Small Business: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
How to Launch a New Brand: Five Tips for an Unforgettable DebutStewart HodgsonFollow these five steps to create a memorable and effective brand that will help your company stand out from the competition.
How Small Business Owners Got Their StartAyaz NanjiMost small business owners worked a full-time job while starting their own firm, according to recent research from Paychex.
How SMBs Are Using Social Media: Platform, Posting, and Content TrendsAyaz NanjiMost small-to-midsize businesses in the United States are now using social media for marketing purposes, according to recent research from Clutch.
The Small Business Guide to Google Analytics [Infographic]Laura ForerGoogle Analytics: It's everywhere, yet it's still a mystery to many marketers. Put your Google Analytics jitters to rest today with this guide to getting started and using some of ...
Seven Considerations for Your New Business's Social Media StrategyAmelia WillsonCreating a social media strategy can feel overwhelming—especially when there are so many social platforms. These tips will help you focus on the basics so you can find your audience ...
#SocialSkim: Coping With Facebook Changes; WhatsApp Business App Launched: 10 Stories This WeekChristian NeriYour social strategy in the wake of Facebook's big algorithm change; WhatsApp launches its business app; Snapchat users unhappy with redesign; Facebook's plans to become more local & declutter Messenger; ...
Small Business Digital Marketing Trends for 2018 [Infographic]Ayaz NanjiMost small business owners expect to use social media content to acquire new customers in 2018, according to recent research from Infusionsoft.
How Local Businesses Are Advertising This Holiday SeasonAyaz NanjiFacebook is the most popular channel with local businesses for running advertising campaigns this holiday season, according to recent research from Netsertive.
Valuable Employee-Recognition Tips [Infographic]Laura ForerAll employees want to be recognized for their good work, but 49% of them say they are dissatisfied with that aspect of their jobs. Managers should take note: Happy employees ...
When and Where Consumers Use Search Engines to Find Local BusinessesAyaz NanjiConsumers searching online for local businesses typically plan to visit/book an appointment within the next two days, according to recent research from Review Trackers.
Small Business: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Marketers, to Do More With Less, Get Scrappy! Nick Westergaard on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneBrand strategist Nick Westergaard discusses his new book, Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small, and explains how big businesses and startups alike can get more for their marketing dollars by doing more with less.
Persuasive Presentations: Communication Expert Nancy Duarte Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgonePresentation expert Nancy Duarte shares tips for creating marketing presentations that persuade, and talks about how she and her husband disrupted the graphic design industry with the startup they ran out of their California apartment.
To Grow You Must Change: John Jantsch on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantJohn Jantsch believes that if businesses are to grow, they need to be ready, willing, and able to change. To navigate and instigate such change, business leaders need a clarity of purpose and they need to set big, audacious goals.
Small Business: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Running the Gauntlet: Essential Business Lessons to Lead, Drive Change, and Grow Profitswith Jeffrey HayzlettThis PRO seminar, taught by Jeffrey Hayzlett, will reveal how to run and drive change through marketing and business, from getting ready to creating and sustaining momentum.
- Learn to turn your larger competitors' lack of speed and agility to your advantage in this PRO seminar and MPU Marketing Your Small Business kickoff class.
- Social Media is a Powerful Tool for Small Businesseswith Sean McDonaldJoin us as we share with you why your small business is better suited for the new frontier and lessons that can be learned from both small and large companies that have already embarked on their social media journey.
- Promotions: Instant Gratification for Small Business Marketerswith Michael GoodmanThis seminar will focus on those highly-visible short-term activities that are designed to generate sales NOW—not next week or next month, but right away. We'll look at a number of examples of these promotions and begin to understand which are most appropriate (and effective) for different kinds of businesses.
- Small Business Series: How to Advertise on a Modest Budgetwith Michael GoodmanMichael Goodman has been responsible for annual advertising budgets ranging from a few thousand dollars to millions of dollars, in consumer, B2B, services, information, entertainment and not-for-profit situations. He’s learned advertising from recognized masters of the craft, and stumbled across some truths on his own.
- Small Business Series: Budgeting for the Marketing Mixwith Michael GoodmanIn this seminar, we'll deal with some of the most common questions asked by entrepreneurs and small business marketers: How much should we spend on marketing? Is it a percentage of sales? How do we get benchmarks for our industry? How do we know if we're over-spending, under-spending, or right on the money?
- Small Business Series: How to Set Prices the Smart Waywith Michael GoodmanPricing strategy is the sleeping giant of marketing strategy. The marketing mix element with perhaps the greatest potential to affect the bottom line and properly position a brand or a company with its target audience—yet the one most often relegated to a simple financial or sales decision, without regard for its impact on the brand. This seminar will address the role of pricing as a marketing tool, and ...
