Measurement: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Measuring Marketing ROI: Are You Doing It Right?Daisy ChenToday's consumers connect with brands through more channels and devices than ever before. And though many companies have some process in place to measure marketing ROI, few are doing it ...
Marketing Operations Is Here to Stay: What You Need to KnowDan PurvisIt wasn't always obvious that marketing operations would become such a central part of B2B marketing. But it has, and it's now the core engine making Marketing smarter, faster, and ...
The Top 5 KPIs Marketers Need to Measure (And How to Measure and Improve Them)Juuso LyytikkäThese are the five key KPIs that marketers must regularly measure. You'll learn how to measure them, followed by tips on how to improve the performance of each.
The Five Pillars of a Solid Digital Marketing Strategy That EnduresPeter PetraliaWhy in this digital world would you operate your digital marketing communications without a solid strategy and plan? Set your foundation on the right footing now, and you'll save time ...
Six Easy Steps to Kick-Start Marketing Attribution on Your Marketing TeamDayna Rothman, VP Marketing, BrightFunnel [SponsorMarketing attribution is becoming a business imperative, but focusing on measurement is a new competency for many marketing teams. So how do you prepare? What initiatives do you need to ...
Eight Rules for Data-Driven MarketingAshley StirrupFrom rules such as think big but start small and with the basics, to take an action-based approach, pick your battles, and beware of small sample sizes... in this article ...
Your Brand Tracking Program Is All Wrong: Five Tips to Fix ItMitch MarkelBrand tracking—collecting data from a static group of consumers on a regular basis—can assess and scrutinize shifts in KPIs and consumer attitudes and behaviors. You can track and benchmark everything ...
A Blueprint for Hit Marketing Campaigns: Collaboration [Infographic]Laura ForerGetting people from various teams to collaborate on a marketing campaign can feel like you're herding cats. Here are some ideas on how to create a collaborative, connected team to ...
2017 Marketing Performance Benchmarks and Trends [Infographic]Laura PattersonWhat distinguishes excellence among marketing organizations? What do best-in-class marketers do better and differently that enables them to achieve marketing excellence at their organizations?
Five Lessons for All Marketers From the Departure of Coke's CMOSam MelnickCoca-Cola has decided to eliminate the position of CMO; instead, Coke has created a chief growth officer role, in charge of both its customer and its commercial teams. Here's what ...
Measurement: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Funnel Metrics, Attribution, and Measuring Marketing ROI in Any Industry: Christine Vermes on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneChristine Vermes, vice-president of marketing at sales and marketing analytics company Full Circle Insights, discusses funnel metrics and attribution, and how to measure marketing ROI in any industry, from software and technology to the game of polo.
Embrace Revenue Responsibility With 'Full Funnel Marketing': Author Matt Heinz on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneFull Funnel Marketing author Matt Heinz explains why (and how) marketers should embrace revenue-based metrics to demonstrate Marketing's impact on the organization.
B2B Data-Driven Marketing: Author Ruth Stevens on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneRuth Stevens discusses her new book, B2B Data-Driven Marketing, shares tips on how to collect and use data to improve B2B marketing results, and offers insights from her time as a senior marketer at companies like Time Warner and IBM.
Measuring the B2B Customer Journey: SmartBear CMO Bryan Semple on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSmartBear CMO and MarketingProfs University instructor Bryan Semple shares insights on marketing measurement and the B2B customer journey.
Power Up Through Experiential Marketing: Shell's Chris Hayek Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneChris Hayek, director of global brand management for Shell Lubricants, explains his approach to integrated marketing, communicating innovation, and creating experiences that bring the brand to life for consumers.
The Marketing Performance Blueprint: PR 20/20 Founder Paul Roetzer Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgonePaul Roetzer—founder of inbound marketing agency PR 20/20, author of The Marketing Agency Blueprint—shares tips for smart staffing and measuring marketing results from his latest book, The Marketing Performance Blueprint.
Revenue and the CMO: Author Glenn Gow Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneHelping your company to embrace social selling doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition: You can implement a pilot program to demonstrate how social media can have a positive impact on revenue. Glenn Gow shares tips for starting a successful ...
The Art of Marketing Operations: Steven Bushong of Disney ABC Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantSteve Bushong's background in systems engineering, and his experience with sourcing, procurement, and operations, gave him a unique perspective on how marketing can and should work in today's complex media environment.
