Digital Marketing: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
#SocialSkim: Snap's College Play, Facebook's Tinder Test, LinkedIn's ProFinder: 11 Stories This WeekChristian NeriSnapchat again courts college audience; Facebook tests a Tinder-like feature, to spend $1 billion on original programming for "Watch"; Twitter's new account-sharing feature; a year into LinkedIn ProFinder; Facebook's ad ...
The Content Structures, Processes, and Tools Most Used by MarketersAyaz NanjiMost marketers say their company has style guidelines in place for content, but less than half say their firm has developed more complex content structures such as a customer journey ...
The Most Important B2B Digital Marketing Trends and Stats of 2017 [Infographic]Laura ForerWhich social platforms work best for B2B marketing? How is the demographic of the B2B buyer changing? How are B2B marketers using content? Find out the answers and more in ...
Facebook Advertising Benchmarks for 2Q17Ayaz NanjiThe average clickthrough rate on Facebook ads increased significantly between the second quarter of 2016 and the second quarter of 2017, according to recent research from Nanigans.
#SocialSkim: Facebook's Big Weak Spot, LinkedIn Launches Video: 11 Stories This WeekChristian NeriYoung users may be ready to abandon Facebook; LinkedIn launches video upload, Reddit follows suit; Snapchat wants to transform news, and so does Facebook; Facebook algorithm to punish fake videos; ...
#SocialSkim: Facebook and Instagram Redesign, Amazon's Spark vs. Instagram and Pinterest: 10 Stories This WeekChristian NeriThis week: Facebook, Instagram aim for engagement with redesigns; all about Amazon's Spark social platform; LinkedIn's smart share options, a court case it lost, and its native video; Apple pushes ...
How to Use Data to Reach New and Existing Customers [Infographic]Laura ForerGot big questions about using data for marketing? Learn how to collect it, analyze it, and use it in a smart way. Check out today's infographic.
How Digital Ad Frequency Impacts Awareness and Purchase IntentAyaz NanjiExposing consumers to digital ad campaigns multiple times increases brand awareness and purchase intent, but the benefits diminish after a certain point, according to recent research from Nielsen.
The Challenges of Programmatic Advertising and How to Overcome Them [Infographic]Laura ForerToday's infographic explores three perils of programmatic ad buying and explains how to make sure your brand is safe, your ads are viewable, and your reputation is safe from fraudsters.
#SocialSkim: Facebook Launches Original Shows, Social Media Claims 3 Billion Users: 11 Stories This WeekChristian NeriSocial has 3 billion users (and other need-to-know stats); Facebook's original video push; LinkedIn expands partners program; a mobile messaging foray by YouTube; Google's Snapchat Discover competitor; Snapchat's powerful tool ...
Digital Marketing: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Customer Relationships, Digital Marketing, and eBay for Dummies: Marsha Collier on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneDigital marketing and e-commerce expert Marsha Collier, author of 32 books, including eBay for Dummies, discusses how to manage customer relationships across channels, why behavior is more important than demographics, and what marketers can learn from successful eBay sellers.
The Digital Marketer: Larry Weber and Lisa Henderson Talk to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneFrom native advertising and content strategy to how the C-Suite has evolved, Larry Weber and Lisa Henderson discuss what marketers need to know to stay relevant in their industry.
Social, Mobile, and the Future of Sports Marketing: Michelle Andres of the Baltimore Ravens Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMichelle Andres, vice-president of digital media for the Baltimore Ravens, explains how the organization rose to social media prominence in the NFL and turned its official website from a lonely afterthought into the online destination for fans.
Content, Customer-Centricity, and the Power of Data: Acxiom's Tim Suther on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThis week's guest on Marketing Smarts is Tim Suther, chief marketing and strategy officer for Acxiom, a firm that Tim referred to as "the original Big Data company"; FRONTLINE called it "one of the biggest companies you've never heard of."
How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantTesting your online campaigns, landing pages, forms, website, and so on can't be an every-now-and-again thing. Testing must be iterative and ongoing if it is to produce results. Which means, among other things, that your organization must institute a culture ...
Surrender to the Chaos of the Internet: The Atlantic's Bob Cohn on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThe Atlantic magazine has made a highly successful transition to the digital world. To understand what has led to its digital success and uncover what content marketers might learn from its example, I invited Bob Cohn, the magazine's digital editor, ...
A Passion for People: Intel's Ekaterina Walter Talks Entrepreneurial Success on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew Grant"All of us want to belong, and all of us really want to make an impact, and some of us... we invent Facebook," Ekaterina Walter, social media strategist at Intel and author of Think Like Zuck told me during this ...