- Small Business Series: Positioning, Naming and Taglineswith Michael GoodmanMost small businesses can't afford to invest thousands of dollars in advertising and promotion every week. They have to rely on making the greatest possible impact with a small budget. The starting point for many of them is a well-thought-out positioning statement that captures the essence of the company and then gets translated into a meaningful and memorable tagline.Take a practical look at positioning as the cornerstone of a marketing plan and the basis for naming, taglines and brand building.
- Small Business Series: Do-It-Yourself Market Researchwith Michael GoodmanThe amount you spend on market research isn't the most important consideration. The key is asking the right high-gain questions and knowing what to do with the answers.This seminar will cover not only the various options for market research, but also six do-it-yourself approaches that can yield better results than studies costing thousands of dollars. And the turn-around time is often a fraction of what a major project would involve.
- Small Business Series: Why Most Small Businesses Fail (and How to Avoid Being One of Them)with Michael GoodmanWe’ll deal with everything, including: advertising, taglines, promotion, budgeting, publicity and low-cost market research. We’ll use case studies from small B2B and B2C companies and borrow ideas from larger companies as well.
Small Business: Tutorials - tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Hire, Outsource, or DIY—How to Assess Your Marketing NeedsReleased on 1/30/2015 with Christina IngeIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to determine which projects you can DIY, and which projects you should outsource or hire a contractor to handle. We'll discuss the pros and cons of outsourcing, how to decide when to use it versus using in-house personnel, and how to communicate your needs clearly for the best results.
- Take 10: Strategic Resources to Better Manage Your Social MarketingReleased on 1/23/2015 with Guy PowellIn just 10 minutes, we'll show you how to overcome common social marketing challenges (such as not having enough time, budget, or staff) and provide you with key dashboard dimensions, including how to set up specific improvement objectives and how to track your progress to improve your social marketing efforts.
- Take 10: The 10 Web Marketing Areas You Need to Focus on NowReleased on 1/9/2015 with Stoney deGeyterIn just 10 minutes, we'll identify the top 10 online marketing areas you should be focusing on, and provide you with three action items for each. With your top 10 list and actionable to-dos in hand, you can eliminate the less impactful projects, and hone your time, money, and energy on what really matters and gives you the best ROI.
- Take 10: Three Ways to Outsmart Your Biggest CompetitorsReleased on 11/4/2011 with Stephen DennyIn just 10 minutes, learn the three best ways to outsmart the competition. You'll find out which questions to ask yourself before taking a risk as well as how to best use speed as a competitive weapon.
Small Business: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Positioning, Naming & TaglinesSpot-on positioning leads to names that attract customers and taglines that sing. Get your small business on the track to marketing success.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Market ResearchNeed to learn about your customers without the big price tag of market research firms? This guide on do-it-yourself market research will help you get the information you need to position your business without emptying the corporate coffers.
- Small Biz How-To Guide: Avoiding Key PitfallsLet's face it, more small businesses fail than succeed. Make sure yours is one of the winners with this guide to getting your small business off the ground and solidly on the road to success.
Search by Topic
- Ad Copy
- B2B Marketing
- Blog Comments
- Brand Ambassadors
- Brand Awareness
- Brand Equity
- Brand Loyalty
- Brand Management
- Brand Positioning
- Career Management
- Case Studies
- Channel Marketing
- Chief Marketing Officer
- Consumer Electronics
- Content Marketing
- Content Strategy
- Corporate Blogging
- Creative Briefs
- Customer Acquisition
- Customer Behavior
- Customer Engagement
- Customer Experience
- Customer Loyalty
- Customer Relationships
- Customer Retention
- Customer Satisfaction
- Customer Service
- Digital Marketing
- Digital Theory
- Direct Marketing
- Economic Crisis
- Email Campaigns
- Email Deliverability
- Email Lists
- Email Marketing
- Email Service Providers
- Email Subject Lines
- Green Marketing
- High-Tech Marketing
- Hiring Outside Resources
- Hispanic Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Interactive Marketing
- International Marketing
- Job Search
- Landing Pages
- Lead Generation
- Lead Nurturing
- Lead Quality
- Lead Scoring
- Local Marketing
- Market Research
- Marketing Analytics
- Marketing Automation
- Marketing Budgets
- Marketing Challenges
- Marketing Dashboards
- Marketing Inspiration
- Marketing Operations
- Marketing Plans
- Marketing Smarter
- Marketing Smarts
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Tips
- Mobile Marketing
- New Media
- Online Marketing
- Permission Email Marketing
- Personal Branding
- Positioning Statements
- PPC Campaigns
- Press Kits
- Print Collateral
- Product Management
- Forget ROAS, It's All About ROMI Now by Alon Tvina
- Accelerated B2B Sales Growth: Challenges and Strategies by Kristin B.
- Email, Content, and SEO: A Marketing Tag-Team for 2019 and Beyond by Aaron Chichioco
- Four Types of Influencers for Your Influencer Marketing Campaigns by Jason Falls
- Brand Marketing vs. Performance Marketing: Finding the Right ... by Farzana Nasser