Marketing Strategy: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Seven Steps to Successful Marketing Technology AdoptionLeigh ChesleyMarketers today must stay current on trends, organize digital assets, monitor online conversations, measure ROI, and more. To handle those tasks, you need marketing technology. These steps will help ensure ...
#SocialSkim: More Ways to Sell Directly on Twitter, Plus 10 More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadTwitter's Buy Now button is now easier to access. Also: Facebook's new GIF-style profile photos and TV-targeting tools, your content in an AdBlock era, Twitter's possible move into long-form content, ...
2016 B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets, and TrendsAnn HandleyHow do B2B marketers measure content marketing success? Which metric do they say is most important? Which tactics do they use? What increases content effectiveness? What do the most effective ...
#SocialSkim: Facebook Signal Helps Journalists Find You, Plus More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadLearn about Facebook Signal (and how to get journalists interested in your content). Also: Facebook's 360° videos, how the Emmys did on social, Dropbox's new tools for teams, and Atlas, ...
How Marketers Are Approaching Multicultural MarketingAyaz NanjiHalf of US marketers say they have initiatives in place to reach minority populations, such as African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asian-Americans, according to a recent report from the CMO Council and ...
Jared and Subway: A Fall From Grace, or Why Brands Should Use Micro-Influencers to Build CredibilityInga JohnsonFor years, Jared Fogle has been synonymous with Subway. So, when scandal hits, brands suffer from such celebrity enmeshment. They should've used non-celebrity micro-influencers instead.
How to Synchronize Your Marketing With the Customer JourneyJonathan MoranBrand loyalty isn't what it used to be. Consumers can now google your product or service and immediately see whether a competitor's pricing or location works better for them. Here's ...
Four Practical Tips for Resolving the CMO-CIO DisconnectKyle MetcalfIf CMOs and CIOs had to make their relationship status public, most would have to check "It's complicated." But if they can't cooperate, they can't create consistent, relevant customer experiences.
Blockbuster Marketing: Lessons From Hollywood's Mega-Earners [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiThe highest-earning movies capture their audiences before, during, and after the story unfurls. You can, too.
#SocialSkim: 30-Second Instagram Ads, Plus 10 More Stories in This Week's RoundupAngela NatividadGet the score on Instagram's latest push for brand love, Facebook's new "Shop" section, and Snapchat's growing video dominance. Also, how a target audience can totally transform your content marketing ...
Marketing Strategy: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
Fun and Games (and Marketing): Loaded Questions' Eric Poses on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneEric Poses, creator of the game "Loaded Questions," talks game marketing, social media, crowdfunding, and more.
Focus, Leadership, and Squirrels: Think Big, Act Bigger Author Jeffrey Hayzlett on the 200th Episode of Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneTV host, author, and business celebrity Jeffrey Hayzlett shares insights from his latest book, Think Big, Act Bigger: The Rewards of Being Relentless.
The Golden Age of B2B Marketing: Peter Isaacson of Demandbase on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneDemandbase Chief Marketing Officer Peter Isaacson discusses the "golden age of B2B marketing," how to measure success, and using account-based marketing to increase revenue.
Sharing: You're Doing It Wrong. 'Shareology' Author Bryan Kramer on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneSocial business strategist and bestselling author Bryan Kramer discusses the science and the art of sharing, and how to use it to make your content more valuable (and shareable),
How to Go Beyond Just Telling Your Brand Story: Christian Lachel on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneChristian Lachel shares his secrets to building lasting customer relationships through emotionally evocative brand experiences that increase loyalty and drive revenue. He and his team at BRC Imagination Arts have created some of the world's most memorable brand experiences.
Win With Mobile Games: Kevin Bachus of Dave & Buster's on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneKevin Bachus, co-creator of the Xbox, senior VP of entertainment and games strategy at Dave & Buster's, discusses how the company uses mobile games to stay connected with customers between visits.
How to Keep Your Marketing Legal: Attorney Sara Hawkins on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAttorneys Sara F. Hawkins and Kerry O'Shea Gorgone discuss the latest tips from the FTC on how brands and bloggers should legally disclose sponsored content and run promotions.
Why Millennials Ignore Your Marketing (and How to Fix That): Matt Britton on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMillennials are masters at tuning out marketing messages, but you can connect with this elusive demographic: You just need a different approach. YouthNation author Matt Britton explains how to engage today's youth.
Mastering the Content Code: Mark Schaefer on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor, speaker, and educator Mark Schaefer discusses his latest book, The Content Code, and shares secrets for igniting your content so you can break through the deafening noise and achieve marketing success.
Marketing That Surprises: A Special Guest Host Takes Over Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneIn line with the theme of this episode—marketing that surprises—as well as the day it airs (April Fools' Day), a surprise host takes over Marketing Smarts to discuss campaigns that surprise and (sometimes) delight!