How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantTesting your online campaigns, landing pages, forms, website, and so on can't be an every-now-and-again thing. Testing must be iterative and ongoing if it is to produce results. Which means, among other things, that your organization must institute a culture ...
Moving From Attribution to Prediction: Jim Lenskold Talks ROI Metrics on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantDemonstrating value is certainly a fine reason to measure our actions and their results. But discussing marketing measurement with Jim Lenskold during this week's Marketing Smarts podcast got me thinking that we may be thinking about the purpose of measurement ...
Measurement: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Marketing Measurement & Analytics: How to Create a Strategy That Ensures SuccessBroadcast on 8/3/2017 with Gordon PlutskyIn this online seminar, you'll discover how to harness the power of analytics. From establishing clear business goals to improving the key performance indicators (KPIs) that matter most, you'll learn the specific steps needed to create an actionable analytics strategy that will provide campaign insights and performance metrics, and deliver the crucial benchmarks for success.
- Advanced Google Analytics: Tricks for Goals, Events, and Tracking CodesBroadcast on 7/20/2017 with Andy CrestodinaIn this Teach Me How seminar, you'll learn how to add and manage your marketing tags with Google Tag Manager without getting all technical and digging into code. You'll discover how to gain insight into the source and behavior of your visitors so you can understand their needs to give them a better experience.
- The Content Formula: How to Create and Measure Content That ConvertsBroadcast on 6/15/2017 with Michael BrennerIn this Teach Me How seminar, we'll show you 10 ways you can quantify the return on your marketing through a consistent content approach. You'll also learn how to use content to create an appealing destination that your customers can't wait to visit again and again.
- Hello, It's Me... The Adele Guide to Doing EmailBroadcast on 4/20/2017 with Michael BarberIn this Teach Me How seminar, you'll learn which email engagement tactics and best practices will ensure your emails stand out, get opened, and generate the ROI you seek. You'll leave with resources upon resources to help you develop awesome emails that Adele would open and approve!
- 10 Powerful Tips for Getting More From Your AnalyticsBroadcast on 3/19/2015 with Michele KissIn this PRO seminar, we'll provide you with 10 tips and actions you can implement immediately to do more with your data—no expensive tools required! Whether you have an analytics team or you have no support at all, we'll show you how to get more from your data and so you can stop struggling and start gaining valuable insight.
- MarketingProfs University: The Metrics That Matter—Making Sense of the NoiseBroadcast on 2/12/2015 with Paul RoetzerIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to determine and separate the most important data from the extraneous. You'll walk away with the tools to use relevant data to bring a sense of structure to the numbers, and gain the clarity and confidence to direct future marketing campaigns.
- How to Use Metrics to Achieve Greater Results From Your Next ExhibitBroadcast on 10/16/2014 with Joe FederbushIn this PRO seminar, we'll share how exhibitors, regardless of size or budget, can develop and execute an effective and strategic event marketing measurement strategy. You'll learn how to use the right tools to justify your event's budget, and take away tried-and-true tips such as how to calculate the optimal booth size and number of personnel needed to achieve maximum results.
- MarketingProfs University: Finding the True Value of Your Online Marketing CampaignsBroadcast on 4/10/2014 with Ruth BurrIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how web marketing programs should target the "sweet spot" between website performance and campaign performance, allowing marketers to take a whole-funnel approach.
- The Power of More: How Knowing More About Your Website Visitors Drives Greater ROIBroadcast on 6/20/2013 with Marc Engelsman, Ben YurchakThis seminar will delve into some of the challenges marketers face when extracting meaningful and actionable insights from their web analytics data and lead you to more—more leads, more conversions, more sales, more ROI.
- Five Tools for Creating a Social Media Plan and Forecasting Its ImpactBroadcast on 11/29/2012 with Rex BriggsIn this seminar, you'll discover why social media beats traditional media in terms of ROI, how to deliver the impact you need to, and how to forecast and plan your campaigns.
Measurement: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Interpret Data to Create Great ContentReleased on 9/26/2014 with Hana AbazaIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn what data can drive key areas of your content marketing strategy, including content ideation and content distribution. You'll walk away with a clear understanding of how to interpret your data, and how to turn that insight into great content.
- Take 10: How to Set Up Your Metrics for a Successful CampaignReleased on 1/24/2014 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll review the various data capture methods available, which methods are appropriate for each communication type, and the guidelines you should use to choose the right metrics for a successful campaign.
