Brand Positioning: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Three Paths for Surging Ahead of the CompetitionEllie MirmanMarket leaders often take one of three paths to beat the competition. See which strategy can work best for your brand.
'Don't Chase the New, Innovate the Old': Four Lessons From NikeSoon YuInnovating existing products and services rather than chasing the shiny and new is a smart use of resources and energy. And it has a far higher chance of success. It ...
Before Building Brand Awareness, You Need to Assess Brand Value. Here's How to Do Both.Dara TresederImagine you're tasked with planning a trip. Now imagine trying to do that without knowing the trip's starting point... Tough, right? It's the same with a brand-awareness campaign. You won't ...
How to Maintain Brand Authenticity in Today's Politically Polarized ClimateBrandon LewisTo pick a side or not to pick a side? That is the question plaguing many brands in today's politically polarized environment. Pick a side, and you risk potentially losing ...
Three Takeaways for Marketers From the Repositioning of Brand Taylor SwiftKatie L. FettingMany of us in marketing recognize that Taylor Swift is a cunning, calculated positioning savant, and the new, edgy, and angry Taylor is nothing but a brand refresh. Here are ...
The 10 Most Relevant Brands With US ConsumersAyaz NanjiConsumers in the United States say Apple, Google, and Amazon are the most "relevant" brands, according to recent research from Prophet.
Innovation Is Not the Key to Success, Reinvention IsRoger CusaMany marketers, business owners, and entrepreneurs think innovation is synonymous with invention—and that to move the needle, we need to come up with a shiny new product, market, or idea. ...
11 Powerful Approaches to Marketing Highly Unsexy ProductsRishi MedhiThe appeal of some products is obvious; they practically sell themselves. Other, "boring" products? Not so much... There is hope, though. Here are 11 powerful ways to market products that, ...
Embrace the Squirrel: How to Achieve Genuine Breakthroughs in Your Communications EffectivenessTim PollardCommunication matters. In organizations without effective communication, leaders can't lead, products don't sell, and projects don't get funded. Which presents a paradox: if it's that important, why does most communication ...
Four Steps to a Compelling Brand Story That Wins Over CustomersCourtney AppsWhen a brand story is crafted correctly, consumers will be proud to associate with and represent your brand, and they will market it of their own volition via word-of-mouth.
Brand Positioning: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Brand Value, Marketing Humor, and Team Diversity: Dara Treseder of GE on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneThe CMO of GE Business Innovations & GE Ventures discusses branding and demand generation, the role of emotions and data in powering your marketing, the importance of a diverse marketing team, and building and measuring brand value.
How to Become a Merchandising Rock Star: Andrea Syverson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneBranding and merchandising expert Andrea Syverson explains how brands can become merchandising rock stars, how B2B and B2C brands alike can use merchandising to address customer pain points, and how "verbifying" your brand can help you to focus your marketing ...
Revitalizing a 150-Year-Old Brand: Simon Perkins of The Orvis Company on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSimon Perkins, director of brand marketing at The Orvis Company, tells the story of how the oldest mail-order retailer in the United States evolved into an international outdoor lifestyle retailer with more than $340 million in annual sales.
Enterprise Branding, Corporate Missions, and Women in Leadership: Alicia Tillman and Lisa Skeete Tatum Talk to Marketing Smarts at SAP Ariba LIVE [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAlicia Tillman, chief marketing officer of SAP Ariba, and Lisa Skeete Tatum, co-founder and chief executive officer of Landit, discuss enterprise branding, the importance of embracing a corporate mission, and women in leadership positions.
Solve the Mystery of Why People Buy: 'Brand Seduction' Author Weber on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneBranding consultant and former Global Director of Creative Strategy at Coca-Cola Daryl Weber shares insights from his book, Brand Seduction: How Neuroscience Can Help Marketers Build Memorable Brands, and offers tips on how to forge emotional connections with your audience.
