Positioning: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
The Tactics of Marketing Strategy: A Marketer's GuidePeter AltschulerTo plan your marketing, you need a marketing strategy. But how do you create that strategy? You need a tactical approach to understanding where you've been, where you are, where ...
How to Maintain Brand Authenticity in Today's Politically Polarized ClimateBrandon LewisTo pick a side or not to pick a side? That is the question plaguing many brands in today's politically polarized environment. Pick a side, and you risk potentially losing ...
Innovation Is Not the Key to Success, Reinvention IsRoger CusaMany marketers, business owners, and entrepreneurs think innovation is synonymous with invention—and that to move the needle, we need to come up with a shiny new product, market, or idea. ...
11 Powerful Approaches to Marketing Highly Unsexy ProductsRishi MedhiThe appeal of some products is obvious; they practically sell themselves. Other, "boring" products? Not so much... There is hope, though. Here are 11 powerful ways to market products that, ...
Embrace the Squirrel: How to Achieve Genuine Breakthroughs in Your Communications EffectivenessTim PollardCommunication matters. In organizations without effective communication, leaders can't lead, products don't sell, and projects don't get funded. Which presents a paradox: if it's that important, why does most communication ...
Four Steps to a Compelling Brand Story That Wins Over CustomersCourtney AppsWhen a brand story is crafted correctly, consumers will be proud to associate with and represent your brand, and they will market it of their own volition via word-of-mouth.
B2B Sales Reps Are Out of Sync With Buyers, But Is Marketing at Fault?Bruce ScheerToo often, salespeople don't understand the buyer's world or needs, and don't know to communicate real value. But whose fault is it? The sellers'? They often get the blame, but ...
How to Apply Neuromarketing Principles to Improve Marketing Effectiveness (Part 2 of 2)Lawson AbinantiPart 1 examined stimuli that get the attention of the decision-making portion of the brain. Part 2 explains how specific tactics appeal to the brain and improve the effectiveness of ...
Improve Your Marketing Communications With Insights From Neuromarketing (Part 1 of 2)Lawson AbinantiTo ensure your marketing communications engage and convince your audiences, you'll need to understand how the human mind works. These are the six characteristics of the decision-making part of the ...
Five Ways to Compete Against Low-Price CompetitorsLaura PattersonAll of us face a low-cost or low-price competitor at one time or another. The solution isn't to lower your prices and engage in a price war; that just means ...
Positioning: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Ruthless B2B Positioning: Messaging Expert Lawson Abinanti on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneLawson Abinanti, B2B marketing and messaging strategy consultant, offers tips for positioning a B2B brand, and urges marketers to be "ruthless" by focusing on ideal buyers instead of diverting resources to one-off sales.
'Name That Brand': Naming Expert Mike Pile on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneA brand's name can make or break a business. Naming expert Mike Pile of Uppercase Branding shares his secrets for winning the high-stakes name game.
Tell Your Brand Story in Just Six Seconds: Bill Fasig on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneCan you tell your brand story in six seconds? Because that's all today's consumer will give you. Bill Fasig of TopRight Partners shares the consultancy's process for distilling a complex narrative into a six-second story.
Content, Social, Sales, and Community: Highlights From a Year of Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantWe covered a range of topics on the Marketing Smarts podcast in 2012. In this episode we share some highlights on creating compelling content, allowing social media to humanize your organization, building community, and navigating the sometimes tricky relationship between ...
Does Your Brand Have a Visual Hammer? Laura Ries on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThis week's guest , Laura Ries, believes in tying a brand's core message (the "verbal nail") to a striking visual image (the "visual hammer"). Her premise is straightforward: To leave a lasting impression on the mind of customers and potential ...
Positioning: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- 10 Keys to Creating a Winning Marketing Conceptwith Martha GuidryIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the keys to marketing concept success. We'll examine real world examples to illustrate the challenges faced when creating marketing concepts, giving you a clear understanding of what an ownable positioning concept really is and setting you up to hit the ground running.
- Using Market Frameworks to Analyze Your Competitionwith Sean CampbellIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to use market frameworks to understand your market and analyze your competition, understand your own strengths, and uncover weaknesses you may not even know you have.
- Ten Best Practices for Performing Competitive Teardownswith Sean CampbellYou'll learn the do's and don'ts of acquiring competitors' solutions, methods to perform the teardown effectively and fairly, and how you can use the results to improve your marketing and sales collateral.
- How to Create Advertising Campaigns that Make Men Do What You Wantwith Steve McNamaraNow's your chance to learn how to think like the Creative Director of a bigshot ad agency.
