Management: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Learn From Google: The Five Traits of Successful Teams at GoogleAyaz NanjiWhat makes a team effective at Google? Which qualities set successful groups apart from other groups in the company? See what Google discovered about its best teams.
The Most Common Marketing Organizational StructuresAyaz NanjiWhat are the most used marketing organizational structures? How do these approaches correlate to revenue growth?
The Power of Employee Social Media Advocacy [Infographic]Laura ForerToday's infographic explains how companies can work with some of their biggest advocates and influencers—their own employees—to help Marketing reach new audiences through employee social media advocacy.
Four Essential Success Factors for Transforming Marketing Into a Center of ExcellenceLaura PattersonSome marketing organizations excel at marketing performance management and, as a result, achieve better growth for their companies. How? They operate Marketing as a center of excellence (CoE). Here's how ...
2018 Marketing Salary Guide: Pay Forecasts for Brand and Agency PositionsAyaz NanjiThe median starting salary for a corporate chief marketing officer (CMO) in the United States is expected to be $164,000 in 2018, according to recent research from The Creative Group.
Valuable Employee-Recognition Tips [Infographic]Laura ForerAll employees want to be recognized for their good work, but 49% of them say they are dissatisfied with that aspect of their jobs. Managers should take note: Happy employees ...
The Top Workplace Productivity Killers, Email Mistakes, and Overused BuzzwordsAyaz NanjiEnterprise workers say wasteful meetings and excessive emails top are the productivity killers at their jobs, according to recent research from Workfront.
17 Tools Your Marketing Cannot Do Without in 2017Guy SheetritWhat marketing tools should your company be using right now? Here are 17 for 2017—some new, some tried and true, all totally useful.
Three Key Components of Effective Marketing and Content CalendarsGarrett MoonIf your marketing calendar is a cobbled-together spreadsheet, be prepared for a content-related nightmare. To maximize your marketing calendar's effectiveness, make sure these three components are in place.
The Merging of Marketing and Human Resources [Infographic]Laura ForerMarketers are always looking to shed the best possible light on their brands, but what if your brand were truly a reflection of your company's culture? That's the premise behind ...
Management: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
The Fallacy of First-Mover Advantage: Ryan Holmes of Hootsuite on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneHootsuite founder and CEO Ryan Holmes talks about why the "first-mover advantage" isn't really a thing, how he launched his business, why companies should promote employee health, and more.
Team-Building Fun and Games: Kevin Cloutier on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneKevin Cloutier talks about how his experience creating games for reality TV shows, including "Survivor," inspired him to start team-building events company Feet First Eventertainment with his brother, Dave.
Everything Is Marketing and Marketing Is Everything: Michael Brenner on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMarketing strategist, author, and MarketingProfs B2B Forum speaker Michael Brenner discusses employer marketing—the importance of HR for marketing success and the rise of "champion leaders."
Backlinks, Hiring Tips, and Building a Business Overseas: Kris Reid on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSearch engine optimization expert Kris Reid shares tips for optimizing content and unconventional approaches for hiring talent. He also discusses how (and why) to build a business overseas.
Innovate in the Boardroom (and the Mail Room): Christopher S. Penn on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneChristopher S. Penn, vice-president of marketing technology at Shift Communications and author of Leading Innovation, discusses why innovation will make or break your organization, and shares tips for making innovation happen at your company.
How B2B Brands Can Rock Social: B2B Marketing Forum Speaker Eric T. Tung on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneB2B Marketing Forum speaker Eric T. Tung discusses social media for B2B organizations, including why executives need to join their employees in the social space.
Focus, Leadership, and Squirrels: Think Big, Act Bigger Author Jeffrey Hayzlett on the 200th Episode of Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneTV host, author, and business celebrity Jeffrey Hayzlett shares insights from his latest book, Think Big, Act Bigger: The Rewards of Being Relentless.
The Secret to Sales Success: Jill Konrath and Donal Daly on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneBestselling authors Jill Konrath (Selling to Big Companies) and Donal Daly (Account Planning in Salesforce) explain how sales managers can set their teams up to succeed in the era of modern, customer-centric marketing.
Forget Experience: Hire for Talent! Mike Goldman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneConsultant and author Mike Goldman ("Performance Breakthrough: The 4 Secrets of Passionate Organizations") explains how to enhance your company's performance by hiring for natural talent and core values and creating the right culture for success.
Hunting for Unicorns: Preact's Mike Saldi Talks Hiring on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMike Saldi, formerly of Salesforce.com, now chief customer officer at software company Preact, shares secrets for spotting which applicants are most likely to rock that job you're hiring for.
Management: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- 10 Marketing Hacks to Deliver Work On-Time, Every TimeBroadcast on 10/11/2017 with Jess Ostroff, Nick ScholzJoin us for this free seminar to learn a few small changes can lead to more creative bandwidth and on-time, high-quality results. Sponsored by Workfront
- MarketingProfs University: Time Management BootcampBroadcast on 3/2/2017 with Eva RykrsmithIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to prioritize tasks and create maximum customer value through the application of quality management principles. You'll discover how to consistently make high-value decisions about where, when, and how to invest your attention, energy, and resources to achieve success for both you and your customer.