Did You See That? EyeTrackShop's Jeff Bander Talks Eye Tracking on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBefore we can effectively communicate with our customers, we need to get their attention. According to Jeff Bander of EyeTrackShop, this means that when evaluating the effectiveness of our ads or calls-to-action or emails or whatever, we need to answer ...
Think Like a Producer, Not a Publisher: Andrew Davis on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantMarketers need to think and act more like executive producers, those people behind the scenes of movies and TV shows who spend all their time "trying to find the resources to create the right kind of content for the right ...
Satire, Politics, and Marketing Fake News: Baratunde Thurston on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantStand-up comic, author of How to Be Black, and former director of digital at The Onion, Baratunde Thurston has a lethal sense of humor—and an uncanny ability to meld business sense and humor to both build an online audience and ...
Digital Marketing: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Artificial Intelligence for Marketing: Getting StartedBroadcast on 9/21/2017 with Jim SterneIn this Teach Me How seminar, you'll learn about artificial intelligence and its useful features, including natural language processing and speech recognition. You'll discover the power of machine learning and understand how to make the most of these technologies to deliver better data insights, customer experience, and more.
- Why 'Always Be Testing' Is Wrong for Your BusinessBroadcast on 8/18/2016 with Justin RondeauIn this PRO seminar, we'll discuss why the 'test everything' mentality is wrong and potentially dangerous for your company. We'll share why split testing, one of the most used CRO tools, is not the be-all end-all of optimization, and cover when it's appropriate to test and when it's not. You'll leave with best practices you can leverage and apply to your campaigns and landing pages.
- Digital Trends for 2017: What You Need to Know NowBroadcast on 8/11/2016 with Mike CorakIn this PRO seminar, we'll share the top digital trends that will deliver today and into the future. We'll walk through the best of what's ahead while gaining insight and tips for real-world application in digital communications, roadmap creation, and most importantly, performance optimization. We'll expose false predictions and shine a light on the trends you shouldn't ignore. You'll leave with the knowledge and actionable information you need to succeed in digital marketing in 2017.
- The Broken Promise of Digital: Making the Customer the Center of What We DoBroadcast on 7/14/2016 with Scott MontyIn this PRO seminar, we'll share the pitfalls of getting lured into the same old same old, and give you new ideas to execute a customer-centric strategy. From listening, to understanding motivations and preferences, to the fundamentals of creating engaging content, you'll learn the importance of building trust and capturing attention regardless of the platform. We'll show you how to put humanity back into digital marketing!
- Marketing to Today's Bionic BuyerBroadcast on 6/9/2016 with Kristin ZhivagoIn this PRO seminar, we'll share how to effectively reach consumers and the tools you need to make yourself invincible. You'll leave with an understanding of the current buyer environment and the know-how to set up your marketing so that no matter how your prospect finds you—or where they are in the sales funnel—you're in sync and ready to meet their needs.
- Social Media and SEO: Tips for Successful IntegrationBroadcast on 10/29/2015 with Cynthia JohnsonDuring this PRO seminar, we'll show you how to integrate social media into your digital marketing efforts and make it work for your SEO strategy. You'll learn which KPIs you should focus on the most and tactics to track and measure your efforts. We'll also discuss the important factors to take into account when applying these principles to mobile.
- Creating Trustworthy ContentBroadcast on 10/1/2015 with Gerry McGovernIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to create an online customer experience that's based on trust. You'll walk away knowing how to create trustworthy content and armed with a solid understanding of guidelines for creating no-fluff content that your customers will use and believe in.
- MarketingProfs University: SEO—How Customer Experience Impacts SearchBroadcast on 8/13/2015 with Casie GilletteIn this PRO seminar and kickoff class of MarketingProfs University's Search Marketing School, we'll cover the most important elements and key changes in customer search behavior as well as how to drive conversations through SEO, content, and social media.
- How to Build Your Podcast BrandBroadcast on 7/23/2015 with Nick WestergaardIn this PRO seminar, we'll walk you through how to get started in podcasting—from understanding its current state to the mechanics and equipment needed to begin. You'll learn how to develop a podcast that both aligns with your brand promise and engages your audience. We'll also share techniques on how to turn your current listeners into brand advocates, and you'll walk away with actionable tips you can start using right away to take your podcast from good to great.
- How to Use Google Analytics' Secret Data to Improve Your Search and Social CampaignsBroadcast on 3/6/2014 with Jeff SauerIn this PRO seminar, we'll open the door to the treasure trove of information available to you within Google Analytics. You'll walk away with several actionable tips you can use to measure and improve your search and social campaigns.
