Brand Positioning: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
What Emotionally Connects Consumers to Brands?Ayaz NanjiConsumers say they feel most emotionally connected with a brand that come across as caring about people like themselves, according to recent research from CustomerThermometer.
Are Ads Adjacent to Offensive Content Viewed as Endorsing That Content?Ayaz NanjiNearly one-third of Americans think ads adjacent to offensive online content imply that the advertiser endorses or approves of that offensive material, according to recent research from YouGov.
Which Brands and Social Networks Do Teens Think Are Cool?Ayaz NanjiUS teenagers age 13-17 (Gen Z) say YouTube and Netflix are the coolest brands, according to recent research from Think With Google.
How to Apply Neuromarketing Principles to Improve Marketing Effectiveness (Part 2 of 2)Lawson AbinantiPart 1 examined stimuli that get the attention of the decision-making portion of the brain. Part 2 explains how specific tactics appeal to the brain and improve the effectiveness of ...
Improve Your Marketing Communications With Insights From Neuromarketing (Part 1 of 2)Lawson AbinantiTo ensure your marketing communications engage and convince your audiences, you'll need to understand how the human mind works. These are the six characteristics of the decision-making part of the ...
Which Emotions Are Associated With Good (and Bad) Brand Experiences?Ayaz NanjiSatisfaction is the emotion consumers most associate with positive brand experiences, according to recent research from InMoment.
The 20 Most 'Simple' BrandsAyaz NanjiConsumers in the United States say Google and Netflix are the most "simple" brands, according to recent research from Siegel+Gale.
Do Consumers Care More About Businesses' Competence or Morality?Ayaz NanjiConsumers generally value competence more than morality when choosing between service providers, but the effect is weakened if the less competent provider is seen as an underdog, according to recent ...
Five Ways to Compete Against Low-Price CompetitorsLaura PattersonAll of us face a low-cost or low-price competitor at one time or another. The solution isn't to lower your prices and engage in a price war; that just means ...
'Enriching Benefits': Why Consumers Love Brands That Make Them Feel Like Good PeopleDebbie MacInnis, C.W. Park"Enriching benefits" have a strong influence on how much consumers admire a brand. Such benefits inspire consumers, moving them to action and engendering loyalty toward the brand.
Brand Positioning: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Revitalizing a 150-Year-Old Brand: Simon Perkins of The Orvis Company on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSimon Perkins, director of brand marketing at The Orvis Company, tells the story of how the oldest mail-order retailer in the United States evolved into an international outdoor lifestyle retailer with more than $340 million in annual sales.
Enterprise Branding, Corporate Missions, and Women in Leadership: Alicia Tillman and Lisa Skeete Tatum Talk to Marketing Smarts at SAP Ariba LIVE [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAlicia Tillman, chief marketing officer of SAP Ariba, and Lisa Skeete Tatum, co-founder and chief executive officer of Landit, discuss enterprise branding, the importance of embracing a corporate mission, and women in leadership positions.
Solve the Mystery of Why People Buy: 'Brand Seduction' Author Weber on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneBranding consultant and former Global Director of Creative Strategy at Coca-Cola Daryl Weber shares insights from his book, Brand Seduction: How Neuroscience Can Help Marketers Build Memorable Brands, and offers tips on how to forge emotional connections with your audience.
'Name That Brand': Naming Expert Mike Pile on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneA brand's name can make or break a business. Naming expert Mike Pile of Uppercase Branding shares his secrets for winning the high-stakes name game.
Mastering 'The Physics of Brand': Dan Wallace, Aaron Keller, and Renee Marino on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneThe co-authors of The Physics of Brand share insights from the book on building a valuable brand. Authors and marketing experts Dan Wallace, Aaron Keller, and Renee Marino discuss who drives the majority of buying decisions, how you can connect ...
Brand Engagement for B2B: Avenue CEO Bob Domenz on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAvenue CEO Bob Domenz discusses brand activation and engagement for B2B organizations.
How to Pull Off a B2B Rebrand While Growing Sales and Fighting Slavery: CMO Alicia Tillman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSAP Ariba CMO Alicia Tillman discusses the company's rebranding campaign and commitment to ending forced labor throughout the supply chain, and how B2B buyers and B2C buyers are not so different.
Tell Your Brand Story in Just Six Seconds: Bill Fasig on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneCan you tell your brand story in six seconds? Because that's all today's consumer will give you. Bill Fasig of TopRight Partners shares the consultancy's process for distilling a complex narrative into a six-second story.
You Don't Market, You Create Reactions: Jon Taffer of Spike TV's 'Bar Rescue' on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneJon Taffer, host of Spike TV's "Bar Rescue," rocks Marketing Smarts, sharing insights about branding and promotion based on his 30 years of experience making bars and restaurants profitable.
15 Years of MarketingProfs: Founder Allen Weiss Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMarketingProfs founder Allen Weiss shares the story of how he founded the company, how it's evolved over the past 15 years, and what role mindfulness plays in effective marketing.
Brand Positioning: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Building and Unleashing Your Personal Brand in the Digital AgeBroadcast on 3/30/2017 with Mark W. SchaeferIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the secrets to professionally standing out based on acclaimed author and speaker Mark Schaefer's new book, KNOWN: The Handbook for Building and Unleashing Your Personal Brand in the Digital Age. You'll learn how to approach your Web presence so you can create the proper authority, reputation, and audience to realize your potential and achieve your goals, whatever they might be.
- What's in It for Me? How to Create a Customer-Centric Product MessageBroadcast on 2/9/2017 with Lawson AbinantiIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the two most important factors in developing a compelling message strategy for your product or company—the uniqueness of your offer and whether it solves your target audience's most pressing problem. You'll walk away with an action plan that will connect your message with your customer every time.
