Marketing Strategy: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
#SocialSkim: All About Facebook M, Plus 8 More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadGet the latest on what makes M—the Facebook approach to Siri—different and worth trying. You'll also get an early glimpse of how Instagram ads are faring, how Snapchat's wooing back-to-schoolers, ...
How Much Do Public Companies Spend on Marketing and Sales? [Infographic]Ayaz NanjiThe proportion of annual revenue that companies spend on marketing and sales varies widely by industry and strategy, according to a recent report from Vital.
How to Turn Bloggers (and Other Influencers) Into Your Brand ChampionsJeff FosterInfluencer marketing is one of the most effective ways to drive sales and grow your brand online. But you'll need to take a structured approach to building a long-term relationship.
Six Simple Steps for Aligning Sales and Marketing to Boost Conversions and Fill Your PipelineDamon WaldronSales and Marketing misalignment not only saps marketing ROI but also slows pipeline growth, drags down conversion rates, and contributes to slow growth—or even loss—in revenue. But you can fix ...
Build Your Brand by Separating It From ProductBrian BennettOften, the hardest thing for a marketer to do—conceptually—is to separate brand from product. "Our brand and product are inseparable," I've heard it said—by some very successful people. But that's ...
Harness the Power of Personas for Social Media MarketingKeith QuesenberryPersonas are not new. What is new is taking personas and applying them to social media. This article provides four approaches to creating personas to increase the relevancy of your ...
#SocialSkim: The Future of Payments May Be Selfies, Plus 11 More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadSummer's winding down—all the more reason to amp up your social strategy. See how MasterCard is testing selfies as a secure payment option, how LinkedIn plans to take over your ...
Safeguard Marketing's Value: Build a Marketing Technology EcosystemLaura PattersonThe vast number of available marketing technology options is proof that marketing is evolving into a technology-powered discipline. To ensure your tech investments truly help your organization thrive, make sure ...
Top Three Ways to Market to MillennialsHernan VicunaGenerations are shaped to some extent by the times in which they come of age, so it makes sense for marketers who wish to reach millennials to understand the forces ...
#SocialSkim: Access to Every Public Tweet, Ever. Plus More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadFind out how you can use deep-dive Twitter searches to improve your marketing. You'll also discover how to download your LinkedIn contacts' email addresses, up your Instagram game, and get ...
Marketing Strategy: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
The Golden Age of B2B Marketing: Peter Isaacson of Demandbase on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneDemandbase Chief Marketing Officer Peter Isaacson discusses the "golden age of B2B marketing," how to measure success, and using account-based marketing to increase revenue.
Sharing: You're Doing It Wrong. 'Shareology' Author Bryan Kramer on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSocial business strategist and bestselling author Bryan Kramer discusses the science and the art of sharing, and how to use it to make your content more valuable (and shareable),
How to Go Beyond Just Telling Your Brand Story: Christian Lachel on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneChristian Lachel shares his secrets to building lasting customer relationships through emotionally evocative brand experiences that increase loyalty and drive revenue. He and his team at BRC Imagination Arts have created some of the world's most memorable brand experiences.
Win With Mobile Games: Kevin Bachus of Dave & Buster's on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneKevin Bachus, co-creator of the Xbox, senior VP of entertainment and games strategy at Dave & Buster's, discusses how the company uses mobile games to stay connected with customers between visits.
How to Keep Your Marketing Legal: Attorney Sara Hawkins on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAttorneys Sara F. Hawkins and Kerry O'Shea Gorgone discuss the latest tips from the FTC on how brands and bloggers should legally disclose sponsored content and run promotions.
Why Millennials Ignore Your Marketing (and How to Fix That): Matt Britton on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMillennials are masters at tuning out marketing messages, but you can connect with this elusive demographic: You just need a different approach. YouthNation author Matt Britton explains how to engage today's youth.
Mastering the Content Code: Mark Schaefer on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor, speaker, and educator Mark Schaefer discusses his latest book, The Content Code, and shares secrets for igniting your content so you can break through the deafening noise and achieve marketing success.
Marketing That Surprises: A Special Guest Host Takes Over Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneIn line with the theme of this episode—marketing that surprises—as well as the day it airs (April Fools' Day), a surprise host takes over Marketing Smarts to discuss campaigns that surprise and (sometimes) delight!
Uplifting Instagram Marketing: Soffe Apparel's Paul Anderson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSoffe Apparel's director of marketing, Paul Anderson, explains the research and strategy behind the company's rebranding and its targeted use of social channels such as Instagram to energize audiences.
