Branding: How-to articles covering the latest marketing tactics, tips, and strategies.
Build Your Brand by Separating It From ProductBrian BennettOften, the hardest thing for a marketer to do—conceptually—is to separate brand from product. "Our brand and product are inseparable," I've heard it said—by some very successful people. But that's ...
Your Website's URL: An Expensive .com Domain Name... or These Creative Alternatives?Mark SkoultchiOne of the hardest financial decisions when naming or renaming a company or product is whether you should splurge for the exact .com domain name—and, if not, how you should ...
The 20 Most Valuable Global Brands in 2015Ayaz NanjiApple is the most valuable global brand in 2015, followed by Google, according to a recent report from Millward Brown.
The Business Case for Rebranding: Nine Essential ElementsJim HeiningerGaining leadership support and financial investment for a rebrand requires careful preparation of a rebranding business case that clearly outlines the need, the opportunity, the risks, and the cost of ...
Five Marketing Lessons From Taylor Swift, Brand SavantKatie L. FettingSay what you will about her music, persona, or awards-show grooving... Taylor Swift is a marketing genius. From product launches and rebrands to borrowed equity and social media domination, her ...
How to Grow Your Social Communities With VisualsPoppie PackUsing effective imagery is a big part of the marketing process. By combining images with useful information and conveying your brand, you'll be well on your way to building an ...
How to Reinvent Your Marketing for This Century [Infographic]Verónica Maria JarskiTechnology has transformed how brands reach out to today's consumers. Some brands, however, are still stuck in the old ways of marketing. Is yours?
Five Things You Can Learn From the Most Authentic Brands in the WorldAdele Halsall"Authenticity" has become a word that's bandied about in marketing, and businesses are striving to align with this increasingly valued concept. But what does it mean to be authentic in ...
The 21 Most (and Least) Trusted Companies in the United StatesAyaz NanjiCredit unions and H-E-B, a grocery store chain headquartered in Texas, are the most trusted companies by consumers in the United States, according to a recent report from Temkin.
Is Your On-Hold Audio Irritating Customers? Three Don'ts and Five Do'sPeter LinnBeing on hold on the phone is probably one of the most attention-focused customer touchpoints there is. It can have a huge impact on how your customers feel about your ...
Branding: Podcasts containing in-depth interviews with smart marketers from all walks of life.
From B2C and B2B to H2H (Human to Human): Bryan Kramer Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneB2B and B2C marketers both need to create marketing communications that speak H2H (human to human). Social strategist and author Bryan Kramer shares a communication framework all marketers can use.
Brand Attachment: Larry Vincent Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneLarry Vincent, founder and executive director of The Brand Studio at United Talent Agency, discusses brand attachment, including how marketers can use it to predict buying behavior.
How to Make a Lasting Impression: 'Clarity Therapist' Steve Woodruff Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea Gorgone"Clarity therapist" Steve Woodruff explains how you can break through the noise, help people to understand your business, and ensure that they remember what you do so that they can connect you with potential customers.
The Language of Brand Love: Loveworks Author Brian Sheehan Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneAuthor Brian Sheehan discusses his latest book "Loveworks," the characteristics of beloved brands, and how you can create a "sensual experience" for your prospects and customers.
Entrepreneurial Spirit: The Founders of Barefoot Wine Talk to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneMichael Houlihan and Bonnie Harvey started Barefoot Wine in a laundry room and grew it into one of the top US wine brands. They talk about how their approach to selling wine disrupted the industry, and what others can learn ...
Tasteful Branding: Supermarket Superstar Chris Cornyn Talks to Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Kerry O'Shea GorgoneFood branding expert Chris Cornyn serves up marketing advice for would-be food entrepreneurs—including on the Lifetime reality series "Supermarket Superstars."
We Are Here to Persuade People: Michael Weiss of figure18 on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantMichael Weiss, managing director at figure18 and a veteran speaker, consultant, client advocate, and sales executive, has an interesting perspective on marketing and advertising, not to mention the role of the agency, in today's always-on, always-open business environment.
Reaching the Unreachable: Boston University's Dean Elmore on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBoston University's Dean of Students Kenn Elmore discusses BU's sometimes-pioneering use of social media, including for "reaching the unreachable." During our conversation, I asked him to explain what he meant by "the unreachable."