- Amplify Your Marketing With Brand MetaphorsBroadcast on 3/17/2016 with Jeremy MillerIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to amplify your marketing using brand metaphors. We'll walk you through seven archetypal metaphors that span across countries, cultures, languages, and dialects. You'll also learn a step-by-step process to discovering your ideal brand metaphor and how to use it to engage and persuade your audience.
- Discover and Tell Your Business StoryBroadcast on 10/15/2015 with Ron PloofIn this PRO seminar, business storyteller Ron Ploof will explain how to discover and tell your business story. He'll share how to transform messages into compelling narratives that persuade audiences to take action, whether it's buying your product, adopting a new concept, or changing their behavior.
- Words That Stick: How to Make Your Brand GoogleableBroadcast on 8/6/2015 with Jeremy MillerIn this PRO seminar, we'll explain why you need simple clarity, how to achieve it, and most importantly, how to apply it to your brand to boost sales. You'll learn how to succinctly describe what makes your brand unique, and give your brand credibility by speaking about it with authority.
- How to Build Your Podcast BrandBroadcast on 7/23/2015 with Nick WestergaardIn this PRO seminar, we'll walk you through how to get started in podcasting—from understanding its current state to the mechanics and equipment needed to begin. You'll learn how to develop a podcast that both aligns with your brand promise and engages your audience. We'll also share techniques on how to turn your current listeners into brand advocates, and you'll walk away with actionable tips you can start using right away to take your podcast from good to great.
- MarketingProfs University: The Ultimate Recipe for a Great Brand StoryBroadcast on 6/11/2015 with Meg TrippIn this PRO seminar, we'll guide you through the brand storytelling tips, tools, and techniques you'll need to create something your audience can't resist—and that they won't get tired of sharing.
- How to Integrate Your Brand's Story Into Your Marketing ArsenalBroadcast on 2/5/2015 with Jennifer KaneIn this PRO seminar, we'll move beyond the hype of storytelling and share the essential components of all good stories. You'll receive hands-on, practical advice on what to do after your story is developed and how to strategically weave it into your content marketing plan. We'll also discuss best practices on how to publish and distribute your story to increase audience engagement and improve your ROI.
- Brand Yourself: Busting the Nine-Second BarrierBroadcast on 3/14/2013 with KiKi L'ItalienThis PRO seminar will teach you how to establish a cohesive personal brand, have better personal relationships, and live the life you were meant to live.
- How to Become a Trusted Brand and Industry LeaderBroadcast on 1/17/2013 with John MorganIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to position your brand as a go-to authority in your industry. We'll discuss how to increase your visibility and explore the critical difference between marketing and branding (and how an understanding of that difference can help you).
Brand Positioning: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Build a Scrappy Brand BlueprintReleased on 7/22/2016 with Nick WestergaardIn just 10 minutes, we'll show you how to build a five-part blueprint you can use to grow your brand's presence on any budget. You'll leave with actionable steps to create a clear and consistent brand experience across all channels.
- Take 10: How to Successfully Describe Your ServicesReleased on 10/23/2015 with Gillian ValleeIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to craft a top-notch services description that can help you win more business.
- Take 10: How to Name Your BrandReleased on 9/4/2015 with Jeremy MillerIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss how to choose a brand name that resonates with your customers. We'll walk you through the four types of names and the elements that make them sticky, as well as teach you how to evaluate your company and product names against the competition.
- Take 10: Five Ways to Refresh Your Website (Without Spending a Fortune!)Released on 2/6/2015 with Sherice JacobIn just 10 minutes, we'll share five simple tips to improve and refresh your website. You'll be able to makeover your website so that it looks current, loads faster, and increases your search engine optimization ranking—without wasting your time and money.
- Take 10: How to Create an Emotional Connection with a CustomerReleased on 5/9/2014 with Christine M. BarneyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn three easy steps to determine the type of brand you are, build your brand's reputation, and tune in to your customers' needs. Armed with this knowledge, you'll guarantee the customer experience matches the brand promise and turn fence-sitters into evangelists.
- Take 10: Craft the Perfect Call to ActionReleased on 12/13/2013 with Lois BrayfieldIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to strategically create a call to action your customers will care about and will pay attention to.
- Take 10: Striking The Balance Between Merchandising and Branding for Your Ecommerce WebsiteReleased on 6/7/2013 with Brent NiemuthIn just 10 minutes, learn how to appeal to basic human instincts and create an online experience that will delight anyone who visits your site while encouraging sales.
- Take 10: How to Build a Socially Savvy BrandReleased on 2/15/2013 with Heidi CohenIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to define all aspects of your brand, from colors to images, sound, video, the tangible and intangible elements, and more.
- Take 10: Six Ways to Turn Your Brand Into Eye Candy for Your ConsumersReleased on 6/1/2012 with Nick WestergaardIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to proactively prepare your brand for this social visual revolution and ensure that you have a sexy and cohesive brand image that's ready for consumption by your audience.
- Take 10: Four Ways to Monetize Local Daily DealsReleased on 5/18/2012 with Amy FowlerJust like everything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to add daily deals into your marketing mix. In just 10 minutes, you'll learn the right way to make daily deals lucrative for your business.
Brand Positioning: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- The Three Cs of Successful PositioningIn this 15-page guide, you'll learn how to research the three Cs, their importance, and their impact on the positioning process. Just as positioning is the foundation for successful marketing, understanding the three Cs is the foundation for a positioning strategy that will set you apart from your competitors.