Social Media for Executives: Charlene Li on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor and Altimeter founder and CEO Charlene Li explains why and how executives should use social media to engage with their employees, their customers, and their brands' larger audiences.
Marketing Strategy: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Case Study: Reframe Your Media Strategy to Identify and Engage New AudiencesBroadcast on 7/16/2015 with Alyssa Hall, Emily VidettoIn this PRO seminar, we'll explain how GAF Roofing redefined their media and branding strategy to engage a new audience and re-engage their traditional audiences through social, PR, television, video, and more. You'll learn how to tailor your approach to capture the attention of a shifting customer base as well as gain insight on how to update both your messaging and media to increase loyalty and engagement.
- Capturing Customers: How to Transition From Product Promoters to Trusted AdvisersBroadcast on 6/18/2015 with Carla JohnsonIn this PRO seminar, we'll talk about why marketers need to change their approach to capture and keep buyer attention. You'll learn how to transition your marketing from being product-centered into thought leadership centered, and ultimately, how to establish yourself as a trusted adviser within your industry. We'll also share the tactics that the best B2B brands are using to do exactly this.
- Turn Marketing Technology Into a Competitive AdvantageBroadcast on 6/4/2015 with Scott BrinkerIn this PRO seminar, you'll receive an overview of the current state of the marketing technology landscape and we'll discuss the principles by which you can harness it as a competitive advantage. You'll walk away with a better understanding of the intersection between marketing and technology, and gain tips to build a better relationship between marketing and IT.
- How to Build a Successful Content Marketing PlanBroadcast on 4/23/2015 with Michael BrennerIn this PRO seminar, we'll share the key factors for content marketing success and the core components of a content marketing strategy. You'll leave with some advanced tactics you can implement immediately to help you stand out and achieve success from your content marketing.
- How to Build a Comprehensive Social Media StrategyBroadcast on 4/2/2015 with Paul ChaneyIn this PRO seminar, we'll show you how to craft a well-planned social media engagement strategy that best fits your organization's goals and the needs of your target customers. You'll also learn how to develop metrics to help gauge and improve success over time, and the importance of regularly reviewing your strategy.
- How to Integrate Your Brand's Story Into Your Marketing ArsenalBroadcast on 2/5/2015 with Jennifer KaneIn this PRO seminar, we'll move beyond the hype of storytelling and share the essential components of all good stories. You'll receive hands-on, practical advice on what to do after your story is developed and how to strategically weave it into your content marketing plan. We'll also discuss best practices on how to publish and distribute your story to increase audience engagement and improve your ROI.
- Make Something People LoveBroadcast on 1/22/2015 with Alexis OhanianIn this PRO seminar, Alexis will share personal lessons learned from co-founding reddit, the world's largest platform for online communities. He'll discuss how he built hipmunk (a travel search comparison tool) in a crowded industry, and created Breadpig, a thriving community to support creatives in the age of crowdfunding—all with next to no marketing budget.
- MarketingProfs University: Customers Trump Analytics—Why Email Marketing Is About People, Not MetricsBroadcast on 12/4/2014 with Michael BarberIn this PRO seminar, we'll cover the latest email trends and research, and dive into specific examples of email branding, acquisition, loyalty, and retention strategies. You'll learn how to maximize the return on your efforts through improved writing techniques, a deeper understanding of user groups and behaviors, and much more!
- How to Lead the Mindful Marketing RevolutionBroadcast on 11/13/2014 with Lisa NirellIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how today's marketing revolutionaries have learned to stop, breathe, and reflect on the more human side of marketing to generate new opportunities and transform customer relationships.
- MarketingProfs University: Capitalize on the Content Marketing ObsessionBroadcast on 10/2/2014 with Ginger ConlonIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn the core elements of a lucrative content strategy so you can successfully capitalize on the current content marketing obsession.
Marketing Strategy: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Five Keys to a Better Direct Mail ListReleased on 8/21/2015 with Keith GoodmanIn just 10 minutes, we'll share the different types of prospect lists available as well as tips to help you select the right list to reach new customers. You'll also learn how to enhance and segment your existing marketing data to drive better results from your direct mail campaign.
- Take 10: Three Steps for Using Influencer Video to Increase Your Bottom LineReleased on 8/7/2015 with Mark LernerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn three simple steps to source quality influencer video and use it to impact your bottom line in a meaningful and measurable way. Using these steps, you'll be able to implement a strategy that will help you reach your goals and give you a leg up on the competition.