Does Your Brand Have a Visual Hammer? Laura Ries on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantThis week's guest , Laura Ries, believes in tying a brand's core message (the "verbal nail") to a striking visual image (the "visual hammer"). Her premise is straightforward: To leave a lasting impression on the mind of customers and potential ...
Every Brand Needs an Editor: Marketoonist Tom Fishburne on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]by Matthew GrantBrands are now publishers. That's no longer news. But what are the implications? For one, brands need editors—and not just for their content. In this episode, Tom Fishburne, the Marketoonist, explains that he learned the power of editing while working ...
Branding: Online seminar broadcasts from the best minds in marketing
- Words That Stick: How to Make Your Brand GoogleableBroadcast on 8/6/2015 with Jeremy MillerIn this PRO seminar, we'll explain why you need simple clarity, how to achieve it, and most importantly, how to apply it to your brand to boost sales. You'll learn how to succinctly describe what makes your brand unique, and give your brand credibility by speaking about it with authority.
- MarketingProfs University: The Ultimate Recipe for a Great Brand StoryBroadcast on 6/11/2015 with Meg TrippIn this PRO seminar, we'll guide you through the brand storytelling tips, tools, and techniques you'll need to create something your audience can't resist—and that they won't get tired of sharing.
- How to Integrate Your Brand's Story Into Your Marketing ArsenalBroadcast on 2/5/2015 with Jennifer KaneIn this PRO seminar, we'll move beyond the hype of storytelling and share the essential components of all good stories. You'll receive hands-on, practical advice on what to do after your story is developed and how to strategically weave it into your content marketing plan. We'll also discuss best practices on how to publish and distribute your story to increase audience engagement and improve your ROI.
- Make Something People LoveBroadcast on 1/22/2015 with Alexis OhanianIn this PRO seminar, Alexis will share personal lessons learned from co-founding reddit, the world's largest platform for online communities. He'll discuss how he built hipmunk (a travel search comparison tool) in a crowded industry, and created Breadpig, a thriving community to support creatives in the age of crowdfunding—all with next to no marketing budget.
- MarketingProfs University: Building the Living, Breathing BrandBroadcast on 6/13/2013 with Tamsen WebsterThis PRO seminar will teach you how to make your brand work for you by going beyond taglines and slogans and giving it the eyes, ears, and legs it takes to become an integral part of your customers' lives.
- Brand Yourself: Busting the Nine-Second BarrierBroadcast on 3/14/2013 with KiKi L'ItalienThis PRO seminar will teach you how to establish a cohesive personal brand, have better personal relationships, and live the life you were meant to live.
- How to Become a Trusted Brand and Industry LeaderBroadcast on 1/17/2013 with John MorganIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn how to position your brand as a go-to authority in your industry. We'll discuss how to increase your visibility and explore the critical difference between marketing and branding (and how an understanding of that difference can help you).
- How to Hammer Your Brand Into the Minds of Your ConsumersBroadcast on 7/19/2012 with Laura RiesIn this PRO seminar, you'll learn about the ten types of visual hammers, why you need one, and how to find the perfect one for your brand.
- MarketingProfs University: Presentations That Resonate With Me! How to Persuade Any AudienceBroadcast on 11/18/2011 with Nancy DuarteJoin us for this special PRO seminar with Nancy Duarte and learn a new way of structuring a presentation and connecting with an audience.
- Seven Keys to a Successful BlogBroadcast on 4/28/2011 with Jennifer CisneyJoin us for this PRO seminar with Jennifer Cisney, Kodak's chief blogger, and learn the keys to blogging success. Based on best practices learned firsthand at Kodak—an early-adopter of social media, which launched its first brand blog in 2006—she'll cover how blogging and social media tactics can inform product improvements and brand experiences through real consumer interactions.
Branding: Tutorials — tactical marketing know-how in just 10 minutes from subject matter experts
- Take 10: Three Steps to Creating Elite Brand AmbassadorsReleased on 4/10/2015 with Robin SamoraIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to identify employees or subcontractors as a brand ambassadors who can represent your product, service, or brand. We'll discuss how to educate them on your company's unique story, company values, and how to help you attract new talent to keep your brand top of mind.
- Take 10: Three Critical Steps to Launching Your Audio BrandReleased on 4/25/2014 with Colleen FaheyIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to identify your brand's key values and you'll discover how to turn these values into a musical vocabulary unique to your brand.