Marketing Strategy: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Creating Trustworthy ContentBroadcast on 10/1/2015 with Gerry McGovernIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to create an online customer experience that's based on trust. You'll walk away knowing how to create trustworthy content and armed with a solid understanding of guidelines for creating no-fluff content that your customers will use and believe in.
- Smarketing—What It Is and Why You Need to Master ItBroadcast on 9/24/2015 with Peter StrohkorbIn this PRO seminar, we'll discuss the recent phenomenon of smarketing: sales and marketing working together to be competitive in the new buyer's journey. We'll share examples of highly collaborative companies that have applied smarketing and the role it played in their success. You'll leave with actionable advice on how you can introduce this concept to your organization and an understanding of the benefits it can offer.
- Case Study: Reframe Your Media Strategy to Identify and Engage New AudiencesBroadcast on 7/16/2015 with Alyssa Hall, Emily VidettoIn this PRO seminar, we'll explain how GAF Roofing redefined their media and branding strategy to engage a new audience and re-engage their traditional audiences through social, PR, television, video, and more. You'll learn how to tailor your approach to capture the attention of a shifting customer base as well as gain insight on how to update both your messaging and media to increase loyalty and engagement.
- Capturing Customers: How to Transition From Product Promoters to Trusted AdvisersBroadcast on 6/18/2015 with Carla JohnsonIn this PRO seminar, we'll talk about why marketers need to change their approach to capture and keep buyer attention. You'll learn how to transition your marketing from being product-centered into thought leadership centered, and ultimately, how to establish yourself as a trusted adviser within your industry. We'll also share the tactics that the best B2B brands are using to do exactly this.
- Turn Marketing Technology Into a Competitive AdvantageBroadcast on 6/4/2015 with Scott BrinkerIn this PRO seminar, you'll receive an overview of the current state of the marketing technology landscape and we'll discuss the principles by which you can harness it as a competitive advantage. You'll walk away with a better understanding of the intersection between marketing and technology, and gain tips to build a better relationship between marketing and IT.
- How to Build a Successful Content Marketing PlanBroadcast on 4/23/2015 with Michael BrennerIn this PRO seminar, we'll share the key factors for content marketing success and the core components of a content marketing strategy. You'll leave with some advanced tactics you can implement immediately to help you stand out and achieve success from your content marketing.
- How to Build a Comprehensive Social Media StrategyBroadcast on 4/2/2015 with Paul ChaneyIn this PRO seminar, we'll show you how to craft a well-planned social media engagement strategy that best fits your organization's goals and the needs of your target customers. You'll also learn how to develop metrics to help gauge and improve success over time, and the importance of regularly reviewing your strategy.
- How to Integrate Your Brand's Story Into Your Marketing ArsenalBroadcast on 2/5/2015 with Jennifer KaneIn this PRO seminar, we'll move beyond the hype of storytelling and share the essential components of all good stories. You'll receive hands-on, practical advice on what to do after your story is developed and how to strategically weave it into your content marketing plan. We'll also discuss best practices on how to publish and distribute your story to increase audience engagement and improve your ROI.
- Make Something People LoveBroadcast on 1/22/2015 with Alexis OhanianIn this PRO seminar, Alexis will share personal lessons learned from co-founding reddit, the world's largest platform for online communities. He'll discuss how he built hipmunk (a travel search comparison tool) in a crowded industry, and created Breadpig, a thriving community to support creatives in the age of crowdfunding—all with next to no marketing budget.
- MarketingProfs University: Customers Trump Analytics—Why Email Marketing Is About People, Not MetricsBroadcast on 12/4/2014 with Michael BarberIn this PRO seminar, we'll cover the latest email trends and research, and dive into specific examples of email branding, acquisition, loyalty, and retention strategies. You'll learn how to maximize the return on your efforts through improved writing techniques, a deeper understanding of user groups and behaviors, and much more!
Marketing Strategy: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Three Ways to Make Sure Your Press Release Gets NoticedReleased on 9/18/2015 with Nash RigginsIn just 10 minutes, we'll walk you through three simple steps to ensure your press releases make it to print. You'll learn how to craft a newsworthy angle, adhere to universal journalistic guidelines, and give editors just the right amount of spice to help your press release stand out from the rest.
- Take 10: Five Keys to a Better Direct Mail ListReleased on 8/21/2015 with Keith GoodmanIn just 10 minutes, we'll share the different types of prospect lists available as well as tips to help you select the right list to reach new customers. You'll also learn how to enhance and segment your existing marketing data to drive better results from your direct mail campaign.
- Take 10: Three Steps for Using Influencer Video to Increase Your Bottom LineReleased on 8/7/2015 with Mark LernerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn three simple steps to source quality influencer video and use it to impact your bottom line in a meaningful and measurable way. Using these steps, you'll be able to implement a strategy that will help you reach your goals and give you a leg up on the competition.
