-art landing page strategies and tactics, and update your Web marketing repertoire with a new set of best practices that you can put into action.
- New YouTube Features That Will Make You Stand Out from the CrowdBroadcast on 6/10/2010 with Michael MillerMichael Miller returns to update you with the latest marketing-oriented features of YouTube. Find out which of these new features make the most sense for your organization, and how to use them to promote your business and products.
- High-Performance Landing Pages that Boost Your Bottom Line (FREE)Broadcast on 11/19/2009 with Michael Goodman, Anna TalericoGetting them there isn't enough. Here's how you can improve the odds of converting a Web visitor into a customer.
- It's All About the Click: Fundamentals of Paid Search MarketingBroadcast on 6/4/2009 with George SeyboldPaid search, or Pay-Per-Click (PPC), marketing isn't new. But what do you need to know if you're just getting started?
- How to Create Advertising Campaigns that Make Men Do What You WantBroadcast on 5/28/2009 with Steve McNamaraNow's your chance to learn how to think like the Creative Director of a bigshot ad agency.
- Make Word-of-Mouth Marketing Work for Your CompanyBroadcast on 12/19/2007 with Andy SernovitzWord-of-mouth marketing is becoming the most important, most effective, and most ethical way to promote your company. The rise in consumer control of the media, blogs, and social networks is changing advertising forever. Take a look at how this phenomenon has happened—and what we all need to do to keep it happening.
Advertising: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Use Your CRM Data to Boost Advertising ROIReleased on 4/1/2016 with Joseph KerschbaumIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to boost your return on advertising spend (ROAS) by leveraging the data you already have. We'll cover practical tips on how to segment your CRM lists, upload them into Google AdWords and Facebook advertising, and use them to help you expand and refine your campaigns.
- Take 10: How to Develop a Dynamic Creative Briefing DocumentReleased on 1/2/2015 with R. Stephen RayfieldIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss the key components of a creative briefing document. You'll be able to take what you learned and develop a document that provides solid direction and parameters to your agency, internal marketing communications team, and/or any other group that has a hand in developing your product or brand campaign.
- Take 10: How to Monetize Your Website with Google Ad SenseReleased on 1/25/2013 with Chloe SpencerIn just 10 minutes, you'll discover important tips on how to get your site approved by Google.
- Take 10: Four Ways to Monetize Local Daily DealsReleased on 5/18/2012 with Amy FowlerJust like everything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to add daily deals into your marketing mix. In just 10 minutes, you'll learn the right way to make daily deals lucrative for your business.
- Take 10: How to Effectively Use Traditional Marketing in the Digital AgeReleased on 4/6/2012 with Elaine FogelIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how you can use traditional marketing (print advertising, direct mail, etc.) as the perfect complement to your digital marketing strategy.
- Take 10: How to Set Up and Manage Effective Facebook AdsReleased on 7/22/2011 with Paul ChaneyIn this Take 10, Internet marketing specialist Paul Chaney walks you through each step of setting up a Facebook Ad account. He makes sure that you know how to create a Facebook Ad, how to target the right people with it, and how to navigate the different pricing and scheduling options.
- Take 10: How to Host a Successful Twitter ChatReleased on 7/8/2011 with Verónica Maria JarskiIn this Take 10, Verónica Maria Jarski takes you through the eight essential ingredients of a rockin' good Twitter chat.
- Take 10: How to Select Images That Make Your Marketing More EffectiveReleased on 7/1/2011 with Dan HillIn this Take 10, Dan Hill, an expert in consumer and employee behavior, uses insights provided by eye-tracking studies to explain why certain images have such tremendous impact.
- Take 10: How to Put Your Business on the Map With Google PlacesReleased on 4/22/2011 with Janet Driscoll MillerIn this Take 10, search engine optimization expert Janet Driscoll Miller explains how to get your brick and mortar location into Google Places so that your business shows up the way you want it to in Google Web search results, mobile search results, and Google Maps.
- Take 10: Creating a YouTube Channel Page that Reflects Your BrandReleased on 12/3/2010 with Michael MillerTune in to this quick and dirty rundown of what it takes to customize your YouTube channel to match your brand, and be the envy of your competitors.
Advertising: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Facebook Success StoriesWhen it comes to social networking sites, Facebook boasts the most loyal visitors on the Web. So it's easy to see why successful brands are embracing it as a platform to connect with customers. Facebook Success Stories gives you the real scoop on how 21 companies, including Adobe and Dunkin' Donuts, are pushing the social media marketing envelope using Facebook's tools and apps.
- Benchmark Report : Marketing ROI (Year 2)This 2006 survey, the second annual ROI study, demonstrates that companies are definitely getting the ROI message. This study shows a significant increase in the number of companies that have implemented some form of Marketing ROI measurements. And let's face it, Marketing ROI is here to stay. Jim Lenskold says, "Marketing ROI will continue to be a priority as long as maximizing profits is a priority for corporations." Well said, Jim.
- Benchmark Survey: Marketing to HispanicsLink directly to the raw (aggregate) data in this 2006 survey of the ways companies are targeting their marketing efforts, and adjusting their business processes, for the lucrative Spanish-speaking segment. With access to the raw data, you can view the results, and even filter them to see how a subset of companies in your country or industry answered. In this way, you can interpret the data in the most meaningful way for your business.
- Benchmark Report: Marketing ROI (Year 1)In a 2005 survey, the first in an annual series, Jim Lenskold found that only 1 in 5 respondents was actually using ROI measures for marketing efforts -- 99% of those respondents indicate increased profitability due to the use of ROI. See this and subsequent reports for a full picture of the evolution of marketing ROI.