- Take 10: Striking The Balance Between Merchandising and Branding for Your Ecommerce WebsiteReleased on 6/7/2013 with Brent NiemuthIn just 10 minutes, learn how to appeal to basic human instincts and create an online experience that will delight anyone who visits your site while encouraging sales.
- Take 10: How to Build a Socially Savvy BrandReleased on 2/15/2013 with Heidi CohenIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to define all aspects of your brand, from colors to images, sound, video, the tangible and intangible elements, and more.
- Take 10: Is Your Company Ready for Social Business?Released on 1/18/2013 with Daria SteigmanIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn ten tips that will help you plan for your evolution into a social business by leveraging people, processes, and technology.
- Take 10: Six Ways to Turn Your Brand Into Eye Candy for Your ConsumersReleased on 6/1/2012 with Nick WestergaardIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how to proactively prepare your brand for this social visual revolution and ensure that you have a sexy and cohesive brand image that's ready for consumption by your audience.
- Take 10: Four Ways to Monetize Local Daily DealsReleased on 5/18/2012 with Amy FowlerJust like everything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to add daily deals into your marketing mix. In just 10 minutes, you'll learn the right way to make daily deals lucrative for your business.
- Take 10: How to Effectively Use Traditional Marketing in the Digital AgeReleased on 4/6/2012 with Elaine FogelIn just 10 minutes, you'll learn how you can use traditional marketing (print advertising, direct mail, etc.) as the perfect complement to your digital marketing strategy.
- Take 10: Crank Up Conversions With Your Facebook Welcome TabReleased on 11/12/2010 with Zach WelchDid you know that for every 100 people who visit a branded Facebook page, only an average of 23% convert into fans? In just 10 minutes, Facebook whiz Zach Welch will show you what to change, and how to change it, so that your fan conversion rates rise and you can effectively continue reaching out to those users.
- Take 10: Everything You Need to Know About LinkedIn AnswersReleased on 7/16/2010 with Jason AlbaThis webcast teaches you how to craft questions that put your brand in front of your prospects and clients as well as establish you as a thought leader in your space. Plus, LinkedIn expert Jason Alba shows you how to participate by answering questions from other LinkedIn members as well.
Branding: Marketing downloads for the busy professional
- The Three Cs of Successful PositioningIn this 15-page guide, you'll learn how to research the three Cs, their importance, and their impact on the positioning process. Just as positioning is the foundation for successful marketing, understanding the three Cs is the foundation for a positioning strategy that will set you apart from your competitors.
- Mobile Marketing Success StoriesMobile marketing campaigns can be inexpensive, easy to execute, and very profitable. See how 8 B2B and 11 B2C companies are using SMS, mobile websites, mobile ads, Smartphone applications, and Bluetooth marketing to achieve huge results.
- Facebook Success StoriesWhen it comes to social networking sites, Facebook boasts the most loyal visitors on the Web. So it's easy to see why successful brands are embracing it as a platform to connect with customers. Facebook Success Stories gives you the real scoop on how 21 companies, including Adobe and Dunkin' Donuts, are pushing the social media marketing envelope using Facebook's tools and apps.
- Social Media ROI Success StoriesLearn how social media is changing the way we market to consumers and businesses, and how 11 companies are measuring and monitoring the success of their social media campaigns.
- Email Success Stories: How 11 companies are pushing the (electronic) envelopePropel your email marketing efforts beyond the subject line. Read Email Success Stories: How 11 companies are pushing the (electronic) envelope to learn how to convert your emails into money-making machines.
- Twitter Success Stories: How 11 Companies are Achieving Their Marketing Objectives—140 Characters at a TimeTwitter’s brief tweets let you communicate with friends and family. But did you know that those 140 characters can also build your business? Read Twitter Success Stories: How 11 companies are achieving their marketing objectives, 140 characters at a time.
- E-Newsletter How-To GuideThe e-newsletter has become ubiquitous. Almost a dime a dozen. How do you make yours not only stand out in the inbox, but make a positive impact on your bottom line? This guide will show you how.
- Branding and Brand EquityThere isn't a single marketing topic that has dominated the last decade of the field of marketing than Branding. And, although it's certain you have at the very least put your toe in the water of the great Branding Lake, you will get nothing but good advice, confirmation of your strategies and tactics, and probably even some new ideas from this Marketing Guide.