- Take 10: Seven Steps to Social Media Marketing SuccessReleased on 7/24/2015 with Paul ChaneyIn just 10 minutes, we'll walk you through seven steps to creating an effective social media strategy. You'll learn how to incorporate the needs of your customer, align your tactics with your business goals and objectives, integrate other marketing initiatives, and determine the ROI of your social media marketing efforts.
- Take 10: How to Beat the Weekly Deadline Blues (and Get Ahead!)Released on 5/1/2015 with Roger C. ParkerIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to map out your editorial calendar for the year with 12 easy, monthly decisions instead of 52 weekly decisions. With the innovative ideas and tips covered in this Take 10, you'll be able to effortlessly manage your daily and weekly marketing activities.
- Take 10: How to Create a Social Media Listening StrategyReleased on 3/13/2015 with Christine B. WhittemoreIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to create a social media listening strategy that will jumpstart your social monitoring efforts, find conversations you can engage in, and help you to better identify prospective customers and industry thought leaders.
- Take 10: The 10 Web Marketing Areas You Need to Focus on NowReleased on 1/9/2015 with Stoney deGeyterIn just 10 minutes, we'll identify the top 10 online marketing areas you should be focusing on, and provide you with three action items for each. With your top 10 list and actionable to-dos in hand, you can eliminate the less impactful projects, and hone your time, money, and energy on what really matters and gives you the best ROI.
- Take 10: How to Develop a Dynamic Creative Briefing DocumentReleased on 1/2/2015 with R. Stephen RayfieldIn just 10 minutes, we'll discuss the key components of a creative briefing document. You'll be able to take what you learned and develop a document that provides solid direction and parameters to your agency, internal marketing communications team, and/or any other group that has a hand in developing your product or brand campaign.
- Take 10: Six Keys to Creating a Successful Direct Mail Campaign PlanReleased on 8/8/2014 with Keith GoodmanIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn six key points to address when developing a direct mail campaign plan. You'll walk away with the tactical tips and tools you need to increase your campaign's efficiency and effectiveness.
- Take 10: Day One With Marketing Automation, What to Do?Released on 8/1/2014 with Inga RomanoffIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn key steps for a full marketing automation migration, ensuring a quick and efficient installation. Learn how to design your own implementation plan, become an internal expert on the topic for your company, and demonstrate the true ROI of your marketing automation platform.
Marketing Strategy: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- The Post-Mobilegeddon Survival GuideThis 24-page guide will teach you how to optimize your website for mobile so that your home base can be badged "mobile friendly" and earn the search rank it deserves.
- 62 Best Practices of Top Business BloggersThis 24-page guide will provide you with valuable nuggets of wisdom that will help you supercharge your business blog. You’ll learn directly from a long list of strategies that have proven effective for top business bloggers.
- A Step-By-Step Guide to Marketing Automation SuccessIn this 24-page guide, you'll learn step-by-step what to do to effectively plan, prepare, implement, assess, and improve your marketing automation program for optimal results.
- The Three Cs of Successful PositioningIn this 15-page guide, you'll learn how to research the three Cs, their importance, and their impact on the positioning process. Just as positioning is the foundation for successful marketing, understanding the three Cs is the foundation for a positioning strategy that will set you apart from your competitors.
- Inbound Marketing: The Art of AttractionIn this 22-page guide, you'll learn how to understand the true value your company has in the marketplace, create great content in multiple iterations that meets customers where they are, and market your content across multiple channels to cement the relationship and convert prospects to leads.
- Content Machine: The Street Guide to Building a Successful Content Marketing Program in 7 WeeksMarketingProfs' 30-page How-To Guide, CONTENT MACHINE: The Street Guide to Building a Successful Content Marketing Program in 7 Weeks, provides a week-by-week agenda for launching your content marketing program using a strategic, systematic process.
- Slowpoke's Guide to Digital MarketingFeel like the digital marketing race began without you? Don't worry—you can still catch up to the social media superstars. The Slowpoke's Guide to Digital Marketing puts rocket fuel in your engine to propel your digital marketing campaigns.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to a Social Media Program: Everything you need to know about establishing your strategy, policy and teamThe adage “think before you speak” has now become “think before you write.” In this age of instant messaging, businesses need to wield their online words thoughtfully. Check out MarketingProfs “A Step-by-Step Guide to a Successful Social Media Program” to learn how to create your social media strategy, policy and team.
- Marketing Strategy GuideThis Guide explores the three stages of effective marketing, and how you can determine which approaches will give you the greatest bang for your buck.
- Benchmark Survey: Voice of the CustomerLink directly to the raw (aggregate) data in this 2006 survey of the ways companies are incorporating the voice of the customer into their marketing, their product development, and their management. With access to the raw data, you can view the results, and even filter them to see how a subset of companies in your country or industry answered. In this way, you can interpret the data in the most meaningful way for your business.