'Name That Brand': Naming Expert Mike Pile on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneA brand's name can make or break a business. Naming expert Mike Pile of Uppercase Branding shares his secrets for winning the high-stakes name game.
Mastering 'The Physics of Brand': Dan Wallace, Aaron Keller, and Renee Marino on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneThe co-authors of The Physics of Brand share insights from the book on building a valuable brand. Authors and marketing experts Dan Wallace, Aaron Keller, and Renee Marino discuss who drives the majority of buying decisions, how you can connect ...
Brand Engagement for B2B: Avenue CEO Bob Domenz on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAvenue CEO Bob Domenz discusses brand activation and engagement for B2B organizations.
How to Pull Off a B2B Rebrand While Growing Sales and Fighting Slavery: CMO Alicia Tillman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSAP Ariba CMO Alicia Tillman discusses the company's rebranding campaign and commitment to ending forced labor throughout the supply chain, and how B2B buyers and B2C buyers are not so different.
Tell Your Brand Story in Just Six Seconds: Bill Fasig on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneCan you tell your brand story in six seconds? Because that's all today's consumer will give you. Bill Fasig of TopRight Partners shares the consultancy's process for distilling a complex narrative into a six-second story.
Brand Positioning: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Why Building a Brand Is the Single Best Investment You Can Make to Grow Your BusinessBroadcast on 6/12/2018 with Dave GerhardtThe game has changed, and that's exactly why you have to focus on building a brand to make real headway. Join us for Why Building a Brand is the Single Best Investment You Can Make to Grow Your Business for lessons from Patagonia, RXBAR, Casey Neistat, and GaryVee. Building your brand is the most effective way to drive demand, and it's how you will compete in a world of infinite supply. Sponsored by Drift
- A PR Primer for Marketers: Five Steps to Bigger BuzzBroadcast on 5/17/2018 with Katelyn HolbrookIn this Teach Me How seminar, you'll learn about five simple, yet effective, ways to drive positive media coverage, establish thought leadership, and build brand buzz. You'll get practical advice on how to deploy public relations tactics in your organization and see real-world case studies that demonstrate how other brands have succeeded with PR.
- Digital Breadcrumbs: Storytelling That Connects and Converts Across PlatformsBroadcast on 1/18/2018 with Carla JohnsonIn this Teach Me How seminar, discover the magic to storytelling in a digital world that inspires people to take action across channels. You'll learn five secrets that the most successful brands use to create cohesive narratives and how to tell stories that shift your content from noisy to necessary. You'll leave ready to create seamless, connected tales that inspire your audience to follow your trail to greater engagement and more conversions.
- Building and Unleashing Your Personal Brand in the Digital AgeBroadcast on 3/30/2017 with Mark W. SchaeferIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the secrets to professionally standing out based on acclaimed author and speaker Mark Schaefer's new book, KNOWN: The Handbook for Building and Unleashing Your Personal Brand in the Digital Age. You'll learn how to approach your Web presence so you can create the proper authority, reputation, and audience to realize your potential and achieve your goals, whatever they might be.
- What's in It for Me? How to Create a Customer-Centric Product MessageBroadcast on 2/9/2017 with Lawson AbinantiIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the two most important factors in developing a compelling message strategy for your product or company—the uniqueness of your offer and whether it solves your target audience's most pressing problem. You'll walk away with an action plan that will connect your message with your customer every time.
- Amplify Your Marketing With Brand MetaphorsBroadcast on 3/17/2016 with Jeremy MillerIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to amplify your marketing using brand metaphors. We'll walk you through seven archetypal metaphors that span across countries, cultures, languages, and dialects. You'll also learn a step-by-step process to discovering your ideal brand metaphor and how to use it to engage and persuade your audience.
- Discover and Tell Your Business StoryBroadcast on 10/15/2015 with Ron PloofIn this PRO seminar, business storyteller Ron Ploof will explain how to discover and tell your business story. He'll share how to transform messages into compelling narratives that persuade audiences to take action, whether it's buying your product, adopting a new concept, or changing their behavior.