- Apply an Agile Approach to Your MarketingBroadcast on 5/12/2016 with Jim EwelIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to address two of the most critical tasks in agile marketing. Agile marketing expert Jim Ewel will discuss how to get you into the mind of the customer and understand what they are trying to accomplish—and why.
- MarketingProfs University: High-Performance MarketingBroadcast on 3/10/2016 with David NewberryIn this PRO seminar, we'll introduce the principles of agile methodology and lean manufacturing, and explain why these matter not only to manufacturers, but also to knowledge-based functions like marketing. You'll see how these principles can be applied to create a high-performance team. We'll also walk you through practical ways to apply these techniques in a day-to-day working environment.
- The Remarkables: How to Win with Word-of-Mouth MarketingBroadcast on 10/24/2013 with Julie Szabo, Darren BarefootIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn what makes up a remarkable campaign and what role of word-of-mouth plays in campaign creation and success.
- Key Digital Trend Currents That Are Shaping BusinessBroadcast on 8/22/2013 with Steve WoodruffIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn that it's important to look beyond current trends (such as the latest hot platform) to trend currents—those inevitable, inexorable forces that are shaping the world of business and communications.
- The NEW New Rules of Marketing and PR for 2013Broadcast on 7/25/2013 with David Meerman ScottDavid Meerman Scott, author of the internationally best-selling book, The New Rules of Marketing & PR, will share what's NEW with the New Rules in this PRO seminar.
- Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life.Broadcast on 7/11/2013 with Mitch JoelIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn why it's important to reboot and rebuild your business model now and how you can prepare for and adapt to whatever might come next.
- Using Market Frameworks to Analyze Your CompetitionBroadcast on 2/21/2013 with Sean CampbellIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to use market frameworks to understand your market and analyze your competition, understand your own strengths, and uncover weaknesses you may not even know you have.
- How to Use Agile Marketing to Get Measurable ResultsBroadcast on 1/24/2013 with Jim Ewel, Bob CanawayThis PRO seminar will offer busy marketers a new way of doing their jobs that puts the focus on the customer experience and buyer's decision-making process while increasing ROI.
Management: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Hire, Outsource, or DIY—How to Assess Your Marketing NeedsReleased on 1/30/2015 with Christina IngeIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to determine which projects you can DIY, and which projects you should outsource or hire a contractor to handle. We'll discuss the pros and cons of outsourcing, how to decide when to use it versus using in-house personnel, and how to communicate your needs clearly for the best results.
- Take 10: Communication Is Key—How to Organize a Successful Distributed Team MeetingReleased on 12/12/2014 with Pam DidnerIn just 10 minutes, we'll show you how to close the gap between cross-regional teams and establish an effective communications process. You'll walk away with best practices for rallying everyone to work towards the same goals and an agenda of healthy topics to address in your team meetings.
- Take 10: Agile Marketing—Managing Marketing at the Speed of the Digital AgeReleased on 9/13/2013 with Scott BrinkerIn just 10 minutes, you'll discover how agile marketing can be seamlessly incorporated into your marketing plan. We'll discuss ways to make your team more nimble and your campaigns more responsive to your customers' constantly changing needs.
- Take 10: Five Ways to Streamline Your Content Approval ProcessReleased on 6/29/2012 with Daphne Gray-GrantIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn five simple ways to make your content approval process less painful and more effective. We're going to guide you through the content creation and approval process so that you can focus on more important things, like your bottom line.
- Take 10: 3 Rules for Winning Business When the Odds Are Against YouReleased on 8/12/2011 with Stephen DennyIn this Take 10, competitive strategy and marketing consultant Stephen Denny gives you the nitty-gritty on getting scrappy and actually capitalizing on (seemingly) overwhelming business challenges.
Management: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Four Requisites for Agile Marketing SuccessIn this 36-page guide, we'll run through four requisites for agile marketing success—the right attitude, the voice of the customer, "flow-jo" (flow mojo), and teamwork—along with a myriad of tips for putting it all into motion.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to a Social Media Program: Everything you need to know about establishing your strategy, policy and teamThe adage “think before you speak” has now become “think before you write.” In this age of instant messaging, businesses need to wield their online words thoughtfully. Check out MarketingProfs “A Step-by-Step Guide to a Successful Social Media Program” to learn how to create your social media strategy, policy and team.
- SWOT Analysis How-To GuideThis comprehensive, step-by-step how-to guide will help you assess the position in the market of your product or firm, by identifying the product's Strengths and Weaknesses, by considering the potential Opportunities the product has in the marketingplace, and by assessing the potential Threats posed by either the competition or the marketplace.
- Benchmark Survey: Voice of the CustomerLink directly to the raw (aggregate) data in this 2006 survey of the ways companies are incorporating the voice of the customer into their marketing, their product development, and their management. With access to the raw data, you can view the results, and even filter them to see how a subset of companies in your country or industry answered. In this way, you can interpret the data in the most meaningful way for your business.