- Take 10: How to Create Goals in Google AnalyticsReleased on 9/20/2013 with Christine B. WhittemoreIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to set up basic goals in Google Analytics so you can start to evaluate your website traffic right away.
- Take 10: Selecting the Right Metrics to Measure Campaign SuccessReleased on 6/21/2013 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll provide you with guidelines for choosing the right metrics for your campaign so you can get right to measuring your tremendous success.
- Take 10: Demonstrate Marketing Success by Setting Clear ObjectivesReleased on 6/14/2013 with Ruth P. StevensIn just 10 minutes, we'll provide you with guidelines you'll want to follow in order to set clear objectives. If you follow these tips, you'll be able to clearly demonstrate marketing success in a language that your senior management team understands.
- Take 10: Tips to Measure Your Trade Show Success in Real TimeReleased on 4/5/2013 with Rob MurphyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn easy, do-it-yourself tips for measuring your trade show program—in real time.
- Take 10: How to Use Predictive Analytics to Better Your BusinessReleased on 11/23/2012 with Laura PattersonIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to successfully use predictive analytics to optimize your campaigns and improve customer experience.
- Take 10: How to Create Custom URLs for Better Campaign TrackingReleased on 10/5/2012 with Dan SoschinIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create custom URLs for your campaigns that will improve your Google Analytics tracking tenfold and, ultimately, improve your campaign performance.
- Take 10: Four Steps to Creating a Useful Engagement MetricReleased on 8/3/2012 with Laura PattersonIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to best engage with your customers, why engagement is important, and how to put it to good use!
- Take 10: Five Key Ways to Optimize Your QR Code PerformanceReleased on 7/20/2012 with Brian KlaisIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn five keys to great QR code execution, including how to use QR codes to help build a stronger brand, how to entice users to scan your code, and how to measure the success of your campaign.
Measurement: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Social Media ROI Success StoriesLearn how social media is changing the way we market to consumers and businesses, and how 11 companies are measuring and monitoring the success of their social media campaigns.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Market ResearchNeed to learn about your customers without the big price tag of market research firms? This guide on do-it-yourself market research will help you get the information you need to position your business without emptying the corporate coffers.
- Marketing Metrics How-To GuideMetrics is the guiding light of your marketing efforts. Without measurements, you're operating in the dark. Make sure you are tracking the right metrics, and get tips on interpreting the data with this comprehensive guide.
- SWOT Analysis How-To GuideThis comprehensive, step-by-step how-to guide will help you assess the position in the market of your product or firm, by identifying the product's Strengths and Weaknesses, by considering the potential Opportunities the product has in the marketingplace, and by assessing the potential Threats posed by either the competition or the marketplace.
- Online Research How-To GuideSet clear objectives and a realistic scope to online research projects. These are just two of the steps that this comprehensive, step-by-step planning guide will help you to accomplish to insure your online research results in the most relevant and useful information possible.
- Market Forecasting TemplateThis guide will give you a mini-seminar on the art and the science of forecasting. Learn the four different ways to create forecasting models and choose the ones that best suit your needs. Then follow these easy-to-follow steps to creating a model where you too can predict the future.
- Benchmark Report : Marketing ROI (Year 2)This 2006 survey, the second annual ROI study, demonstrates that companies are definitely getting the ROI message. This study shows a significant increase in the number of companies that have implemented some form of Marketing ROI measurements. And let's face it, Marketing ROI is here to stay. Jim Lenskold says, "Marketing ROI will continue to be a priority as long as maximizing profits is a priority for corporations." Well said, Jim.
- Competitive Analysis TemplateA thorough competitive analysis is a critical component of a solid marketing plan. It is an exercise that will provide you with valuable insights to guide the development of your business strategy. This 20-page template will make the project quick and easy, and you can end up with a leg up on your compeition.
- Benchmark Report: Marketing ROI (Year 1)In a 2005 survey, the first in an annual series, Jim Lenskold found that only 1 in 5 respondents was actually using ROI measures for marketing efforts -- 99% of those respondents indicate increased profitability due to the use of ROI. See this and subsequent reports for a full picture of the evolution of marketing ROI.
- Branding and Brand EquityThere isn't a single marketing topic that has dominated the last decade of the field of marketing than Branding. And, although it's certain you have at the very least put your toe in the water of the great Branding Lake, you will get nothing but good advice, confirmation of your strategies and tactics, and probably even some new ideas from this Marketing Guide.