- What's the best way to start building a relationship with potential buyers? Educate them about your industry, possible solution choices, best practices, and the right questions to ask.
- Direct-to-Consumer PR: Putting thewith Gail Z. MartinGo beyond the idea of the Direct-to-Consumer press release and put the 'public' back into PR with a new look at ways to take the corporate message straight to the purchaser.
- Online marketing professionals have been monitoring the success of their websites for a little over ten years now. They have been using the Internet to test alternatives in marketing strategy, messaging, positioning, offers, promotions and more. Today, these techniques can be directed at the offline world as well.
- Seth Godin: How to Avoid The Meatball Sundaewith Seth GodinThis seminar with Seth Godin is perfect for anyone wrestling with the collision of traditional marketing and the New Marketing that's happening online. It's all about avoiding the meatball sundae. "What's a Meatball Sundae?" you ask ...
- When salespeople lack strong value propositions, they're unable to crack into corporate accounts, engage customers in business-oriented discussions, differentiate themselves from competitors and get prospective customers to make decisions to change. Strong value propositions are that important!
- Jack Trout on Worldwide Positioning: An Encore Presentationwith Jack TroutThe global economy is the driving force in today’s marketing world. Positioning is the driving force in how to operate in this world. This seminar will take you on a journey around the world to see how positioning is being practiced from China to Venezuela and many stops in between.
Positioning: Tutorials - tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: How to Name Your BrandReleased on 9/4/2015 with Jeremy MillerIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss how to choose a brand name that resonates with your customers. We'll walk you through the four types of names and the elements that make them sticky, as well as teach you how to evaluate your company and product names against the competition.
- Take 10: A Step-by-Step Guide to Product SelectionReleased on 5/17/2013 with Kathleen SchultzIn just 10 minutes, we'll share a comprehensive step-by-step approach to product selection that will step up your selling success!
- Take 10 Author Series: How to Become a Go-To Resource for CustomersReleased on 2/24/2012 with Brian SolisIn just 10 minutes, Brian tells you exactly what you need to do to become relevant and a go-to resource for your customer.
Positioning: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- The Three Cs of Successful PositioningIn this 15-page guide, you'll learn how to research the three Cs, their importance, and their impact on the positioning process. Just as positioning is the foundation for successful marketing, understanding the three Cs is the foundation for a positioning strategy that will set you apart from your competitors.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Positioning, Naming & TaglinesSpot-on positioning leads to names that attract customers and taglines that sing. Get your small business on the track to marketing success.
Search by Topic
- Ad Copy
- B2B Marketing
- Blog Comments
- Brand Ambassadors
- Brand Awareness
- Brand Equity
- Brand Loyalty
- Brand Management
- Brand Positioning
- Career Management
- Case Studies
- Channel Marketing
- Chief Marketing Officer
- Consumer Electronics
- Content Marketing
- Content Strategy
- Corporate Blogging
- Creative Briefs
- Customer Acquisition
- Customer Behavior
- Customer Engagement
- Customer Experience
- Customer Loyalty
- Customer Relationships
- Customer Retention
- Customer Satisfaction
- Customer Service
- Digital Marketing
- Digital Theory
- Direct Marketing
- Economic Crisis
- Email Campaigns
- Email Deliverability
- Email Lists
- Email Marketing
- Email Service Providers
- Email Subject Lines
- Green Marketing
- High-Tech Marketing
- Hiring Outside Resources
- Hispanic Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Interactive Marketing
- International Marketing
- Job Search
- Landing Pages
- Lead Generation
- Lead Nurturing
- Lead Quality
- Lead Scoring
- Local Marketing
- Market Research
- Marketing Analytics
- Marketing Automation
- Marketing Budgets
- Marketing Challenges
- Marketing Dashboards
- Marketing Inspiration
- Marketing Operations
- Marketing Plans
- Marketing Smarter
- Marketing Smarts
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Tips
- Mobile Marketing
- New Media
- Online Marketing
- Permission Email Marketing
- Personal Branding
- Positioning Statements
- PPC Campaigns
- Press Kits
- Print Collateral
- Product Management
- How to Build an Outstanding Marketing Team: A Seven-Step 'People ... by Charlotte W.
- Four Steps for Conducting an Efficient Content Audit and ... by Rahul Varshneya
- Five Interactive-Content Tools to Engage Your Audience and ... by Lilach Bullock
- Reaching and Persuading Buyers at a Time of Crisis: What B2B ... by Tom Cunniff, Mike Cucka
- What Your Customers' Searches Can Tell You. Are You Paying ... by Nicolas Dessaigne