- Take 10: Seven Steps to Social Media Marketing SuccessReleased on 7/24/2015 with Paul ChaneyIn just 10 minutes, we'll walk you through seven steps to creating an effective social media strategy. You'll learn how to incorporate the needs of your customer, align your tactics with your business goals and objectives, integrate other marketing initiatives, and determine the ROI of your social media marketing efforts.
- Take 10: How to Beat the Weekly Deadline Blues (and Get Ahead!)Released on 5/1/2015 with Roger C. ParkerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to map out your editorial calendar for the year with 12 easy, monthly decisions instead of 52 weekly decisions. With the innovative ideas and tips covered in this Take 10, you'll be able to effortlessly manage your daily and weekly marketing activities.
- Take 10: How to Create a Social Media Listening StrategyReleased on 3/13/2015 with Christine B. WhittemoreIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create a social media listening strategy that will jumpstart your social monitoring efforts, find conversations you can engage in, and help you to better identify prospective customers and industry thought leaders.
- Take 10: The 10 Web Marketing Areas You Need to Focus on NowReleased on 1/9/2015 with Stoney deGeyterIn just 10 minutes, we'll identify the top 10 online marketing areas you should be focusing on, and provide you with three action items for each. With your top 10 list and actionable to-dos in hand, you can eliminate the less impactful projects, and hone your time, money, and energy on what really matters and gives you the best ROI.
- Take 10: How to Develop a Dynamic Creative Briefing DocumentReleased on 1/2/2015 with R. Stephen RayfieldIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss the key components of a creative briefing document. You'll be able to take what you learned and develop a document that provides solid direction and parameters to your agency, internal marketing communications team, and/or any other group that has a hand in developing your product or brand campaign.
- Take 10: Six Keys to Creating a Successful Direct Mail Campaign PlanReleased on 8/8/2014 with Keith GoodmanIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn six key points to address when developing a direct mail campaign plan. You'll walk away with the tactical tips and tools you need to increase your campaign's efficiency and effectiveness.
- Take 10: Day One With Marketing Automation, What to Do?Released on 8/1/2014 with Inga RomanoffIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn key steps for a full marketing automation migration, ensuring a quick and efficient installation. Learn how to design your own implementation plan, become an internal expert on the topic for your company, and demonstrate the true ROI of your marketing automation platform.
- Take 10: How to Create a Tactical Sales and Marketing Plan in Eight Hours or LessReleased on 7/18/2014 with James ObermayerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create your own SWOT analysis, and well-defined goals, objectives, strategies, and tactics. With this information, you'll be able to develop your own sales and marketing plan in 8 hours (or less!).
Marketing Strategy: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- A Step-By-Step Guide to Marketing Automation SuccessIn this 24-page guide, you'll learn step-by-step what to do to effectively plan, prepare, implement, assess, and improve your marketing automation program for optimal results.
- The Three Cs of Successful PositioningIn this 15-page guide, you'll learn how to research the three Cs, their importance, and their impact on the positioning process. Just as positioning is the foundation for successful marketing, understanding the three Cs is the foundation for a positioning strategy that will set you apart from your competitors.
- Inbound Marketing: The Art of AttractionIn this 22-page guide, you'll learn how to understand the true value your company has in the marketplace, create great content in multiple iterations that meets customers where they are, and market your content across multiple channels to cement the relationship and convert prospects to leads.
- Content Machine: The Street Guide to Building a Successful Content Marketing Program in 7 WeeksMarketingProfs' 30-page How-To Guide, CONTENT MACHINE: The Street Guide to Building a Successful Content Marketing Program in 7 Weeks, provides a week-by-week agenda for launching your content marketing program using a strategic, systematic process.
- Slowpoke's Guide to Digital MarketingFeel like the digital marketing race began without you? Don't worry—you can still catch up to the social media superstars. The Slowpoke's Guide to Digital Marketing puts rocket fuel in your engine to propel your digital marketing campaigns.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to a Social Media Program: Everything you need to know about establishing your strategy, policy and teamThe adage “think before you speak” has now become “think before you write.” In this age of instant messaging, businesses need to wield their online words thoughtfully. Check out MarketingProfs “A Step-by-Step Guide to a Successful Social Media Program” to learn how to create your social media strategy, policy and team.
- Marketing Strategy GuideThis Guide explores the three stages of effective marketing, and how you can determine which approaches will give you the greatest bang for your buck.
- Benchmark Survey: Voice of the CustomerLink directly to the raw (aggregate) data in this 2006 survey of the ways companies are incorporating the voice of the customer into their marketing, their product development, and their management. With access to the raw data, you can view the results, and even filter them to see how a subset of companies in your country or industry answered. In this way, you can interpret the data in the most meaningful way for your business.