- Words That Stick: How to Make Your Brand GoogleableBroadcast on 8/6/2015 with Jeremy MillerIn this PRO seminar, we'll explain why you need simple clarity, how to achieve it, and most importantly, how to apply it to your brand to boost sales. You'll learn how to succinctly describe what makes your brand unique, and give your brand credibility by speaking about it with authority.
- How to Build Your Podcast BrandBroadcast on 7/23/2015 with Nick WestergaardIn this PRO seminar, we'll walk you through how to get started in podcasting—from understanding its current state to the mechanics and equipment needed to begin. You'll learn how to develop a podcast that both aligns with your brand promise and engages your audience. We'll also share techniques on how to turn your current listeners into brand advocates, and you'll walk away with actionable tips you can start using right away to take your podcast from good to great.
- MarketingProfs University: The Ultimate Recipe for a Great Brand StoryBroadcast on 6/11/2015 with Meg TrippIn this PRO seminar, we'll guide you through the brand storytelling tips, tools, and techniques you'll need to create something your audience can't resist—and that they won't get tired of sharing.
Brand Positioning: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Build a Scrappy Brand BlueprintReleased on 7/22/2016 with Nick WestergaardIn just 10 minutes, we'll show you how to build a five-part blueprint you can use to grow your brand's presence on any budget. You'll leave with actionable steps to create a clear and consistent brand experience across all channels.
- Take 10: How to Successfully Describe Your ServicesReleased on 10/23/2015 with Gillian ValleeIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to craft a top-notch services description that can help you win more business.
- Take 10: How to Name Your BrandReleased on 9/4/2015 with Jeremy MillerIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss how to choose a brand name that resonates with your customers. We'll walk you through the four types of names and the elements that make them sticky, as well as teach you how to evaluate your company and product names against the competition.
- Take 10: Five Ways to Refresh Your Website (Without Spending a Fortune!)Released on 2/6/2015 with Sherice JacobIn just 10 minutes, we'll share five simple tips to improve and refresh your website. You'll be able to makeover your website so that it looks current, loads faster, and increases your search engine optimization ranking—without wasting your time and money.
- Take 10: How to Create an Emotional Connection with a CustomerReleased on 5/9/2014 with Christine M. BarneyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn three easy steps to determine the type of brand you are, build your brand's reputation, and tune in to your customers' needs. Armed with this knowledge, you'll guarantee the customer experience matches the brand promise and turn fence-sitters into evangelists.
- Take 10: Craft the Perfect Call to ActionReleased on 12/13/2013 with Lois BrayfieldIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to strategically create a call to action your customers will care about and will pay attention to.
- Take 10: Striking The Balance Between Merchandising and Branding for Your Ecommerce WebsiteReleased on 6/7/2013 with Brent NiemuthIn just 10 minutes, learn how to appeal to basic human instincts and create an online experience that will delight anyone who visits your site while encouraging sales.
- Take 10: How to Build a Socially Savvy BrandReleased on 2/15/2013 with Heidi CohenIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to define all aspects of your brand, from colors to images, sound, video, the tangible and intangible elements, and more.
- Take 10: Six Ways to Turn Your Brand Into Eye Candy for Your ConsumersReleased on 6/1/2012 with Nick WestergaardIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to proactively prepare your brand for this social visual revolution and ensure that you have a sexy and cohesive brand image that's ready for consumption by your audience.
- Take 10: Four Ways to Monetize Local Daily DealsReleased on 5/18/2012 with Amy FowlerJust like everything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to add daily deals into your marketing mix. In just 10 minutes, you'll learn the right way to make daily deals lucrative for your business.
Brand Positioning: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- The Three Cs of Successful PositioningIn this 15-page guide, you'll learn how to research the three Cs, their importance, and their impact on the positioning process. Just as positioning is the foundation for successful marketing, understanding the three Cs is the foundation for a positioning strategy that will set you apart from your competitors.