Digital Marketing: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Develop an Effective PodcastReleased on 1/22/2016 with Bob KnorppIn just 10 minutes, the creator of one of today's most successful B2B podcasts will break down the process of creating a program that provides your listeners with content they'll be eager to hear and achieves your business objectives. We'll also share expert tips on script development, the importance of consistency, and how to prepare your guests for a more interesting conversation.
- Take 10: Four Ways to Increase Your Email Clickthrough RatesReleased on 1/8/2016 with Stephan HovnanianIn just 10 minutes, we'll cover four design and copy techniques that will get your subscribers to take action. We'll also show you how to measure the lift they give your campaigns.
- Take 10: Digital Marketing Is a Circle of TrustReleased on 6/12/2015 with Jon-Mikel BaileyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create utility content—content that serves a purpose or solves a problem—and how this helps drive qualified traffic. In addition, we'll share insight on paid, owned, and earned media, how to use it to keep you in the circle of trust, and how to make it work to your advantage.
- Take 10: Three Tricks to Create Killer Pay-per-Click Ad CopyReleased on 3/20/2015 with Courtney HerdaIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn three tips that will help you create killer ad copy. Whether your PPC account is small or enterprise-level, these tricks are designed to help you optimize your ad performance and reach your marketing goals.
- Take 10: Strategic Resources to Better Manage Your Social MarketingReleased on 1/23/2015 with Guy PowellIn just 10 minutes, we'll show you how to overcome common social marketing challenges (such as not having enough time, budget, or staff) and provide you with key dashboard dimensions, including how to set up specific improvement objectives and how to track your progress to improve your social marketing efforts.
- Take 10: The 10 Web Marketing Areas You Need to Focus on NowReleased on 1/9/2015 with Stoney deGeyterIn just 10 minutes, we'll identify the top 10 online marketing areas you should be focusing on, and provide you with three action items for each. With your top 10 list and actionable to-dos in hand, you can eliminate the less impactful projects, and hone your time, money, and energy on what really matters and gives you the best ROI.
- Take 10: How to Gain More Search Visibility From Blog PostsReleased on 11/14/2014 with Lorrie Thomas RossIn just 10 minutes, we'll share how you can optimize your blog for search with easy architectural tactics and tools. Plus, you'll learn simple steps that you can add into your blogging routine to give your content more SEO power.
- Take 10: Six Keys to Creating a Successful Direct Mail Campaign PlanReleased on 8/8/2014 with Keith GoodmanIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn six key points to address when developing a direct mail campaign plan. You'll walk away with the tactical tips and tools you need to increase your campaign's efficiency and effectiveness.
- Take 10: The Four Most Important Reports in Google AnalyticsReleased on 6/13/2014 with Peter PlattIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn which reports are most important, and how to use this information to assist you in future campaigns. You'll walk away with a better understanding of Google Analytics, and how to get the most out of your metrics and reporting.
- Take 10: Key Tips to Consider When Creating a Digital StrategyReleased on 12/6/2013 with Allen WeissIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss why a comprehensive digital strategy is different than just implementing digital tactics.
Digital Marketing: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Email Essentials: Chief Strategies for Maximizing Click RatesThis 32-page guide will teach you how to optimize your email efforts to maximize your clickthrough rates. You'll walk away ready to tackle your next email campaign!
- Website Metrics: What to Measure and How to ImproveIn this 27-page guide, you'll learn how to focus on the website data that matters most when you're intent on getting the most from your website—specifically, that which concerns website traffic, the visitor journey, visitor engagement, and conversions. It covers the various metrics to track in order to assess your website's performance in these areas and offers actionable tips for improving those results.
- Slowpoke's Guide to Digital MarketingFeel like the digital marketing race began without you? Don't worry—you can still catch up to the social media superstars. The Slowpoke's Guide to Digital Marketing puts rocket fuel in your engine to propel your digital marketing campaigns.
- The Obama Playbook: How Digital Marketing and Social Media Won the ElectionWant to create a veritable army of customer-advocates to champion your brand? The Obama Playbook: How Digital Marketing and Social Media Won the Election shows you how the Obama campaign masterfully used new media to build awareness, engage prospects, and start a movement. It takes you step-by-step through the new media strategies of the campaign and provides actionable guidance on how you can modify each to benefit your business. Both entertaining and useful, it's an invaluable resource for the savvy marketer who wants to take full advantage of the amazing powers of new media.
- Benchmark Research: Marketing in the Economic CrisisThese economic times have everyone concerned and asking, "How does this effect marketing?". Well we surveyed our very own members to help give marketers a sense of how others are dealing and adapting to these tough times.